80% Charge only 9 bars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I lost my first CB a week ago, then for about 5 days I was getting 10 bars but now it is 9 bars every day again. Does this mean I'm about to lose the second bar? A bit too soon.

Valdemar said:
So I lost my first CB a week ago, then for about 5 days I was getting 10 bars but now it is 9 bars every day again. Does this mean I'm about to lose the second bar? A bit too soon.

I view the 9 bar charging more as a symptom than an indicator. To know if the second bar is due to go out, use a true GID meter or Turbo3's LEAF Battery App.

JPWhite said:
Valdemar said:

I view the 9 bar charging more as a symptom than an indicator. To know if the second bar is due to go out, use a true GID meter or Turbo3's LEAF Battery App.

Yeah, I know. It's time to get one, I guess.

My car was delivered May 2011. Last summer my 80% charge was frequently to 9 bars and I expected I might lose a capacity bar. In the Fall it went back to 10 bar charges where it stayed until 3 days ago. With the return of hot weather, and coincidentally(?) my return from a little road trip, it went back to 9 bars at 80%. Yesterday I didn't move the car - just left it plugged in. Last night it drew another 0.2 kWh and went to 10 bars. I still have all 12 capacity bars but some noticeable range degradation. I haven't yet gotten a meter to quantify the loss.

Valdemar said:
Normal. I give you 9 to 14 months to lose the next bar.

Anyone else getting 9 bars again? Started seeing them periodically in the last week - seems to be picking up in frequency again.

Actually, I'm back to 8/10 bars @80% since my P3227 update. I'm curious to see how long that lasts, and whether I make it through the summer without a second bar loss (we've yet to hit the really hot part of the summer).

Add me to the list of owners seeing nine charge bars following an 80% charge. This happened today for the first time, although I will say that I did not check the charge level for about one hour after the charge completed.

I don't know if it is significant, but the car has not been to 100% for quite a while until just the other day. Normally, it sits around at three bars and gets charged enough to make the trip while returning back to three bars. Wishful thinking has me wondering if the cells may be getting out of balance due to the lack of charging to 100% or even 80%. I seriously doubt we will lose a capacity bar before next summer at the very earliest, but we shall see.

RegGuheert said:
Add me to the list of owners seeing nine charge bars following an 80% charge. This happened today for the first time, although I will say that I did not check the charge level for about one hour after the charge completed.

I don't know if it is significant, but the car has not been to 100% for quite a while until just the other day. Normally, it sits around at three bars and gets charged enough to make the trip while returning back to three bars. Wishful thinking has me wondering if the cells may be getting out of balance due to the lack of charging to 100% or even 80%. I seriously doubt we will lose a capacity bar before next summer at the very earliest, but we shall see.
Do you have an ELM327? What's your Ah reading?

My 9-bar 80% charges have been almost constant for the last 3 weeks. Currently at 55.99 Ah and 71.36% Health. Got my first one this year a month ago when the car read 57.94 Ah, so maybe dipping under 58 Ah was the trigger.

Damn - I lost 2 Ah in a month? That's ~0.7 kWh!

drees said:
Do you have an ELM327? What's your Ah reading?
I thought about purchasing one, but I found that the software does not run on any of our five Android phones. Perhaps after the next phone upgrade we will be able to run it.
drees said:
My 9-bar 80% charges have been almost constant for the last 3 weeks. Currently at 55.99 Ah and 71.36% Health. Got my first one this year a month ago when the car read 57.94 Ah, so maybe dipping under 58 Ah was the trigger.

Damn - I lost 2 Ah in a month? That's ~0.7 kWh!
Thanks for the update, but sorry about the loss you are seeing! I could believe we are around 58 Ah.

I always got 10 bars with 80% timer charging. I started seeing 9 bars with 80% timer charging since the weather started to get warm in spring this year (2014). Very rarely I would see all 10 bars as before at 80% charge. I recently purchased LEAFspy and Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. So today at 80% charge I got 9 bars as usual and I checked the SOC was at 79.9 . I turned off the timer and started charging again for a couple of minutes and the 10th bar came on at SOC 80.3 .

I am getting 9 bars at 80% sometimes now. About 29K miles and 3.5 years since I got the LEAF.

Still have all 12 bars on the 100% reading.

Back