2016 30 kWh Battery data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will chime is as well. On my exact same route to work that I take everyday I now arrive with 83% - 85% left. When car was new 9 months ago I arrived with between 88% - 90% and it was colder outside back then! I wonder why Nissan can't get it right after all these years?!? Other BEVs by other automakers don't seem to be experiencing this problem so why only Nissan?

johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
armelwani said:
Looks like you're in a similar boat to me. only 354 miles on the odo and you're already down to 92% SOH. Please keep us posted as you do more charging, especially if you do some QC.

As a side note to the rest of the thread, I heard back from Nissan Support today and they will NOT be sending someone onsite to further investigate my car. No surprises there. I'm just going to make sure I qualify for a new battery within the 8yr/100k warranty and then never have anything to do with Nissan again.

his pack is fine. Do NOT allow yourself to think he has lost 8% of his capacity already. These numbers simply do not work that way! I have several blogs showing how easily these numbers can be manipulated!

Sorry, Dave but it probably does mean he's lost capacity. I just cleared 18,000 miles and I'm down to 322 GIDs, 70.51AH, SOH=89% Hx=84%. I can tell that I've lost some range just from daily driving. The loss isn't huge but it is noticeable. I drive the same route 5 days a week (55.1 mile round trip give or take a mile) and I used to get home with 45-49% battery left. Now the same trip leaves me with 39-43%. The number varies a little depending on A/C and heater usage but turning on climate control is only a 1 or 2 mile range penalty typically. If I'm lucky, battery degradation will slow over the winter but I expect to lose another 30 GIDs next summer. I'll be surprised if the battery lasts 4 years.

When I bought the car I really hoped that the battery was good for 100K and would still have 70-80% capacity but I bought it with the expectation that even with a 33% loss of capacity I could still use it as a daily commuter. That was why I had to wait for the 30KWH battery. The 24KWH battery was known to degrade and the 60K mile warranty didn't work for me with the milage I put on a car.

well, now that "I" have a 30 kwh pack, we shall see. I noticed the likelihood that a bit less percentage wise is available to the 30 kwh pack than the 24 kwh pack which likely means a shorter "float" time at the high end of the spectrum.

when I had the 24 kwh pack, my numbers were near 100% well into my 2nd year and we all know that would be impossible. time degradation would have seen to that. but then I (as have several others) would see a rapid drop to a level where it would stabilize again. guessing more instrumentation issues than anything.

But my new pack which is less than a week old dropped a few points almost immediately so we shall see where it goes. I know that even without fast charging I could boost my 24 kwh numbers by simply cycling it fully over 5+ days. I hope to see the same here so I won't be fast charging (at least not planning to for a least another 4-5 days or so...

DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
his pack is fine. Do NOT allow yourself to think he has lost 8% of his capacity already. These numbers simply do not work that way! I have several blogs showing how easily these numbers can be manipulated!

Sorry, Dave but it probably does mean he's lost capacity. I just cleared 18,000 miles and I'm down to 322 GIDs, 70.51AH, SOH=89% Hx=84%. I can tell that I've lost some range just from daily driving. The loss isn't huge but it is noticeable. I drive the same route 5 days a week (55.1 mile round trip give or take a mile) and I used to get home with 45-49% battery left. Now the same trip leaves me with 39-43%. The number varies a little depending on A/C and heater usage but turning on climate control is only a 1 or 2 mile range penalty typically. If I'm lucky, battery degradation will slow over the winter but I expect to lose another 30 GIDs next summer. I'll be surprised if the battery lasts 4 years.

When I bought the car I really hoped that the battery was good for 100K and would still have 70-80% capacity but I bought it with the expectation that even with a 33% loss of capacity I could still use it as a daily commuter. That was why I had to wait for the 30KWH battery. The 24KWH battery was known to degrade and the 60K mile warranty didn't work for me with the milage I put on a car.

well, now that "I" have a 30 kwh pack, we shall see. I noticed the likelihood that a bit less percentage wise is available to the 30 kwh pack than the 24 kwh pack which likely means a shorter "float" time at the high end of the spectrum.

when I had the 24 kwh pack, my numbers were near 100% well into my 2nd year and we all know that would be impossible. time degradation would have seen to that. but then I (as have several others) would see a rapid drop to a level where it would stabilize again. guessing more instrumentation issues than anything.

