2015: Battery Data Report @ 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI BooKittyLeaf,
I have a 2015 with similar Numbers in Texas
MFG Date: Aug 2014
Purchase: Jan 2015
Miles: 300

SOH: 87.25%
kWh: 21.85kWh
Ahr: 60.35

something to keep an eye on as the car gets more miles. I'd be interested in data from other 2015s

MartinChico said:
BooKittyLeaf said:
Finally got my OBD2 and Leaf Stat.... kinda disappointed at the results

MFG Date: 8,22,14
Lease Date: 1,22,15
Charge Note: from 47%, 2 hour charge - Home L2

GIDS: 268
kwh: 20.77
% SOC: 97.25%
% SOH: 86.10%
% HX: 87.003%
Ahr: 50.04
Avg Bat Tmp: 68°
- Leaf Dash: 100%
- Leaf Range: 88 miles
- Odometer: 368 miles

Last last charge to 100% yielded 93 miles (didn't have Leaf Stat Yet)

Im really concerned about the State of HEalth being 86% Looks like by battery is already declining quickly.

not sure What HX is... or any of the other reading really... just that all my numbers look very low compared to other new 2015 Leafs, with 1,000 or more miles than I have.

Curious, If I have a bad battery - will Nissan do anything about now? I imagine I would have to wait until its 70%, or 9 bars for the Capacity warranty to kick in?
I was stressing about this, too, but here's my take, now: Let's say we DO have "bad" batteries that will only be good for a few years. That means that Nissan will have to replace our batteries under warranty, so it's likely that we'll get a fresh start in a few years. Better yet, what if, as part of the warranty remedy, Nissan offers to upgrade to the 2017 battery, which is rumored to have a range of 150 miles? I could live with that.

I agree regarding the replacement battery - at 86% SOH the battery capacity could drop a bar in a few months. My bet is a battery replacement under the Capacity warranty is immanent - probably by year 3.

Mo concern regarding the warranty replacement battery is that replacement NOW are said to be NEW Lizard Packs possibly because there is no stockpile of warranted batteries. Once enough get replaced, the may start re-furbishing packs to get them up to the "9 Bar Requirement", thus, our replacement battery will be a "Crap-Pack"!

Also, regarding the 2017 Battery and 150 mile range, the math dictates that you would need a larger kwh pack (maybe around 36) to get increased milage - Rummer has it that different size packs will be available for extra cost for those who want increase milage.

I believe the 24kwh pack will always yield 80-100 miles. But the Battery tech in 2017 will hopefully be move into the Carbon/Dual Carbon/ Organic Carbon chemistry which will hold its capacity many times longer, and be almost completely intolerant to thermal degradation like Lithium we have now.

So, best case scenario is a new "Gen2" 24kwh pack that will keep its capacity up 3,4,5 times as long or more - providing they keep the packs backwards compatible.

BooKittyLeaf said:

Curious, If I have a bad battery - will Nissan do anything about now? I imagine I would have to wait until its 70%, or 9 bars for the Capacity warranty to kick in?
One data point a trend does not make. One thing we've seen for sure with the '13+ LEAFs is that there is a significant amount of variation in the BMS reported capacity especially on brand new LEAFs. Pu the pack through a couple full cycles (100% -> LBW or at least less 10 miles on the GOM) and see what happens.

IMO, unless the data is backed up with external data, I would not stress about it.

If you really want to test it, get a 240V kWh meter that can read down to 0.1 kWh, discharge the battery to turtle, charge to 100% and see how many kWh from the wall go into the battery charging on L2. Take cell-pair voltage screenshots at some key data points as well - at LBW, VLBW, turtle and 100%. Also note whether you have a 3.6 kW or 6.0 kW OBC and how many amps your EVSE is capable of pushing.

There's enough data from the '11-12 LEAFs to know that a new LEAF under this test charging on 240V/16A will take about 24.5-25.0 kWh from the wall typically. The '13+ LEAFs will be different for a couple reasons, but should be in the same ballpark unless something is actually wrong.

