A123 Solves Lithium Battery Heat Issues?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrink

Interesting updated article from Jay:

http://insideevs.com/a123-updates-next-gen-nanophosphate-ext-batteries-solves-lithium-battery-heat-issues/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Snippet:

Just to repeat, that is 167 degrees Fahrenheit they are testing these pack ats; hotter than any recorded temperature on Earth. And under these extreme condition, after 700 full cycles, the pack is still retaining 90% of life.

In “LEAF miles” that would be 90%retnetion after 50,400 clicks, in 167 degree weather.

The competition, which is clearly the LMO (lithium manganese oxide) cells found in the Chevy Volt and Nissan LEAF, faired much worse, losing over a third of their capacity. It should also be noted that drop off on the curve for ‘the competitor’ is extreme even at 65% left.

Please post all stuff like this here-

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We could fill an entire forum with the announcements.

EVDRIVER said:
Please post all stuff like this here-

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We could fill an entire forum with the announcements.

Gotcha. Didn't see that thread. Feel free to delete or move this.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i dont blame for making a separate thread. this announcement is definitely a cut above the rest

Except that it is coming from a company that is trying to save itself from bankruptcy. It is still just a press release and they come a dime a dozen from the battery industry. And from a company that is on the brink of closure. It "smells" of the new owners trying desperately to save the company. I agree that it should remain in the "future battery technology" thread.

palmermd said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
i dont blame for making a separate thread. this announcement is definitely a cut above the rest

Except that it is coming from a company that is trying to save itself from bankruptcy. It is still just a press release and they come a dime a dozen from the battery industry. And from a company that is on the brink of closure. It "smells" of the new owners trying desperately to save the company. I agree that it should remain in the "future battery technology" thread.

there was a lot of speculation as to why China bailed them out...guess we probably know why now. i see their stock has gone up 75% in a week. cat is out of the bag!

**edit** oh forget the stock comment (cellphone is limited) checked my broker site and the price is on a boomerang right now

Well, at least this is a little more believable than some of the other "battery breakthroughs" claiming huge increases in power density.

"700 full DOD cycles (at an aggressive 4C discharge rage)"

So quick charging should not be a problem anymore for longer trips :D .

ya but look at degradation rates at lower temps like we would see in the Pac NW. its more like 10% loss in ten years instead of 30%. much nicer

Back