2015: Battery Data Report @ 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the cells being "balanced" at the very end of a charge...

I have noticed multiple times now that when the car reaches 98% GOM, the cells are all blue but then I come back to the car 30 minutes later when the 3 charge lights have shut off and it's at 100% the bars are almost all red. What's up with this?

o00scorpion00o said:
I would say that now you have done your test and the numbers are rising that there is nothing to be concerned about and driving for the sake of it now would be rather useless if those trips are not necessary.
I agree. I'm quite happy the #'s have returned. It's been an interesting test and it's really surprising how low the #'s got. I thought it was close to losing it's 1st bar but at 99% SOH, I don't think it would happen even though every other # was so low.

I have data for every month, but to keep this from becoming too unwieldy, I'll only include sample data points for 2015:

12/28/14 / 93mi / 9 L1/L2s & 1 QC:
96.4% SOC / 289 GIDs / 22.4 kWh / 63.28 AHr / 100% SOH / 97.45% Hx

02/28/15 * 1,477mi * 54 L1/L2s & 1 QC * 4.4 mi/kWh (for the past month):
97.3% SOC * 281 GIDs * 21.0 kWh * 59.72 AHr * 96% SOH * 92.08% Hx

04/27/15 * 2,927mi * 95 L1/L2s & 1 QC * 4.5 mi/kWh (for the past month):
97.3% SOC / 287 GIDs / 22.2 kWh / 61.02 AHr / 98% SOH / 94.22% Hx

06/29/15 * 4,264mi * 132 L1/L2s & 2 QC * 4.4 mi/kWh (for the past month):
97.2% SOC * 292 GIDs * 22.6 kWh * 62.99 AHr * 100% SOH * 97.09% Hx
Funny that these are essentially the best numbers I've ever recorded--right in the middle of the hot, central valley, California summer!

07/31/2015 * 4,695 mi * 138 L1/L2s & 5 QC * 4.4 mi/kWh (for the past month):
96.6% SOC * 286 GIDs * 22.2 kWh * 61.26 AHr * 98% SOH * 94.61% Hx

During October 2015, I decided to use the CHAdeMO Quick Charger at my local Nissan dealer on a regular basis, as sort of an experiment, and my battery has--perhaps coincidently--really gone to hell during this time:
10/01/2015 * 6,281 mi * 187 L1/L2s & 7 QC * 4.4 mi/kWh (for the past month):
97.3% SOC * 280 GIDs * 21.7 kWh * 57.73 AHr * 95% SOH * 91.41% Hx
10/31/2015 * 7,281 mi * 211 L1/L2s & 16 QC * 4.5 mi/kWh (for the past month):
96.2% SOC * 268 GIDs * 20.8 kWh * 57.69 AHr * 92% SOH * 88.37% Hx
(Note that these are the worst/lowest values I have recorded since buying the car about 10 months ago. I am NOT going to use the QC on a regular basis again!)

12/01/2015 * 8,007 mi * 239 L1/L2s & 17 QC * 4.0 mi/kWh (for the past month):
97.2% SOC * 268 GIDs * 20.8 kWh * 56.98 AHr * 91% SOH * 86.89% Hx

01/01/2016 * 8,593 mi * 261 L1/L2s & 18 QC * 3.7 mi/kWh (for the past month):
95.5% SOC * 263 GIDs * 20.4 kWh * 57.18 AHr * 92% SOH * 87.32% Hx

Note that the temperature has fallen in Chico--as it has here in Bakersfield. I've seen the same drop in Gids and kWh. I am hoping it returns in the spring. Currently running 260 to 262 Gids on L2 charge.

Paul

I decided to charge to 100% and measure stats again, but this time after waiting a few hours to let the pack balance as others suggested this might help. Interestingly, there is a noticeable improvement on the stats vs just two days ago. As someone else pointed out, this likely has no real impact on range or battery performance over the long term, just make stats look a bit better. So FWIW, following are my stats from a few days ago taken immediately after charging vs today taken about 2 hours after charging.

12/30/15. 1/2/16
Mileage 11,435. 11,537
GIDs. 278. 284
kWh. 21.5. 22.0
SOC. 97.2. 97.3
SOH. 95. 97
Hx. 91.11. 93.06
AHr. 59.14. 60.32
Temp. 71.0. 59.2
# QCs. 34. 35
Full GOM. 102. 102

You'll also see the numbers climb faster using the DC fast, Rapid or whatever you call the ChADeMo chargers.

Charging to 80+ % seems to have a greater impact.

Over the past 5 days, I only drove and charged when needed. My best stats at the end of my "test" were 279 GIDs / 21.6 kWh, 2 days later it only charged to 275 GIDs / 21.3 kWh and yesterday was down to 271 GIDs / 21.0 kWh.

The only difference was miles driven. I charged exactly the same as usual and the temps have been pretty consistent, maybe a little higher which should up the usable capacity.

If the Leaf is not used and charged daily, the usable capacity sure goes down quite a bit.

SOH has been steady at 99%.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Over the past 5 days, I only drove and charged when needed. My best stats at the end of my "test" were 279 GIDs / 20.6 kWh, 2 days later it only charged to 275 GIDs / 20.3 kWh and yesterday was down to 271 GIDs / 20.0 kWh.