Took this reading this morning, after almost six months and 6000 miles. No degradation at all, SOC down slightly and HX up, but everything else the same compared to the values in my signature which are a compilation from the first two weeks or so.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 52
BooKittyLeaf said:

Im really concerned about the State of HEalth being 86% Looks like by battery is already declining quickly.

not sure What HX is... or any of the other reading really... just that all my numbers look very low compared to other new 2015 Leafs, with 1,000 or more miles than I have.

and you are complaining about what now?

MartinChico said:
BooKittyLeaf said:

I have some "bad" numbers for my 2015 LEAF S, too, but your values look worse.

After 1QC+30L1/L2, 800 miles, my SOH is about 96%, and my Hx value had dropped all the way down to 92%, but it seems to be inching up as the weather has been a little warmer, and is now closer to 93%.

I was stressing about this, too, but here's my take, now: Let's say we DO have "bad" batteries that will only be good for a few years. That means that Nissan will have to replace our batteries under warranty, so it's likely that we'll get a fresh start in a few years. Better yet, what if, as part of the warranty remedy, Nissan offers to upgrade to the 2017 battery, which is rumored to have a range of 150 miles? I could live with that.

Let's keep sharing and comparing data and see what happens.

my hx bounces from 95 to over 100 depending on my driving profile. the more I drive, the higher the numbers

keydiver said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
BooKittyLeaf said:
[/quote
and you are complaining about what now?

With <400 miles, 86% SOH would bother me too. BooKittyLeaf, do you charge to 100% to allow the cells to equalize?

but still able to drive 93 miles so I have to say we should not take a single reading too seriously. lets see what happens over time

Correct. GOM said 93. Actual miles were less. Didn't set trip miles so I dont recall. But yesterday diid A 1 hour L2 charge at 30% while I was out. The put It on the charge at home (Clipper creek 7.7 w) and charged to 100% until it stopped.
443 miles
GIDS 266
Soc was 97%.
Soh 85%
GOM was 97 miles

On that charge sI far I have driven 50 miles and have 40% charge left. I will drive to 1 bar/10% & see what real miles are

Not complaining (yet) as much as I am curious about the SOH at 85% on a new car. Trying to see what that really means

Yes. I always charge to 100% every day. Wife & I both use it about 50 - 60 miles daily
Sometimes it does sit for a few hours, maybe up to five at 100% before driven. But we do use it a lot

Does LeafSpy show any particular cells that are lower than the rest? All my cells are within 16mv, even with 75% SOH and 33,000 miles. No Leaf should lose its first bar in <1,000 miles, but it seems like that is what you are on target for. :shock:

Yup agreed!

I dont have Leaf Spy (iPhone) I use Leaf Stat - just the basics

Im documenting the range & battery stats to kind of build a case for a new battery since this is a new car with 500 miles on it, it should have a new battery that starts out at 100% SOH/Capacity. The battery stats/health I show NOW are right on target with a 3 year old car with 35,000 miles - so that worried me.
What worries me more is that I have a feeling Nissan wont do a thing about it, claiming thats what the Capacity warranty is for - however, under that warranty, my replacement battery only has to bring me back up to 70%. If I was guaranteed a NEW battery for warranty replacement, I wouldn't be so concerned - just disappointed that Dealerships dont do anything for battery health while it sits on the lot for 3 months in the sun - probably at 100% charge, or close to it.

I wish I had Leaf Stat earlier. I had 3 days to return the car under the dealers Money back guarantee! ACTUALLY, I would NEVER buy an electric car in the first place with out Leaf Stat or similar program. Had I been able to test the battery like that and seen SOH of 85% I would have picked a different Leaf - Oh Well!

Now I have to fight for a NEW battery for my NEW car. How Nissan handles this will decide if I stick with the Leaf or jump ship as soon as the Chevy Bolt (or other EV) comes out - buying a NEW car with a battery that has already lost 15% capacity is like buying a new gas car with 30,000 miles already on it! Completely unacceptable.

BooKittyLeaf said:

I'm sure that there are plenty of other Leaf owners in Phoenix that have LeafSpy, which would show you each of the cell voltages. Hopefully its just one or 2 cells that are failing, which they will repair under warranty, and the rest of the pack is OK.

