70 Mile 1 way commute - Will Leaf Work?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I have a 70 mile one way commute, with a rough mileage break down like this:

16 miles - 55 - 60
40 miles - 70 - 75
14 miles - 55 - 60

I live in Indiana, so winters can get cold. I will be able to L2 charge once I reach work.

Would the Leaf work for me?

If you need any more info let me know. Thanks!

(Edited to include more information)

I think the previous point is you need to give mileage, not time.
You also didn't specify whether your working charging is L1 or L2.
If you insist on driving 75 mph, then it may not matter whether you're going 50, or 70 (or 84) miles, because you won't make it in the winter when battery capacity is (temporarily) impacted (even with a "new" heater).
IF you can keep the speed down ~60 mph AND you can charge on L2 at work, then you MIGHT make it, BUT it's not an ideal situation for an EV (lots of battery cycles).

ConsideringALeaf said:
Hello,

I have a 70 mile one way commute. Would the Leaf work for me? I spend roughly 50 minutes doing around 70 - 75 and 25 minutes doing 55 ish. I live in Indiana, so winters can get cold. I will be able to charge once I reach work. If you need any more info let me know. Thanks!
This would be outside of my comfort zone. I am almost positive you would be able to make it in the car is new and, if you have L2 at work you would be able to make it home. However, once your battery loses some capacity, your commute would begin to require some hyper-mile driving and avoiding any side trips. Do-able but not my cup of tea. Some one has mentioned that a 50 mile total commute or less (without charging), is the sweet spot as the battery ages.

Thanks for the replies, the charger is an L2 charger.

Here is a better break down of milage:

16 miles - 55 - 60
40 miles - 70 - 75
14 miles - 55 - 60

ConsideringALeaf said:
Hello,

I have a 70 mile one way commute. Would the Leaf work for me? I spend roughly 50 minutes doing around 70 - 75 and 25 minutes doing 55 ish. I live in Indiana, so winters can get cold. I will be able to charge once I reach work. If you need any more info let me know. Thanks!

High speeds like that will cut efficiency quite a bit and would reduce your overall range; add sub freezing temps in the mix and might be a stretch even if charged to 100% daily. The forum has charts that show efficiency at various speeds but I believe these are at optimal temps. I can share with you that on my daily commute (30 mile R/T) which is a mix of NW suburban Chicago driving probably 35 to 55 MPH I get 2 full days on 80% charge with about 14 to 15 miles left on the GOM. The car is quite efficient when the temps are like San Diego (up to the mid 70's) but doesn't like the real cold or real hot temps when you would also have to use the climate control system --- oddly enough, the A/C draws less than the heater. If you could manage less high speeds it would be better but if it was me I'd have a back up for the real cold or hot days -- on the Chicagoland thread, we had a LEAF owner switch to a Volt due to range issues so you may want to check on the specifics written there as it pretty much applies to the Indiana area as well.

You could get 70 miles per charge fairly easily with a new battery, without using the climate control if you are willing to slow down a bit from the 75 mph, but as the battery degrades (it will no doubt degrade fairly quickly charging to 100% and discharging to near 0% twice a day), or if you need to use the climate control much, you won't make it. The simple answer in my opinion is that a Leaf won't work for you. I also would not suggest getting a Volt since you will be using gas for more than half of your commute, and the volt doesn't get great mileage on gas. A Prius (not a plug in Prius) is probably your best bet.

No, will not work well for you.
Might work with brand new and summer conditions if you charge to 100%, but the speeds you are talking about and distance is near the limits.
Keep in mind, that for most people in overall average conditions, the LEAF is a 40 to 60 mile range vehicle.
Can it do more, yes, with the right kind of driving and when new and in warm weather.
But overall for most people, it is nominally a 40 to 60 mile range vehicle.

Might work if you have fast charger available along the trip or willing to drive slower than 70 when others are doing 75.
I can easily get 84 miles, 92 longest, on my 4 month old car, but average speed is below 62 mph.
As others have said you will run into trouble below freezing, head wind, high speeds, and when car gets older.

Don't do it, won't work and here is why. You get to work and have a family emergency at home, you are stuck at office till car charged. Get a Volt instead.

Ian B

ConsideringALeaf said:
Hello,
I have a 70 mile one way commute, with a rough mileage break down like this:
16 miles - 55 - 60
40 miles - 70 - 75
14 miles - 55 - 60
I live in Indiana, so winters can get cold. I will be able to L2 charge once I reach work.
Would the Leaf work for me?
Hey the LEAF salesman told me I would get 100 miles per charge on average. 70 miles no problem. :lol:

Thanks for the honest feedback everyone, it is greatly appreciated!

Sounds like I'll be passing on a Leaf for now (keeping my Prius) but will look into again if I move, change jobs, or in a few years when range increases. Thanks again!

BTW, I get a smile on my face just thinking about others being able to drive fully electric vehicles. The future is going to be awesome, and I'm looking forward to being a part of it someday!

ConsideringALeaf said:

Sounds like I'll be passing on a Leaf for now (keeping my Prius) but will look into again if I move, change jobs, or in a few years when range increases. Thanks again!

BTW, I get a smile on my face just thinking about others being able to drive fully electric vehicles. The future is going to be awesome, and I'm looking forward to being a part of it someday!

Glad you made the correct decision. A Leaf isn't going to work for you. The Prius is still a good car, I had one before my Leaf.

ConsideringALeaf said:

yes the future is going to be awesome. The technology is only going to get better and the charging network will increase so that in a few years you won't have to worry about driving that far for work. it's unfortunate that the Tesla isn't cheaper since the range on that vehicle is amazing.

A Tesla Model S would work, you wouldn't even need to charge at work.
Of course, it's a bit more expensive than the Leaf :)
How much is never buying gas again worth to you?

Back