$5000 EV Rebate Workshop October 4, 2010

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's any consolation for the folks that are too far away, our company (and in particular, my wife) is working w/ our contacts, to try and see if David's group can do a workshop here in O.C. after the S.D. workshop. All that is presuming we can get the sponsering all together. So, if anyone's interested in that as an option it'd be good to know.

How about posting a file with a compact summary of the "meat" of the meeting minutes?

Or, the full transcript of the meeting?
I might be able to edit it, and even pass it back for review, if needed.

That would get to the most people the fastest, thus doing the most good, with the minimum effort, manpower, and cost.

I am in for the OC meet up. Just let me know when and where. Also I could not help but notice that CA Hertz is claiming they will get 500 Leafs by this December. It would seem there goes $2,500,000 right there :shock: . Does anyone know if the rental car companies are going to be allowed to eat up all the CARB funds before real owners get a chance? Hertz will need to keep the Leafs for 3 years registered in CA to get the full rebate though. Surely I am not the first person to notice this but just wondering out loud I guess...

GOOD question to ask at the workshop ... do rental companies qualify ? Especially since they often move their cars around. And often sell used way before 3 years is up.

Ya, trying to find where I read about the 500 rental cars to check the exact wording and with who. Did find Enterprise;

"Enterprise received its first Nissan Leaf last week to use as a test model and announced it would receive the first of 500 electric cars in December to begin offering them in Los Angeles; San Diego; San Francisco; Phoenix; Portland, Ore.; Seattle; and Nashville, Tenn"

I always thought that rental car companies only kept cars for a very set time period or mileage?

neoplasticity said:
if i have a november 2010 order date, what are the chances, the funds will be there to get the 5000 rebate?
Unknown at this time. But if the CA state budget impasse finally gets solved, there's a good chance that shortly thereafter an additional $5million will get added to the CVRP fund. And THAT will go a long way and most likely cover you.

For those of us in the Bay Area, please start another thread when you do a workshop up here, and make sure to include Bay Area in the thread title. Thank you in advance.

neoplasticity said:
if i have a november 2010 order date, what are the chances, the funds will be there to get the 5000 rebate?

When did you reserve ? You can get approximate # of reservations before yours in the thread about reservation #s. Assume 50% of reservations is in CA and 50% of those will actually order ...

I went to the workshop tonight...Had to leave before the last speaker to keep the peace at home :) but I think I heard the bulk of what I went for...

Presentations are supposed to be posted online, but what I can say is that the bulk of the info was discussed in the Q&A sessions. So you really need to attend to hear the whole message. Future workshops are planned for other locations over the next couple of months.

Randy

I went to the workshop here in SAN this evening also. Seemed like almost everybody there was a "Leaf person". I Didn't really learn anything new that hasn't been discussed here already. But I did get to meet and chat briefly with Leon K. from Mossy Nissan.

One thing the fellow from Ecotality mentioned was that: if your free charger application has been "approved", Ecotality will not contact you until after you have placed your order, and in sufficient time to install the charger before you take delivery.

I also attended tonight.

The salient points that were new to me:

From the CCSE staff:
*They expect there to be $3.1 million left of the 2009-10 funds by December.
*The $5 million for 2010-11 funding is in the state budget and is awaiting final budget approval and signing before being added to the funds available for rebates.
*Online requests for funds must be done on the day the purchase or lease is signed, i.e. delivery date of your Leaf. They will check the date of the agreement against the date the funds were reserved online. If the funds were reserved before the date on the purchase/lease agreement, they'll release the funds back to the pot for re-use.
*Regarding rental car companies, businesses based in California do qualify. So we might want to research where Enterprise and Hertz are based. And yes, they must keep the cars for 3 years to get to keep the full rebate. But if they sell them before three years, they have to give only part of it back, at that time.
* Not news to me, but the response to the question about whether the rebates are taxable was that the CCSE is not issuing 1099s.

From the EV Project speaker, Andy Lovejoy:
* Leaf delivery dates are based on order date. From what I could interpret, he said that Nissan releases the names of those able to order to the EV Project according to Nissan's schedule, which he was told relates to the order of reservation, and EV Project status does not dictate ordering date. I told him that this is a subject of hot debate on this forum, with some folks saying that their ability to order was delayed by "pending" status, and he said that wasn't the case, that ordering was controlled by Nissan's schedule. I asked him if EV Project customers were being prioritized for delivery before non-EV Project customers, and he said no, that Nissan is spreading ordering and delivery out by their own parameters.

He said that for non EV Project customers, Blink Level 2 EVSEs can be ordered now and delivered in December (price $1,195).

He said that charging at public L2 and DC quick chargers installed by the EV Project will be free of charge through May, 2011. Then the price of charging will be at the discretion of the property owner. :eek:

He said that DC quick chargers will be installed along major highways and junctions that link the EV Project locations such as San Diego and LA. So we can expect to see quick chargers in Orange and Riverside Counties, etc. Decisions on these locations are just now being made and locations will be available from the EV Project before too long.

I need to check CCSE's online instructions for filing the Application for the $5000 Rebate. When I went through those details a few months back, I saw no prohibition that would keep one from filing (and thus reserving the funds) BEFORE the purchase date. Of course, copies of the required (purchase and registration) documents had to be postmarked within 14 days of the Application.

So, maybe the rules have changed, or ... maybe there was a miscommunication?

garygid said:
I need to check CCSE's online instructions for filing the Application for the $5000 Rebate. When I went through those details a few months back, I saw no prohibition that would keep one from filing (and thus reserving the funds) BEFORE the purchase date. Of course, copies of the required (purchase and registration) documents had to be postmarked within 14 days of the Application.

So, maybe the rules have changed, or ... maybe there was a miscommunication?

Gary, I don't think you'll find that the wording has changed on the web site. But the CCSE staff member said that the intent of the program is for the online reservation of funds to be done when the car is delivered (i.e. when the sales/lease agreement is signed), so when they review the rebate application, they will make sure that the dates match and if they don't match, he said that they will release the funds back to the pot. They DO allow 14 days after that date for us to collect and send in the required hard copy documentation. The intent of the 14 days is to allow us reasonable time to collect those documents, not to pre-reserve the funds.

Back