Range test COMPLETE - some interesting info:

I charged it and went for a drive - all on the same charge. First goal was to get to One Bar, then to Turtle to see MAX Range.

Car had 459 miles on it

Driving was about 20 miles freeway (60 mph) and the rest city streets averaging 45mph. Eco Mode, B mode. No Climate on
Terrain was fairly flat, some gradual highs & lows, but nothing of any considerable grade either way.

(Excuse the lame graph)

..............................Dash.........................Leaf Stat.....................................Drive................GOM..........Dash/Nav..............Charge..........Capacity
Date .................Charge%....................Charge%........GIDs..................Mile..................Mile..................Eco .....................Bars...............Bars

RANGE TEST
02,06,15..............100%................97%...........266 gid...........0...................97 GOM..........4.3/4.0...............12 Bar............12
02,07,15..............90%..................80%...............................6.5 miles........79 GOM..........4.3/4.0...............11 Bar.............12
02,07,15..............84%..................78%...............................12 miles.........78 GOM..........4.3/4.0...............11 Bar............12
............................41%..................................109 gid.........53 miles.........38 GOM........................................5 Bar............12
............................23%...................................62 gid..........68 miles..........23 GOM......................................3 Bar
LOW Alrm.............17%...................................47 gid..........73 miles..........16 GOM......................................2 Bar
.............................9%...................16%...........26 gid ..........81 miles..........9 GOM.......................................1 Bar
.............................8%...................15%...........23 gid...........82.5 miles........- - -..........................................1 Bar
Very Low...............6%...................13%...........17 gid...........85.3 miles.........- - -..........................................1 bar
Find Charge........- - -%................10%...........15 gid...........88 miles............- - -..........................................1 bar
No range............- - -%.................7%.............8 gid.............91.3 miles........- - -...........................................0 bar
To charge...........- - -%................1.6%...........5 gid.............96.2 miles........- - -........................................... 0 bar - .39 kwh
Turtle mode - 30mph - drove .5 miles. END TEST total Miles 96.6

At around 3% Leaf Stat Charge, we started hammering the gas while driving around the neighborhood close to home to try & get the Turtle to pop up, but couldn't. So at 1% battery we gave up & parked in the garage & turned it off.. I turned it back on o get one last reading & the turtle was there! I couldnt resist it, to I took a spin around the block in Turtle mode. It is very sluggy - like switching from D to B, but 100 times more latent. Pedal to the floor slowly got me to 30mph by the end of the block (120 yards or so). I drove it for .5 miles like that & parked it.

It started out very optimistic with 97 Miles at 100%.
After the first trip of 6.5 miles I "used" 18 miles & 10% battery.
The second 6 mile trip (same trip) on;y "used" 1 mile and 6% Battery

As the driven miles went up, the Actual & Estimates started to level out... at 23% battery it estimated 23 miles. 1:1.

The last 10 miles was the most interesting - having LeafStat allows you to better gauge your remaining miles after you get - - - for battery and range. which was about 8 miles before Turtle mode. Thats nice to know wiyhout stressing out when all you see is - - -.

So in the end, the GOM/Range was accurate/lucky enough (97 GOM, 96.6 driven) IF you plan to drive to Turtle mode all the time.

Realistically I would say:
- I have a solid range of 85 miles at 100% charge with 10 miles/13% to spare, at this time with an 85% SOH.
- 70 mile range miles +/- at 80% charge ( 80% down to 15% Leaf Stat/8% Dash )
- 95 miles is not dependable & nothing I would count on - but nice to know.

LEAF STAT at the end of the TEST
Gids: 5
kwh: .39
SOC: 1.17%
SOH: 85.63%
HX: 86.39
Ahr: 56.73
TEmp: 72.6°

The Leaf was good at letting you know you are running low. Several warnings start out at 17% battery (Leaf Stat shows 24%), then a Very Low Warning, then it asks you to select a charging station within the estimated range. Eventually it will say "Can Not Determine Range to Nearest Charger"
So anyone running out of battery really doesn't need to be driving at all, as they would most likely run out out gas in a regular car as well.

