2016 Leaf SV 12V battery draining

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jjeff said:
With all this talk about 12v batteries failing prematurely mainly due to low 12v SOC, has it been shown that the batteries in the SL models(with the tiny solar panel that only charges the 12v battery) last longer than S or even SV models? If that solar panel does any good you'd think, at least in sunny climates, SL 12v batteries would last a fair amount longer before failing.....I occasionally(couple times/month) hook up my desulfating trickle charger to both my S and SL models but am wondering if I need bother with the SL as it has the solar panel and is parked outside......
Also lots of talk about using a Li battery as a 12v replacement but would a AGM gel type battery be any better? Not necessarily this one but one like it in the correct size?
http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8171-767-DS46B24R-YellowTop/dp/B006VFEJJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1463489758&sr=1-1&keywords=12v+prius+battery
I used this as a replacement in my Prius and it's been working trouble free for several years.

I have substantial experience with small/medium size AGMs used in APC/Schneider UPSs. These (AGMs) have BOTH sulfation and "dry-out" problems in service. The low voltage profile of the Leaf's DC/DC converter will not even "float" an AGM - although it would not tend to dry them out. These less expensive AGMS use very cheap "valves" (as in valve regulated) and do not have recombination catalyst systems to minimize the dry out problem. On the other hand, the expensive (as in Telcom industry) AGMs that do have such recombination systems would likely not dry out in the Leaf anyway due to the low charge voltages (from others testings on this forum). Bottom line (IMO) is that if somehow you can control the sulfation process, the AGM might work OK (no dry out), however it will have a reduced (20AH) rating (appears 70% SOC is max in the Leaf??) - similar to the stock battery.

IN THEORY, the LiFePO4 batteries would be much better since the Leaf's charge profile seems to match very well, sulfation is not a problem, certainly no "dry out" or stratification associated with the electrolyte, and "likes" to live in the 20-80% SOC range.

I'm going to look into the Shoria 36 AH battery as I already have the charger/equalizer for excellent periodic maintenance/charging of my KTM dirt bike. Price is the issue, but getting stranded on a busy Houston street is a poor option. My only concern is the early "spike" in voltage as high charge voltage can be quite damaging to Li tech batteries - don't think so, but going to discuss that with Shoria - considering their high quality BMS.

BTW, the Leaf's solar panel is sooo small, it's hard to imagine is can do any charging - might maintain against internal type losses?

Marktm said:
I'm going to look into the Shoria 36 AH battery as I already have the charger/equalizer for excellent periodic maintenance/charging of my KTM dirt bike. Price is the issue, but getting stranded on a busy Houston street is a poor option. My only concern is the early "spike" in voltage as high charge voltage can be quite damaging to Li tech batteries - don't think so, but going to discuss that with Shoria - considering their high quality BMS.

BTW, the Leaf's solar panel is sooo small, it's hard to imagine is can do any charging - might maintain against internal type losses?

My Lithium Pros 12v LiFePO4 battery has a "strict" upper limit of 14.4v and I have never had an issue (the built-in BMS focuses on balancing). This is one of those things where--if you want to spend the $$--there is a simple, long-term solution to the 12v problems: Lithium.

It's odd that this model is still having 12V issues after 6 years of production. It's bizarre, actually. The car doesn't have any massive drain episodes that ICE vehicles impose, and the battery isn't exposed to roaring high underhood temps of ICE vehicles. There's power readily at-hand during operation AND non-operating times to perfectly maintain the charge. Should be the most coddled 12V battery in freaking history and last a good decade without problems. C'mon Nissan, WTH seriously.

LeftieBiker said:
Been running lithium replacement for over a year and a half, flawless operation in all cold or hot temperatures since changing over.

How cold does it get where you live?
Anywhere from single digit (F) to 100 F during the summer. Only have the colder temperatures during the middle of winter and usually no more than a few days at a time. Nothing near extreme to what the northern states have been experiencing this year.

knightmb said:
LeftieBiker said:
Been running lithium replacement for over a year and a half, flawless operation in all cold or hot temperatures since changing over.

How cold does it get where you live?
Anywhere from single digit (F) to 100 F during the summer. Only have the colder temperatures during the middle of winter and usually no more than a few days at a time. Nothing near extreme to what the northern states have been experiencing this year.

Until we get some data on how well the lithium accessory batteries handle sub-zero F temps, I'd be wary of them in cold regions. It would be unfortunate if one went up in flames because it was charged while it was at 0F or colder inside its case. Those of us who use lithium bicycle packs never charge them - not even the safer LifePo4 packs - in frigid weather, unless we bring them inside to warm up, first.

Marktm said:

It turns out Shoria has their own AH rating system - basically the real AH rating and multiplying it times 3! So the largest battery they make is 12AH and is advertised as 36AH. Quite proud of Lithium's large SOC range of operation! They also are concerned about the battery spending most of it's life in the mid 12 volt range. I think they may be confused about charge voltages, but maybe they do have a concern about continued operation at lower SOCs. They were not concerned about the voltage spike - stating that their BMS can take up to 15.2 volts.
Bottom line, not interested in a 12AH battery

The charging profile of the 2015 is better than the 2011. The 2015 stays at 14 volts until the charging current drops below 4 or 5 amperes while the 2011 dropped to float at 8 to 10 amperes. An AGM deep cycle with low internal resistance like the Optima yellow top works well in the Leaf because it gets to a higher SOC before the charging current drops enough to switch to float mode. I had an Optima in the 2011 for over a year with no loss of capacity. Since I was not allowed to remove it after the car was totaled, I could not keep it for a spare. I will buy an Optima for the 2015 as soon as the original gets weak. The solar panel does not have enough capacity to make a difference. I have never used an external charger on the 12-volt battery because the Leaf's charging algorithm works fine for my usage pattern.

Gerry

Back