But my new pack which is less than a week old dropped a few points almost immediately so we shall see where it goes. I know that even without fast charging I could boost my 24 kwh numbers by simply cycling it fully over 5+ days. I hope to see the same here so I won't be fast charging (at least not planning to for a least another 4-5 days or so...

It should be interesting to see how well the battery holds up in in a cooler climate. I notice that the battery is reporting 82AH but only 363 GIDs. Since I've never seen anyone report more than 363 GIDs, I suspect that 363 is a hardwired max value in the BMS. I spent about 3-4 months hovering around 363 before the values started to drop. That coincided with the start of warm weather so I really can't say for sure if the battery was losing capacity but wasn't reporting it or if the rising temps started to cook the battery. Looking back on it I remember that that the AH figures weren't changing either during the first 4 months.

What kind of deal did you get? Buy or Lease?

johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:

It should be interesting to see how well the battery holds up in in a cooler climate. I notice that the battery is reporting 82AH but only 363 GIDs. Since I've never seen anyone report more than 363 GIDs, I suspect that 363 is a hardwired max value in the BMS. I spent about 3-4 months hovering around 363 before the values started to drop. That coincided with the start of warm weather so I really can't say for sure if the battery was losing capacity but wasn't reporting it or if the rising temps started to cook the battery. Looking back on it I remember that that the AH figures weren't changing either during the first 4 months.

What kind of deal did you get? Buy or Lease?

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2016/11/in-with-new-introducing-era-of-eco-b.html

lease; zero down, 15,000 miles a year, 3 years, $245.99 a month

Ok.. lots of reading here over the years.. and I am still not certain what I should do !

New 2016 SV 30KwH.. ~ 300 miles.

In the operational world.. I know not to let it stand charged over 90%
I know not to let is stand discharged - say less than 20%.

In between... most days we use the car seem to leave with 35 to 65 %.
Should I be aiming for some days when I cycle down to 20 or so ( LBW) or even lower ?
with the aim to obtaining max range capability.. and when it is sub 80%.. should I just leave it
rather than charging some ?
With the L2 clipper creek.. I seem to overshoot in my charge time estimates
and end up at ~ 92% often. then I feel guilty if it sits unused like that.

I'm gathering that this cycling only in the 35-85 % region.. isn't going to break in the battery well

But how low to go I don't know.

For economic and age reasons, we will probably keep the car even when the range goes down to
40 % 40 mi.. because it will still be enough to go shopping in... and we will be too old for another car.

With the big batt and good care..we hope that day is a long way off.
we have multiple hill climbs to get home.. and it takes 15-% of the new batt cap to get home.
but only 3-4 % to get to shopping ( all down hill).

---

Thanks for showing me how to find my battery serial number.. is this in the service menu of leafspy ?
--

Is there a battery over-temp history one can find ?

--
sure wish there was a way to limit charging ( at home) based on % or Ah capacity.. instead of time..!!

blimpy said:
Ok.. lots of reading here over the years.. and I am still not certain what I should do !

Should I be aiming for some days when I cycle down to 20 or so ( LBW) or even lower ?
with the aim to obtaining max range capability.. and when it is sub 80%.. should I just leave it

I'm gathering that this cycling only in the 35-85 % region.. isn't going to break in the battery well

For economic and age reasons, we will probably keep the car even when the range goes down to
40 % 40 mi.. because it will still be enough to go shopping in... and we will be too old for another car.

we have multiple hill climbs to get home.. and it takes 15-% of the new batt cap to get home.