Whats disapointing is that I started out with 266 Gigs & 85% SOH. Im missing around 25 gids, which would equate to about 15 miles.
I would imagine that with a GOOD new battery with 292 Gigs and 95% or more SOH, at the Low alarm of 26 gids & 73 miles, I could be at 41 gids and 88 miles, effectively netting me 111 miles at Turtle instead of 96, or, a solid range of 96 miles at 1 Bar/10% battery (16% Leaf Stat).

Not to mention, that with 85% SOH now, I will probably drop te first capacity bar in 2,000 miles - or, 3 months or so :( and thats my biggest complaint.

Nissan specs (NTB11-076a.jpg) ascertain a total driven mile range from 100%/12 bars down to one bar to be less than 67 miles (avg Economy 4.5) for them to consider replacing the battery. Im at 81 with 4.3 eco avg. so My battery Im sure by Nissan standards is prefect!

I am OK with range I have as it suites our needs well with plenty of extra. But how long it will keep that range depends on how fast the battery degrades

keydiver said:
I'm sure that there are plenty of other Leaf owners in Phoenix that have LeafSpy, which would show you each of the cell voltages. Hopefully its just one or 2 cells that are failing, which they will repair under warranty, and the rest of the pack is OK.

Oh yea... didn't think of that. Does Leaf Spy work with a Wi-Fi OBD2 adaptor?

If So I will go to the Regional posting forum & ask.

Thanks for the tip.

BooKittyLeaf said:
Range test COMPLETE - some interesting info:

I charged it and went for a drive - all on the same charge. First goal was to get to One Bar, then to Turtle to see MAX Range.

Car had 459 miles on it

Driving was about 20 miles freeway (60 mph) and the rest city streets averaging 45mph. Eco Mode, B mode. No Climate on
Terrain was fairly flat, some gradual highs & lows, but nothing of any considerable grade either way.

(Excuse the lame graph)

..............................Dash.........................Leaf Stat.....................................Drive................GOM..........Dash/Nav..............Charge..........Capacity
Date .................Charge%....................Charge%........GIDs..................Mile..................Mile..................Eco .....................Bars...............Bars

RANGE TEST
02,06,15..............100%................97%...........266 gid...........0...................97 GOM..........4.3/4.0...............12 Bar............12
02,07,15..............90%..................80%...............................6.5 miles........79 GOM..........4.3/4.0...............11 Bar.............12
02,07,15..............84%..................78%...............................12 miles.........78 GOM..........4.3/4.0...............11 Bar............12
............................41%..................................109 gid.........53 miles.........38 GOM........................................5 Bar............12
............................23%...................................62 gid..........68 miles..........23 GOM......................................3 Bar
LOW Alrm.............17%...................................47 gid..........73 miles..........16 GOM......................................2 Bar
.............................9%...................16%...........26 gid ..........81 miles..........9 GOM.......................................1 Bar
.............................8%...................15%...........23 gid...........82.5 miles........- - -..........................................1 Bar
Very Low...............6%...................13%...........17 gid...........85.3 miles.........- - -..........................................1 bar
Find Charge........- - -%................10%...........15 gid...........88 miles............- - -..........................................1 bar
No range............- - -%.................7%.............8 gid.............91.3 miles........- - -...........................................0 bar
To charge...........- - -%................1.6%...........5 gid.............96.2 miles........- - -........................................... 0 bar - .39 kwh
Turtle mode - 30mph - drove .5 miles. END TEST total Miles 96.6

At around 3% Leaf Stat Charge, we started hammering the gas while driving around the neighborhood close to home to try & get the Turtle to pop up, but couldn't. So at 1% battery we gave up & parked in the garage & turned it off.. I turned it back on o get one last reading & the turtle was there! I couldnt resist it, to I took a spin around the block in Turtle mode. It is very sluggy - like switching from D to B, but 100 times more latent. Pedal to the floor slowly got me to 30mph by the end of the block (120 yards or so). I drove it for .5 miles like that & parked it.

