240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dependin upon pricing, the 16A Leviton L2 EVSE might be a good basic answer.

I want smaller size not for the wall space, but for the ease of transporting it.

I will be finding out all about the EV2104, and I suspect that it has a screen,
but I have yet to see one. Apparently it will display the kWh used in charging,
possibly for the month and for this charge.

I should know some more details late tomorrow.

I would like to get the price on the Leviton and the rest of the questions answered on the EVSE first, Then make a decision. I think a group buy is the way to go if we get a discount and they can drop ship.

As always, device "working" will/can/might vary.

Does anybody have an EV with J1772 input so we can try charging?
OK, I thought not. :)

But, just measuring the output voltage after "tricking" the EVSE into thinking that it is connected to a car ... would be a partial test. Creating a GFI fault condition with a resistor would test more. So I can test the one I will get.

However, it would be nice to test it for real.

Unable to make contact with these guys. Multiple unanswered phone messages and e-mails.

Today sent the following e-mail to: '[email protected]'

Title: "Are you for real?"
Text: "My wife and I have been trying for over a week to establish communications with your company...what's up? Trying to buy your EV2104 - CHARGE@HOME™ ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATION."

Any suggestions? Am I using the wrong e-mail? Or should I just write them off?

thanks

dpodoll said:
Unable to make contact with these guys. Multiple unanswered phone messages and e-mails.

Today sent the following e-mail to: '[email protected]'

Title: "Are you for real?"
Text: "My wife and I have been trying for over a week to establish communications with your company...what's up? Trying to buy your EV2104 - CHARGE@HOME™ ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATION."

Any suggestions? Am I using the wrong e-mail? Or should I just write them off?

thanks
I have emailed them twice and they responded within 5 minutes each time. I have not tried calling. Just a suggestion, you may try emailing them from a different email account if you have one, just in case it's not making it through a spam filter. Although, there is no excuse for not returning a phone call.

I am guessing that they are not working on the weekends.

I got an email early today, but it might have been sent on Friday.

I sent a long response, and I was disappointed that I did not get a reply today. But, it is the weekend, and this appears to be a small outfit. I am still hoping that they have a good product to sell.

However, we should use some caution. Hopefully I will hear more Monday, but ... we shall see.

I'm not considering this company as the unit is likely a chinese made to spec EVSE and this is not a company with a long record of product history and support. Wifi and key fobs are pointless in residential use as all the features are already on the Leaf computer. I'm going to wait and see what comes up form Schnieder and Leviton who are companies with a proven track record. I don't think the small players will stay in business long term as this will be a commodity soon.

One question I'd ask is - which cars have they tested this with. Even though the protocal is very simple, still need to make sure it would work with Leaf.

EVDRIVER said:
I'm not considering this company as the unit is likely a chinese made to spec EVSE and this is not a company with a long record of product history and support. Wifi and key fobs are pointless in residential use as all the features are already on the Leaf computer. I'm going to wait and see what comes up form Schnieder and Leviton who are companies with a proven track record. I don't think the small players will stay in business long term as this will be a commodity soon.

I tend to agree with you regarding that this will not be an environment for small players; they simply do not have the capital, design/engineering expertise or resources to handle a large customer volume and warranty support that the existing electrical supply companies have. Schneider and Leviton are both known entities, and if its the same $700 I will likely go with one of these companies. Also, from an aesthetic standpoint, I actually want to like what's hanging on my garage wall. The EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE just doesn't do it for me.

FYI - I've written Schneider for more details regarding their "Smart D" unit. I will post any information that I get on the forum.

EVDRIVER said:

Just FYI.. on the first page of their website, it says that all of their charging stations are made in the U.S.A. So that's cool.

-Peter

LBCev said:
Schneider and Leviton are both known entities, and if its the same $700 I will likely go with one of these companies. Also, from an aesthetic standpoint, I actually want to like what's hanging on my garage wall. The EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE just doesn't do it for me.

I agree that I like the idea of a bigger company when it comes time for warranty support (if that time comes). But actually for me I don't like the look of the Leviton unit. Just looks really cheap. But hey.. if it comes out and is really cheap ($300-400 maybe) then they might have my business. Obviously everyone has their own opinion of what looks good.

-Peter

Currently only Ecotality's Blink is consumer grade. Rest look industrial.

But the prices will go down - $150 or less in a few years. Otherwise you will see Samsungs and Sonys all over this market. $700 is serious money ...

LBCev said:
EVDRIVER said:

I tend to agree with you regarding that this will not be an environment for small players; they simply do not have the capital, design/engineering expertise or resources to handle a large customer volume and warranty support that the existing electrical supply companies have. Schneider and Leviton are both known entities, and if its the same $700 I will likely go with one of these companies. Also, from an aesthetic standpoint, I actually want to like what's hanging on my garage wall. The EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE just doesn't do it for me.

FYI - I've written Schneider for more details regarding their "Smart D" unit. I will post any information that I get on the forum.

Please update on the "D" my friend is an engineer there and he can't get any info. I may wait to see where they are in Dec as he usually gets free samples. The biggest issue is small players tend to stop supporting product like this. Some players may have commercial contracts but the residential space is tough. Leviton has an established name, distribution and service network as well as economies of scale. Most of the "no names" are companies trying to capitalize on the green market or govt money. It makes sense to distribute these where electricians will sell them in new and existing homes, the AV residential model is a greed-based model that depends on early sales and govt credits. AV may get large contracts on the commercial side, the pricing is better than some basic res installs. My bet is AV ignores those who see through their game and they try to grab as many orders they can get before it all blows up completely. This is short opportunity for them and if more people knew about options it would be over in a few months. If they had any vision they would have done deals with every big electrical supply place in the US and locked them into an order for the year and only sold the units in mass. This would have got them out there in the market and sold more units. Leviton is a trusted name in the industry and the people who put this stuff in know it as a go to name. Square D, now Schnieder, has been making stuff like this for a long time and they also have the network, look at the companies they are buying lately. Smart!

After 10 days of trying, my wife made contact with these guys (sort of)...She wrote:

Got a reply on the charger (sent the last email with read receipt and that got a reply!) They ‘will call tomorrow’

“Sorry if no one has gotten back with you, we have been swamped with orders. We need pmt upfront, but don't have a credit card store front working yet. I'll make sure you are contacted tomorrow."

????????????In stock but no way to accept payment??????????

All he said was there is no click and buy with an electronic shopping cart.
They need to take the infor down and run the CC through the machine by hand.
Just like the old days.

garygid said:
Apparently only one person can "take orders", possibly "Bob" the CEO?

Sounds like they will be around for a long time, including "Bob" are there more than three employees? This is the issue with companies like this, even established companies are folding in this economy let alone ones that are not organized. Buyer beware..

Back