---

Thanks for showing me how to find my battery serial number.. is this in the service menu of leafspy ?
--

--
sure wish there was a way to limit charging ( at home) based on % or Ah capacity.. instead of time..!!

its not a NiCad battery so no need to deep cycle it.

my unscientific thoughts on charging

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2016/11/100-or-80.html

blimpy said:

---

--

--

You do need to charge to charge to 100% occasionally to keep the battery pack balanced. Pack balancing occurs at the end of the charge cycle so you should let it charge full cycle at least once a week. By design the battery pack only charges the individual cells to 4.10 to 4.12 VDC. That's only about 95% of a full charge (4.20 VDC). Discharging below LBW (14% approx) is probably not good for the battery but even then individual cell voltage is around 3.20 VDC. At turtle cell voltage is around 2.85 VDC. In between LBW and 100% the voltage curve is pretty linear which indicates a safe operating range for the battery. 20% to 90% would be a safe bet in my book. Nissan could have limited the battery to a lower max cell voltage if they wanted to but they didn't so charging to 100% is probably safe to do and certainly doesn't void the warranty. Average battery temperature is currently the best indicator for battery life. Moderate to cool climates seem to have the best battery life and hot climates the worst.

johnlocke said:
You do need to charge to charge to 100% occasionally to keep the battery pack balanced. Pack balancing occurs at the end of the charge cycle so you should let it charge full cycle at least once a week. By design the battery pack only charges the individual cells to 4.10 to 4.12 VDC. That's only about 95% of a full charge (4.20 VDC). Discharging below LBW (14% approx) is probably not good for the battery but even then individual cell voltage is around 3.20 VDC. At turtle cell voltage is around 2.85 VDC. In between LBW and 100% the voltage curve is pretty linear which indicates a safe operating range for the battery. 20% to 90% would be a safe bet in my book. Nissan could have limited the battery to a lower max cell voltage if they wanted to but they didn't so charging to 100% is probably safe to do and certainly doesn't void the warranty. Average battery temperature is currently the best indicator for battery life. Moderate to cool climates seem to have the best battery life and hot climates the worst.

pack balancing happens all the time but is more effective at the top end. also top end balancing is the ONLY way to get a few extra miles out of your pack if you are pushing your limits on a trip. Problem is once doesn't do it. I found I have to cycle below about 50% SOC to full at least 4 days in a row and sometimes as much as 6. Fast Charging can do it as well as long as its combined with the below 50% SOC but fast charging effect lasts one maybe two days at most. The "50% SOC" rule is a HUGE approximation. I rarely am that high after driving.

why is top end balancing more effective? Look at it as herding cows. one situation you have a corral, the other situation simply a campsite. The corral is easier because it has boundaries, fences, etc. The other does not. Now that example probably made it more confusing.

sendler2112 said:
How is the battery balanced at less than the "100%" value Nissan has chosen where the bleed resistors of the highest cells are engaged?

Poorly, the only meaning balancing on these packs happens at the top-end during charge.

sendler2112 said:
How is the battery balanced at less than the "100%" value Nissan has chosen where the bleed resistors of the highest cells are engaged?

I think the higher cells are not touched. look at the charging profile, you will see several current bumps after the main charging is complete. this is the result of the pack voltages dropping far enough to restart the charge session even if only for a few minutes. I have seen as many as 5 bumps but 2-3 appears to be the normal range.

Here is my understanding of typical battery management. Packs are charged in series at pack voltage. This means that all of the cells are always charged together. Individual parallel cell groups are monitored for voltage constantly. Balancing of the cells occurs when any individual cell achieves the high voltage cut off value. At this point one bleed resistor is shunted to ground to keep this cell from going any higher while the charge voltage continues to rise until one by one, all of the cells enter shunt and the charge is cut off.
On discharge the individual cells voltages are also monitored. When the lowest cell reaches low voltage cut off, the output is then limited to keep it from sagging any lower under load even though the highest cells may still have more to give robbing useable capacity if the pack is way out of balance. If you never balance, the weak cells go lower first and charge up last so they start even farther behind next time which continues to make it progressively worse. Modern cell manufacturing tends to crat wel matched cells so the actuall need for balancing frequency is reduced since they stay in balance naturally for the most part.
It is possible for the BMS logic to engage a shunt at anytime during charging if one cell gets ahead of the others, but this is more complex as it requires comparison instead of just hitting a pre programmed value. Probably not done. Does Leafspy show when a shunt is engaged? This would be easy to check if you could record a video of the entire charging event during a quick charge.
It probably only balances at the HVC. Although the 80% charge setting could have been programmed to be a balance opportunity also. Too bad the inflexible EPA testing forced the 80% setting out of use. Even though anectdotal reports say it doesn't matter, never going above 80% or below 20% will theoretically improve the cycle life dramatically. This is why the Volt and Prius batteries generally last forever.

thanks for the replies.. it is nice to know how the cell charging is managed internally.