It started out very optimistic with 97 Miles at 100%.
After the first trip of 6.5 miles I "used" 18 miles & 10% battery.
The second 6 mile trip (same trip) on;y "used" 1 mile and 6% Battery

As the driven miles went up, the Actual & Estimates started to level out... at 23% battery it estimated 23 miles. 1:1.

The last 10 miles was the most interesting - having LeafStat allows you to better gauge your remaining miles after you get - - - for battery and range. which was about 8 miles before Turtle mode. Thats nice to know wiyhout stressing out when all you see is - - -.

So in the end, the GOM/Range was accurate/lucky enough (97 GOM, 96.6 driven) IF you plan to drive to Turtle mode all the time.

Realistically I would say:
- I have a solid range of 85 miles at 100% charge with 10 miles/13% to spare, at this time with an 85% SOH.
- 70 mile range miles +/- at 80% charge ( 80% down to 15% Leaf Stat/8% Dash )
- 95 miles is not dependable & nothing I would count on - but nice to know.

LEAF STAT at the end of the TEST
Gids: 5
kwh: .39
SOC: 1.17%
SOH: 85.63%
HX: 86.39
Ahr: 56.73
TEmp: 72.6°

The Leaf was good at letting you know you are running low. Several warnings start out at 17% battery (Leaf Stat shows 24%), then a Very Low Warning, then it asks you to select a charging station within the estimated range. Eventually it will say "Can Not Determine Range to Nearest Charger"
So anyone running out of battery really doesn't need to be driving at all, as they would most likely run out out gas in a regular car as well.

Whats disapointing is that I started out with 266 Gigs & 85% SOH. Im missing around 25 gids, which would equate to about 15 miles.
I would imagine that with a GOOD new battery with 292 Gigs and 95% or more SOH, at the Low alarm of 26 gids & 73 miles, I could be at 41 gids and 88 miles, effectively netting me 111 miles at Turtle instead of 96, or, a solid range of 96 miles at 1 Bar/10% battery (16% Leaf Stat).

Not to mention, that with 85% SOH now, I will probably drop te first capacity bar in 2,000 miles - or, 3 months or so :( and thats my biggest complaint.

Nissan specs (NTB11-076a.jpg) ascertain a total driven mile range from 100%/12 bars down to one bar to be less than 67 miles (avg Economy 4.5) for them to consider replacing the battery. Im at 81 with 4.3 eco avg. so My battery Im sure by Nissan standards is prefect!

I am OK with range I have as it suites our needs well with plenty of extra. But how long it will keep that range depends on how fast the battery degrades

so now its 96 miles? and you are complaining about what??

FYI; 25 GIDs is not 15 miles. its more like 7-8. if a GID is 80 wh then 25 GIDs is 2kwh. so maybe 9 miles in your driving scenario above.

there have been a lot of reports of widely varying readings WITHOUT widely varying usable range. I think at this point you simply need to just drive it. looks like you are not going to lose a bar anytime soon

My battery data so far on my NEW 2015 Hot Climate Battery:

Leaf Stat Readings, 100% Charges
(Sorry, another LAME graph!)

Date....................Milage............GIDs............kWh.............SOC%..............SOH%.............HX%..........Ahr..................AvgTmp°...........EcoMile........Batt%..........ChBars........CapBars.......Range ActualMiles
02,05,15...........368...........268 ...........20.77...........97.25..........86.10.........87.03.......57.04...............68 ...........4.2/3.8.........100...............12...............12..............88
02,06,15............459 ..........266...........20.61...........96.82...........85.75.........86.56.......56.82.............70.3...........4.3/4.0........100...............12...............12..............96........96.3
02,08,15.............555..........266...........20.61..........96.82.............85.63........86.39.......56.73.............70.8............4.3/4.0.......100..............12................12.............94

So it appears that Gids dropped slightly, kwh is holding, SOC & SOH dropped a tad as well as Ahr

