2014 Leaf Drifts to the Left!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electriccarfan

In May 2014, I took out a 3-year lease on a 2014 Nissan Leaf S. I drove it up until now relatively problem free. I've noticed for a while now that when I drive straight, my Leaf drifts to the left ever-so-very-slightly. Basically, I've got to hold the steering wheel a hair to the right to maintain a straight line. Its not really all that noticeable or irritating but I worry about the longevity of my stock Ecopias. I called my dealership and they said that the Leaf may (on some Leafs) slightly drift to the right as a safety measure. They weren't sure why its drifts to the left though. The dealer then said it may not be worth worrying about (since its so minute an issue). I don't plan to buy the car, but I plan to re-lease a 2017 Leaf as this lease is through.

I did a little test the other day. I drove it down the road with no hands on the wheel just to see if it truly does have a problem or not. I accelerated to the speed limit and drove along and braked. It went down the road straight & true for the most part even when braking it didn't drift. It only slightly started veering toward the left after a while (around about a half-mile give or take). For a while it seemed like it could hold that forever. I did this on a freshly repaved road with 40-42 PSI per tire.

A mechanic friend of the family recommended possibly (if I'm that worried about it), putting it up on his lift and swapping the front two tires (for free of coarse). He said that MAY correct the problem, or it may not. I ran this by the dealer and they agreed, but cautioned that it may lead to other, unforeseen problems in the future if done (as is the case with any car). The sealer service lady recommended perhaps not worrying about it at all (as it could also be cupping and or warping of the road). Now I'm not really sure what I should do. Should I put it up on the lift and swap the front two tires? Or, leave it be and let the Ecopias wear as they do?

electriccarfan said:
I called my dealership and they said that the Leaf may (on some Leafs) slightly drift to the right as a safety measure.

:lol:
No.

The car will track in the direction of the road grade. It has very loose steering and considerably less tendency to return to center, but it still should return to center if it's on a flat even surface. If it's tracking in both directions, it's probably a slight grade in the road surface to one side or the other. If it's consistently tracking in one direction on a flat even surface, it's something the dealership should take care of. Regardless of whether it's a tire or suspension related problem, the dealer should be the ones to address the issue if it's been doing it since new. Don't take any crap from them about 'safety measures'. That's complete bull crap.

I was thinking that, but I'm worried it could be something I did (but have forgotten) and will end up costing me money. I've always been careful not to hit any curbs or anything, and I don't normally drive rough. My family says "don't worry about it, your worried about nothing". The dealer charges 85/hour, and I've gotten the feeling they don't want to hear from me anymore (after a few other problems in the past; touch up paint- from paint chip from factory and bumper misalignment). Its a home town dealer, so the same lady runs the service department all the time and she is not a people person. I don't know, I'm kind of confused :? . I've never leased before (or bought new) so that doesn't help.

I live in the USA; the NW Ohio/SE MI area. I parallel park everyday in my driveway, I don't know if that even has anything to do though. My Leaf was a floor model and I got it with 37 Miles on it (mostly Michigan highway miles). I really don't want to spend money (shop fees or etc) on maintenance for my Leaf since I'm just handing it back in 32 months.

Back