2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DanCar said:
When do you think we will see the first vehicles with the BEV platform? Earlier reports said second half of next year at the earliest.

I expect that the first car on the new Nissan platform will be in the 4th quarter 2020. There may be one last year of the B platform LEAF before it moves to the new platform. Nissan has been very stealthy about their next LEAF, understandably, as they don't want to freeze sales of the current model.

In a Nissan marketing email that I received today titled "(my first name ) the all-new 2019 Nissan LEAF PLUS is coming soon". they mentioned "up to 226 miles of range1"

For the footnote, they said
1. Targeted EPA range for Nissan LEAF S PLUS only. Actual range will vary with trim levels, options and driving conditions. See Customer Disclosure Form for details.
This seems to lend credence to higher trims possibly having a lower EPA range rating.

I've always wondered why the 24 kWh, 30 kWh, and 40 kWh Leafs' EPA ratings make no distinction between the S and the SV/SL trims. Nor do auto journalists seems to bother examining the difference in ride and handling. With 16 inch wheels on the S vs. 17 inch wheels on the SV and SL, shouldn't the S in all Leaf model years have:

1. slightly worse ride and handling

2. slightly better range/energy efficiency

??

I've only ever driven a 40 kWh SV and a 30 kWh SL, so I can't speak from experience about ride and range in the S. Other S owners?

Kieran973 said:

Personally I have found the 16" tire (compared to 17 or 18) to be a more comfortable or smoother ride since there is more flex absorbed by the tire. I have also found the larger tires are usually not as good for mileage or rolling resistance as well. I am not sure why that is, maybe the whole tire weighs more?

Or am I crazy?

Kieran973 said:
I've always wondered why the 24 kWh, 30 kWh, and 40 kWh Leafs' EPA ratings make no distinction between the S and the SV/SL trims. Nor do auto journalists seems to bother examining the difference in ride and handling. With 16 inch wheels on the S vs. 17 inch wheels on the SV and SL, shouldn't the S in all Leaf model years have:

??

I've only ever driven a 40 kWh SV and a 30 kWh SL, so I can't speak from experience about ride and range in the S. Other S owners?

You answered your own question. "slight" differences simply don't make news.

There is a factor with the Leaf that likely 'balances out' the likely otherwise significant range issues between the S and SL: those gigantic wheel wells that have to be acting as aeronautical air brakes at highway speeds. The more they get filled with wheel and tire volume, the less disruption of the airflow they cause.

Are the tires actually larger or just the wheels? I was under the impression that the overall tire diameter was more or less the same. But 17" wheels have 1" less rubber than 16" wheels.

GetOffYourGas said:
Are the tires actually larger or just the wheels? I was under the impression that the overall tire diameter was more or less the same. But 17" wheels have 1" less rubber than 16" wheels.

Very small difference in diameters is typical. The rotations per mile always vary a little. This means the odometer/speedometer has greater error.

Realize "some" of the efficiency loss we perceive when getting new tires is simply new tires have more tread so will "seem" less efficient than they really are.

But the small wheel is more efficient issue has been true for years. Guessing more power needed to turn bigger wheels that are heavier?

GetOffYourGas said:

The overall rolling radius is most likely the same. the tires on the 17" have a shorter sidewalk than the 16" tires. Depending on the tire, the taller sidewalk will give a better ride.

You may want to have a word with your spellchecker or auto-correct, Orient. :D As I understand it, going from the 16" wheels and tires to Juke 17" wheels and tires just about completely corrects the 2MPH speedo error that Leafs typically exhibit (along with most other cars). This and the size of the wells makes me think that the car was designed for 17" wheels, but got the cheaper 16" wheels to cut costs.

Leftie, you might want to spend more time reading to correctly comprehend.
:D

Certainly speedometer variances happen for a variety of reasons, the majority of them intentional. But that wasn't my point, which is that taller sidewall tires provide a better ride and NVH experience that lower profile tires.

Part of the reason off road vehicles have tall sideWALLS is that when they bounce over large objects (such as sideWALKS) the rim doesn't get bent. Bent rims give a poor ride. Maybe that is why they are called tall sideWALK tires?

2011RedLeaf said:
Part of the reason off road vehicles have tall sideWALLS is that when they bounce over large objects (such as sideWALKS) the rim doesn't get bent. Bent rims give a poor ride. Maybe that is why they are called tall sideWALK tires?

Maybe we are seeing a new generation of kids who have been taught malapropisms by their smartphones.

webeleafowners said:
the first three were presold. Which is kind of a surprise as he don’t know what the list price was going to be.
Tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of folks lined up (and/or did it online?) to place their $1K "reservation" fee/deposit or whatever on a Model 3 before knowing the price ($35K, still doesn't exist :lol: ) nor even knowing anything about the car (e.g. range, what it'd look like, etc.). This is all before Elon's presentation even started.

One can infer roughly the price based upon the price difference in Europe and Japan of the 40 kWh cars there vs. e+.

Back