I also read through this whole post and cataloged all the posted data from 22 other Leafs & compared the data (not gonna post it as it would be a mess!)
Results:
Average 2015: 290 Gids - 22kwh - 97% SOC, SOH & HX - 63 Ahr 2,500 miles
WORST 2011...:272 Gids - 21kwh - 91% SOC, 100% SOC & HX - 66Ahr - 40,000 miles
WORST 2015......:271 Gids - 21 kwh - 97% SOC - 92% SOH, - 88% HX - 57.6 Ahr - 3,500 miles, Dallas, August Mfg ?
MY LEAF.............:266Gids - 20.6 kwh - 96.8 SOC - 85% SOC - 86% HX - 56 Ahr

So it seems I have a dud battery as my numbers are dismal. Im guessing it sat on the Lot in the sun during Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec - just baking the battery!

As KeyDiver suggested, could be a couple bad cells - that would be great if the cells can just be replaced.
proving a bad cell might be easier than convincing a bad pack.
I have to seek out a 'Leafer" in Phx nearby with LeafSpy to see if I can get a quick reading

This makes me think that maybe dealers should get cars without a battery, or a limited speed temp battery. Use a demo battery for the cars they need to test drive and then install a new battery that was kept inside during the pdi.

Maybe this is part of why tesla doesn't like the dealer model.

BooKittyLeaf said:
Yup agreed!

Im documenting the range & battery stats to kind of build a case for a new battery since this is a new car with 500 miles on it, it should have a new battery that starts out at 100% SOH/Capacity. The battery stats/health I show NOW are right on target with a 3 year old car with 35,000 miles - so that worried me.
What worries me more is that I have a feeling Nissan wont do a thing about it, claiming thats what the Capacity warranty is for - however, under that warranty, my replacement battery only has to bring me back up to 70%. If I was guaranteed a NEW battery for warranty replacement, I wouldn't be so concerned - just disappointed that Dealerships dont do anything for battery health while it sits on the lot for 3 months in the sun - probably at 100% charge, or close to it.

I wish I had Leaf Stat earlier. I had 3 days to return the car under the dealers Money back guarantee! ACTUALLY, I would NEVER buy an electric car in the first place with out Leaf Stat or similar program. Had I been able to test the battery like that and seen SOH of 85% I would have picked a different Leaf - Oh Well!

Now I have to fight for a NEW battery for my NEW car. How Nissan handles this will decide if I stick with the Leaf or jump ship as soon as the Chevy Bolt (or other EV) comes out - buying a NEW car with a battery that has already lost 15% capacity is like buying a new gas car with 30,000 miles already on it! Completely unacceptable.

DaveinOlyWA said:
BooKittyLeaf said:
so now its 96 miles? and you are complaining about what??

FYI; 25 GIDs is not 15 miles. its more like 7-8. if a GID is 80 wh then 25 GIDs is 2kwh. so maybe 9 miles in your driving scenario above.

there have been a lot of reports of widely varying readings WITHOUT widely varying usable range. I think at this point you simply need to just drive it. looks like you are not going to lose a bar anytime soon

I would not consider driving down to Turtle mode with 1% a useable range, even if it is 96 miles - thats completely unrealistic. As I said, I seem to have a solid 85 mile range, which more than suits our needs - so the Leaf works for us & we really like the car - so I have no complaints there.

The GID to miles translation is my best guess based on my data - I dont even know what a Gid is other than the Leafs Native power rating & it equals 80w

But that is a good point to consider - widely varying readings WITHOUT widely varying usable range.
I seem to have widely varying data on the very LOW side on my battery, but the range seems OK.

My concern, and thereby complaint, is that when purchasing a NEW car, the battery also should be in NEW CONDITION - not just NEW in the sense that is was just manufactured, but NEW in the condition, performance and capacity. I could be wrong, but I would imagine there to be a big difference in the longevity of the battery between starting at 100% SOH vs 85% SOH.
If it stayed at 85% for 3 years vs starting at 100% & degrading to 85 over 3 years - the end result would be the same. But starting at 85% enters in the possibility that it will degrade as well (maybe not linearly) and end up at 70% in 3 years... who knows. I dont wan to be the one to find out if I dont have to.

Back