$5000 EV Rebate Workshop October 4, 2010

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More along the lines of Boomer23's response.

1) The rebate money is reserved to you as soon as you hit the submit key on the online application.
2) If you submit your request prior to signing your contract they will throw out the request.
3) Once thrown out you could re-apply and find the money has since been exhausted

I found out nothing new at the seminar. But I did get a ride in an IMiev!

Everybody (well, the same people over and over) had lots of questions. Pretty much there was no presentation, there was constant Q&A.

Boomer23 said:
garygid said:
I need to check CCSE's online instructions for filing the Application for the $5000 Rebate. When I went through those details a few months back, I saw no prohibition that would keep one from filing (and thus reserving the funds) BEFORE the purchase date. Of course, copies of the required (purchase and registration) documents had to be postmarked within 14 days of the Application.

So, maybe the rules have changed, or ... maybe there was a miscommunication?

Gary, I don't think you'll find that the wording has changed on the web site. But the CCSE staff member said that the intent of the program is for the online reservation of funds to be done when the car is delivered (i.e. when the sales/lease agreement is signed), so when they review the rebate application, they will make sure that the dates match and if they don't match, he said that they will release the funds back to the pot. They DO allow 14 days after that date for us to collect and send in the required hard copy documentation. The intent of the 14 days is to allow us reasonable time to collect those documents, not to pre-reserve the funds.

Plus, keep in mind that another 5 million has been allocated for the next round of funding, but until a state budget is passed, that number is suspect.

BUT, in the past, when the fund was gone, the fund was gone. NOW, you can still request the money even after the fund is gone and your name will go on their list. If the fund ever gets more money, they go back to the list and send out checks. So it's in everyone's best interest to register no matter what the state of funding is.

wow it's going to be a mad rush on that site the first day everyone gets their Leaf. Hopefully, the site won't crash. I imagine you could go to the site in the morning of the day you sign those contracts, so could you sign up at midnight?

malloryk said:
wow it's going to be a mad rush on that site the first day everyone gets their Leaf. Hopefully, the site won't crash. I imagine you could go to the site in the morning of the day you sign those contracts, so could you sign up at midnight?

LOL! Don't think for a minute, after these new revelations, that I'm not going to be sleeping on my PD's stoop waiting for them to arrive that morning!

malloryk said:
Even the initial online submitting of the form to reserve does require the VIN.
I suppose the dealer could read you the VIN as soon as it is on the lot but I do not want to risk going to the end of the line with resubmitting.

What I came away with last night is that early Leafers don't need to worry about the $5K rebate. There is $3.3M left in the fund right now, and they said they expect $3.1M to be left in December. That would fund rebates for 620 Leafs if that was the only vehicle applying (some others are eligible).

Since there aren't that many Leafs coming in December to California, no problem there...

We really should start up a pool to predict when the original rebate funding will run out. I might guess February plus or minus, but December Leafers should be okay....

thanks Randy, good to hear. so hopefully the dealerships will have computers set up so people can submit their claims right there. or I guess you could use an iphone too.

The FAQ at the CCSE site's Rebate Eligibile Vehicle (and Application) page does say to apply NOT BEFORE the "buying" signing day.

So, just before signing, I will apply for the Rebate and wait for the confirming email, then sign the LEAF purchase documents (after my Rebate is "reserved").

malloryk said:
thanks Randy, good to hear. so hopefully the dealerships will have computers set up so people can submit their claims right there. or I guess you could use an iphone too.

Yep, mallory, that's exactly what the CCSE staff envisions, that people will reserve the funds on their dealer's computer, a laptop, or a smart phone.

Of course, CCSE has to change their website so that when applying for the Leaf Rebate there is actually an "Apply Now" button where the Leaf photo is....Right now it says "Coming Soon Dec 2010". Of course, if you hover over the photo of the Leaf on that page it says "Honda Clarity" :)

I think it would be easier to apply for the rebate at home instead of at the dealers place. I'd also like to be monitoring my email when I hit submit to make sure that everything's working okay...Not to mention, why would I be sitting at the dealer's place with someone typing my name on their computer when I can be DRIVING MY NEW LEAF!!?!?!?! Bring it on!!!

Does anyone know where to find the presentation slides that were presented on October 4?

I've scoured the CCSE site, and SDG&E, but came up empty.

In particular, I'm am very interested to study the graphs that were glossed over quickly, like the public charger location map, and the SDG&E rate bar graph comparisons.

Thanks.

I don't think the graphs have been released, but on page 9 of the document below the CPUC has the costs for the different experimental rates for the different times listed by season...You could build your own graph pretty easily...

http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/word_pdf/AGENDA_RESOLUTION/119477.pdf

GroundLoop said:
Does anyone know where to find the presentation slides that were presented on October 4?

I've scoured the CCSE site, and SDG&E, but came up empty.

In particular, I'm am very interested to study the graphs that were glossed over quickly, like the public charger location map, and the SDG&E rate bar graph comparisons.

Thanks.

I believe they said that they would email them to us.

EDIT: 8 minutes after I wrote this, I got my email with the enclosed presentations. Check your in-box.

Good Morning,

First off let me thank all of you that made it out on Monday night for the workshop. I realize that Monday evening is not the most ideal time to listen to a few hours of presentations. With that being said, we wanted to schedule it so that it did not conflict with the majority of your work schedules.

Overall I think the workshop went well. As I mentioned to many of you, our main focus was to educate all of you about the rebate. However, we also wanted to bring in the main players to answer as many of your questions as we could. While some of you may have asked more than others, I think we all benefited from the process.

Kyle will be sending out an email shortly with all of the presentations attached. He has also included both Andy Hoskinson's email ([email protected]) and Adrienne Lovejoy's email ([email protected]) from ECOtality. Also we will be uploading a blog post later today on our website (http://energycenter.org/cvrp).

As I have mentioned before, the workshop on Monday was the first of a series of state-wide workshops to be held throughout October until mid December. We have finalized the date for Sacramento (November 10th and 11th) and San Francisco (November 23rd). However, we are still working with our partners in Los Angeles, Orange County and Fresno for dates in these areas. I will be releasing a new post for each of these dates once all the details are finalized.

Thanks again for all your support.

David

The presentations were very helpful. The workshop was very worthwhile. It was an extra bonus to hear and meet Andy from ECOtality. He was very informative and impressed me that he is a quality leader. It gave me a lot of confidence that, despite the huge job ahead for ECOtality to get the infrastructure in place, they will get it done and done well.

stanley

Back