Combining... it looks like the trade off (or conundrum) is between achieving max cycle life by adhering to a 20-80% regimine
and charging to full ( eg 95%) periodically to balance cells and obtain the most range capability from the pack.

I figured that turtle was something you just never want to do.

Where LBW is ( beginning of red bars ?) and if that point represents 20 % or 11 ish.. I am now confused about.

My leaf spy pro seems to read 5% below the charge percentage on the dash.. which I assume corresponds to the
pack charging to 95% and stopping when the dash says 100 %.

I will post my first Batt Data.. after I go back and learn the standards you guys use.
Reading I have now is at 79% and probably meaningless for comparison.

2016 SV mfg date 10/16 purchased 11/3/16 so it didn't sit on the dealers lot long
New car with 65 miles on the OD. I think they transferred from another dealership by driving fast on the freeway.
( at 2.7 M/Kw ! )

3 QC's 18 L1/L2. ( 4 or 5 of them here)

Data taken at an odd point.. sorry.
* part of it after I ran the heater while coaxing leaf spy to work..!

350 miles on OD.
99% SOH
78.5 SOC (83% on dash)
Gids 298
23.1 KwH
*62.29 AH taken at 79.33 %
53.9 F
94.56 Hx

max cell voltage difference 17 mV.

blimpy said:
2016 SV mfg date 10/16 purchased 11/3/16 so it didn't sit on the dealers lot long
New car with 65 miles on the OD. I think they transferred from another dealership by driving fast on the freeway.
( at 2.7 M/Kw ! )

3 QC's 18 L1/L2. ( 4 or 5 of them here)

Data taken at an odd point.. sorry.
* part of it after I ran the heater while coaxing leaf spy to work..!

350 miles on OD.
99% SOH
78.5 SOC (83% on dash)
Gids 298
23.1 KwH
*62.29 AH taken at 79.33 %
53.9 F
94.56 Hx

max cell voltage difference 17 mV.

hmmm, I wouldna bought that.

what is your numbers now?

sendler2112 said:
blimpy said:
( at 2.7 M/Kw ! )
That value could show up just from moving the car around parking lots and demo rides around the block with the heat on.

Now I understand, blimpy meant 2.7 miles /kWh.
Try sitting in the car eating lunch with the heat on and see the resulting miles/kWh then.

yeah, 2.7 miles per kwH... as in blasting up the fwy.. from dealership in Oakland to Santa Rosa.
Only 65 miles on the car when I got it.. and that drive is about 45 miles.. and what was the rest.. test drives ?
who knows.

Anyway.. double the consumption compared to how I drive it.

---

I will charge to 90 % shortly.. could do 100.. but think I will treat it a little gently for a while..
unless somebody thinks there is real utility in getting the 100% figures from an unbroken in battery ??

used 50 KW AV DCFC yesterday for the first time (keeping in mind NRG is a 40 KW charger for the most part) and some "interesting" numbers.

LEAF Spy read 62 GIDs 4.8 kwh available so reset energy counter.

Charged for 29 mins (AV does not automatically shut off at 30 mins under NCTC) hitting as much as 47.7 KW (never seen 48 btw)

Finished the charge and received 20.05 kwh per AV display, 19.42 kwh per LEAF Spy counter

332 GIDs 25.7 kwh remaining

my question; how does this add up?

Charge received 19.42 to 20.05 Kwh but available kwh increased 20.9 kwh ?

GID increased from 62 to 332 or 270 which is 77 wh/GID if using the 20.9 figure.

now thinking I have a bad LEAF Spy setting?

Back