2015: Battery Data Report @ 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took at 100% reading this morning. 22,200mi

272 Gids
21.08 Kwh
97.3 SOC
87.21% SOH
88.57 HX
57.78 Ahr
56.4 degrees

A bit higher than what I expected. Feeling ok with these for 22K miles. At this rate I may be able to stave off the first bar drop until 40K+ miles, assuming the winter % drop next year doesn't dip it low enough to trigger it since the car tends to drop quite a bit in max Gids during the winter. This year my low was 266 Gids so far.

tkdbrusco said:

272 Gids
21.08 Kwh
97.3 SOC
87.21% SOH
88.57 HX
57.78 Ahr
56.4 degrees

A bit higher than what I expected. Feeling ok with these for 22K miles. At this rate I may be able to stave off the first bar drop until 40K+ miles, assuming the winter % drop next year doesn't dip it low enough to trigger it since the car tends to drop quite a bit in max Gids during the winter. This year my low was 266 Gids so far.

21 Kwh looks good.

o00scorpion00o said:
tkdbrusco said:

272 Gids
21.08 Kwh
97.3 SOC
87.21% SOH
88.57 HX
57.78 Ahr
56.4 degrees

21 Kwh looks good.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here or not? Considering your car has 30K miles on it and 290 GIDS.... in Ireland...

tkdbrusco said:
o00scorpion00o said:
tkdbrusco said:

272 Gids
21.08 Kwh
97.3 SOC
87.21% SOH
88.57 HX
57.78 Ahr
56.4 degrees

21 Kwh looks good.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here or not? Considering your car has 30K miles on it and 290 GIDS.... in Ireland...

No I wasn't being sarcastic at all. 21 Kwh looks fine to me, I've 17,300 miles not 30K and 284 Gids.

I saw the same 66 Ah and 100% health today after the recent cold spell too and a battery temp of 2-3 Deg C. Haven't charged to 100% in a while while I'm still on xmas Holidays !

DNAinaGoodWay said:
My pack seems to have "un-degraded" back to its original, brand new readings.
Awesome! That's great it's possible to get back to the top stats even at your mileage. How many miles per day to you drive? Do you charge every day?

Interesting you have 64 AHr @ 292 GIDs while others with 66 AHr are in the 280's.

My experiment to drive/charge daily proved correct - the stats quickly climbed almost every single day while trying to drive 40-50 miles per day. In the middle, I tried to use the heater to use some of the battery capacity instead of driving as much and the stats stalled. I went back to driving as much as I could and the stats started to go back up.

As soon as I stopped my experiment and went back to charging every 2-3 days, the stats have been dropping just about every single charge now.

It's unfortunate the higher stats didn't hold but it's good info to know that if you drive enough to charge daily, it's better for the usable capacity. I think if I was able to keep the experiment going (or had to drive a lot like many do) the stats would continue to climb back up to as high as I've gotten. Temps have been good, high 50's to mid 60's so I don't think the cold is the cause for lower stats.

# Chart color coding... Dark green is when I started and ended the driving experiment, red is when I tried to use the heater instead of driving as much and then white is back to normal.

CsywCik.jpg

One chart based on time and the other based on mileage.

vKXLsgK.jpg

LeafMuranoDriver said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Awesome! That's great it's possible to get back to the top stats even at your mileage. How many miles per day to you drive? Do you charge every day?

Interesting you have 64 AHr @ 292 GIDs while others with 66 AHr are in the 280's.

No clue how the AHr vs GID thing works, or why my pack is like this, maybe it's the climate here, or maybe some packs are better than others. But it makes no sense to me that the numbers can go back up, unless there's reserve capacity, or the thing is lying. I do a consistent 1000 miles a month, so avg 35/day or so, half highway, think my avg speed is like 26. Most of the year I can go 2 days between charges, but in winter I'll charge every day cause I use all the heat I want.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

No clue how the AHr vs GID thing works, or why my pack is like this, maybe it's the climate here, or maybe some packs are better than others. But it makes no sense to me that the numbers can go back up, unless there's reserve capacity, or the thing is lying. I do a consistent 1000 miles a month, so avg 35/day or so, half highway, think my avg speed is like 26. Most of the year I can go 2 days between charges, but in winter I'll charge every day cause I use all the heat I want.

What's you long term average Mi/Kwh ? mine is about 3.4. It can be very windy here a lot of the time also which doesn't help.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
On the '12 it was 4.0, on the '15 it was 4.2, but now 4.1 I think, mostly due to heating, but charging every day lets me fly down the highway at 80 if I like. Luxury.

I got the work charge point so I drive pretty hard over my 84 mile commute.

DNAinaGoodWay said:

That's just plain bizarre...and good at the same time!
Makes me curious to see what my new battery pack does over the next year as I tend to consistently drive ~200 miles/week.

Stanton said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

That's just plain bizarre...and good at the same time!
Makes me curious to see what my new battery pack does over the next year as I tend to consistently drive ~200 miles/week.

I don't know, but I sure would like mine
to un-degrade!

DNAinaGoodWay said:
^ there's another one.

I wonder if the "lizard" battery is actually engineered to perform better in cooler climates. Like Japan.

I would say the changes to the current 24 Kwh Gen form July 2013 on are more than more heat resistance.

There could be better cycling performance and higher current capability or better C charging rates and perhaps discharge C rates also.

Could be improved cycling ability also or a combination of all, small changes can have a big impact.

The 30 kwh is a different chemistry altogether and it could last a very long time. Mine is due to arrive about the 3rd week in February, it charges faster also from the DC charger.

o00scorpion00o said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
^ there's another one.

I wonder if the "lizard" battery is actually engineered to perform better in cooler climates. Like Japan.

I would say the changes to the current 24 Kwh Gen form July 2013 on are more than more heat resistance.

There could be better cycling performance and higher current capability or better C charging rates and perhaps discharge C rates also.

Could be improved cycling ability also or a combination of all, small changes can have a big impact.

The 30 kwh is a different chemistry altogether and it could last a very long time. Mine is due to arrive about the 3rd week in February, it charges faster also from the DC charger.

I hope conclusions aren't being drawn on something that is unproven. I would be curious to see your comparison data to support your position. I am continuing to lose slightly less than 1% a month even in a more temperate climate (winter) with the lizard battery. I submit that they are not more heat resistant as touted by Nissan.

They did not make any further claims as to durability as far as I know. And could you point me to where they have said that the 30kWh battery is a different chemistry? I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this to see if they should be called the penguin battery as someone else has suggested.

Back