The only difference was miles driven. I charged exactly the same as usual and the temps have been pretty consistent, maybe a little higher which should up the usable capacity.

If the Leaf is not used and charged daily, the usable capacity sure goes down quite a bit.

SOH has been steady at 99%.

It is a shame Nissan didn't include thermal management , I'm sure it gets quiet hot in LA compared to this wet and windy Island, if I want to cool the battery I drive to the nearest flood and I am quiet spoiled for cooling pools here ! :D

I would say your battery is doing fine for now. You'll probably have long sold it before you'd notice any capacity loss.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
You mean the reported capacity goes down, not the usable capacity. Unless you are doing a range test to turtle to confirm, you're almost certainly just seeing the effects usage patterns on how the LBC calculates internal values.

drees said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:
You mean the reported capacity goes down, not the usable capacity. Unless you are doing a range test to turtle to confirm, you're almost certainly just seeing the effects usage patterns on how the LBC calculates internal values.
If LeafSpy reports I have 22.6 kWh available vs. 20.1 kWh... isn't that 2.5 kWh less of usable capacity?

I can definitely tell I get less mileage per charge than I did when the stats were higher. When my stats were higher the GOM would always read 100+ when I charged. As my stats got to their low, I get around 80-90 no matter how easy I drive prior to charging. These #'s are with ECO on and no heat/AC.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
...If LeafSpy reports I have 22.6 kWh available vs. 20.1 kWh... isn't that 2.5 kWh less of usable capacity?..
No.

Those are your LBC's estimates of available capacity, which Nissan realized were so inaccurate and unreliable, it only presented the results filtered through the charge and capacity bar displays.

Any LEAF owner who believes their LBC's estimates of available battery capacity or capacity degradation are reliable at this late date, is evidencing a preference for delusion over reality.

drees said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:
Exactly! The is a classic case of "the illusion of precision", a common phenomenon in the science world. Trying to apply hard numbers to the chemistry of a battery is difficult and subject to fairly wide error bars, depending on the measurement conditions.

I could understand a couple % variance but not 10 to 13%.

When my stats were high, I could get 100 miles around town, now it's around 85. (Both on ECO) How can this be explained?

Also, what's the point of this thread (even LeafSpy in general) if the #'s reported at 100% charge are not accurate?

LeafMuranoDriver said:
drees said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:
If LeafSpy reports I have 22.6 kWh available vs. 20.1 kWh... isn't that 2.5 kWh less of usable capacity?

I can definitely tell I get less mileage per charge than I did when the stats were higher. When my stats were higher the GOM would always read 100+ when I charged. As my stats got to their low, I get around 80-90 no matter how easy I drive prior to charging. These #'s are with ECO on and no heat/AC.

I'd pay no attention to the GOM, as a poster suggested above, the only way to know is to drive it to turtle and measure the Kwh consumed by leafspy and the miles driven. But you'd want to have done this test from brand new to compare.

Leafspy reports the usable capacity.

The GOM will base it's reading on the previous driving style, If I drive easy a full charge might say 100 miles on the GOM or 75 is I drive hard.

o00scorpion00o said:
I'd pay no attention to the GOM, as a poster suggested above, the only way to know is to drive it to turtle and measure the Kwh consumed by leafspy and the miles driven. But you'd want to have done this test from brand new to compare.
I'm looking at the GOM after consistent driving though. I drive the same routes at the same speed 95% of the time and also charge the same.
o00scorpion00o said:
Leafspy reports the usable capacity.
I guess not based on the above posts?
o00scorpion00o said:
The GOM will base it's reading on the previous driving style, If I drive easy a full charge might say 100 miles on the GOM or 75 is I drive hard.
Exactly. I drive the same so shouldn't it be the same? I cannot get the GOM to even read 100+ if I drive easy compared to when my stats were higher, the GOM would always read 100+.

Here is my stats from this morning after a full balanced charge. Not bad for a year old car with 17,300 miles !

Screenshot_20160105-171740.png

Screenshot_20160105-171720.png

LeafMuranoDriver said:
I'm jealous of your stats, o00scorpion00o.

But according to some posts above, they are not accurate. I'm still trying to understand...

We're all trying to understand, but as long as I'm showing 21-22 kwh available then I'm happy.

o00scorpion00o said:
We're all trying to understand, but as long as I'm showing 21-22 kwh available then I'm happy.
21-22 is definitely acceptable. I charged yesterday and only got 20.7 kWh / 267 GIDs / 56.82 AHr.

My test to drive/charge daily worked bringing me from 20.1 kWh up to 21.6 kWh. Once I stopped testing and went back to charging every 2-3 days my stats are dropping quite rapidly.

At the current rate, I may be back at my low in a week or 2. :(

LeafMuranoDriver said:
o00scorpion00o said:
21-22 is definitely acceptable. I charged yesterday and only got 20.7 kWh / 267 GIDs / 56.82 AHr.

My test to drive/charge daily worked bringing me from 20.1 kWh up to 21.6 kWh. Once I stopped testing and went back to charging every 2-3 days my stats are dropping quite rapidly.

At the current rate, I may be back at my low in a week or 2. :(

I wouldn't worry about it, I think your leaf is doing fine.

It is strange that the more the battery is used the more the reported stats improve.

Back