$7500 a good idea?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having an instant "$7,500 rebate" sounds better than waiting until tax time to me, especially since my total liability will probably be slightly less than that amount. I'm not seeing the downside.

If I could get that rebate when my LEAF comes in, I would buy instead of leasing. Someone on a different thread said they thought it would be 2012 before one could get the rebate (wondering why they think that), but I disagree. I believe that if the proposal goes through, we will be able to use it within the next month or so. :mrgreen:

LEAFfan said:
If I could get that rebate when my LEAF comes in, I would buy instead of leasing. Someone on a different thread said they thought it would be 2012 before one could get the rebate (wondering why they think that), but I disagree. I believe that if the proposal goes through, we will be able to use it within the next month or so. :mrgreen:
I said that, and my reasoning was that if it goes through it would be most likely be as part of the fiscal year 2012 budget, which doesn't take effect until October 2011. Then, in a typical stalling maneuver, the legislators would be likely to put an effective date of January 1 on it, "to simplify things for consumers who use a calendar year for their taxes."

Obviously Congress could pass a law on this outside the budget process, but nothing with even a whiff of possible dissent gets through the Senate in a "month or so." With a Republican House and a balky Senate, I'm betting that the bill would be tied up in hearings until at least the summer, even if it was handled separately.

Ray

Back