2013 SV has the clicking sound

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With nearly 10k miles, I have this problem and probably had it for a while but never noticed as I play the radio at all times. I only paid attn to it as I have an early build - January 2013, and noticed this thread expanding.

I took the car in, reproduced it with the tech. It happens in all modes, but B mode with the windows closed makes the loudest "thump" whenever accelerating or taking your foot off the pedal.

Received an update call that they needed to order some parts for the "thump" sound. It should be ready by tomorrow.

Update: NTB12-055c applied. All is good.

I had the same problem, my Leaf sounded like it was creaking at take off. The dealer took care of it, plus gave me a rental because the parts need to be overnighted. Sounds great now, (can't hear a thing). Also, the brakes work much better and seem to regenerate like they should.

Anyway, After speaking to the dealership mechanics, the sound is due to the front axle shifting during acceleration and deceleration. The mechanics told me about others before me and the first guy with the problem had to have his whole front end system shipped back to Tennessee to be analyzed. Turns out the factory did not adequately lubricate a specific area of the front axle.

Service bulletin NTB12-055c was applied.

ehunter said:
I posted about this issue except in a different thread months ago and even supplied a sound clip:

From an iPhone video I stripped out the sound to WAV. From there I suppressed the sound before and after the pop/clack/knock sound. Then I did the opposite to the problematic sound by increasing its volume. I cut out much of the activity between knocks so the video would not last too long. Then I used Windows Movie Maker to add video to the sound clip by just entering a photo. Lastly an upload to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLX0WR6ppVo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, After speaking to the dealership mechanics, the sound is due to the front axle shifting during acceleration and deceleration. The mechanics told me about others before me and the first guy with the problem had to have his whole front end system shipped back to Tennessee to be analyzed. Turns out the factory did not adequately lubricate a specific area of the front axle.

Service bulletin NTB12-055c was applied. Nissan got the car at 8am, they called me at 11am to say it is finished and that included a tire rotation and wash.
Thanks for posting this clip, it helped confirm I'm not going crazy ;)

The tech said he only heard it once (although I hear it all the time), but found a TSB (after I mentioned it to the service manager) and started applying some grease until he found out he doesn't have the proper washers, so they have been ordered and they will call me back once in stock. I don't remember reading about new washers being part of this TSB tho.

ehunter said:
I posted about this issue except in a different thread months ago and even supplied a sound clip:

From an iPhone video I stripped out the sound to WAV. From there I suppressed the sound before and after the pop/clack/knock sound. Then I did the opposite to the problematic sound by increasing its volume. I cut out much of the activity between knocks so the video would not last too long. Then I used Windows Movie Maker to add video to the sound clip by just entering a photo. Lastly an upload to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLX0WR6ppVo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Service bulletin NTB12-055c was applied. Nissan got the car at 8am, they called me at 11am to say it is finished and that included a tire rotation and wash.

hm my noise happens as I creep along in the garage and it is more metallic in the nature like there as some lose bolts slapping around in the drivetrain. here is the video of my noise : [youtube]http://youtu.be/eX3G3DDT7Xw[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/eX3G3DDT7Xw

did anyone had same issue/noise?

i wish my dealer didn't suck. they correctly realized the "clunk" in my 2011 leaf was covered by the TSB outlined above, but then apparently did not actually perform the TSB work.

the work order says they removed the front wheels and put them back, then test-drove the car and could not hear the sound anymore. no mention of grease or repacking bearings or anything.

when my wife went to pick up the car, it was still doing it, louder than ever.

i sincerely hope these asshats did not collect money from nissan for this work, because they didn't do anything and didn't solve the problem.

i have to find another dealer.

next car = tesla. dealing with these scumbag dealers is the worst part of owning a "regular" car.

astrorob said:
i wish my dealer didn't suck. they correctly realized the "clunk" in my 2011 leaf was covered by the TSB outlined above, but then apparently did not actually perform the TSB work.

the work order says they removed the front wheels and put them back, then test-drove the car and could not hear the sound anymore. no mention of grease or repacking bearings or anything.

when my wife went to pick up the car, it was still doing it, louder than ever.

i sincerely hope these asshats did not collect money from nissan for this work, because they didn't do anything and didn't solve the problem.

i have to find another dealer.

next car = tesla. dealing with these scumbag dealers is the worst part of owning a "regular" car.

Call the Nissan LEAF hotline, as that's a major screwup. I'm starting to notice it more and more now, so not sure what to do myself since I already had the TSB applied. Just another design flaw I guess.

lion said:
Call the Nissan LEAF hotline, as that's a major screwup. I'm starting to notice it more and more now, so not sure what to do myself since I already had the TSB applied. Just another design flaw I guess.

good idea, i should do that.

however, it's bad to hear that even after the TSB was applied that the car is still making the noise. perhaps the TSB does not really solve it.

My dealer already replaced my front axle and is now replacing the entire motor. I found I could easily reproduce the click for them:
1. Hold left foot hard on brake, keep it there.
2. Put in drive, right foot on accel: CLICK Let off accel.
3. Put in reverse, depress accel: CLICK Let off accel
GOTO 2 to repeat the process.

My dealer has been working with Nissan to diagnose the issue, so maybe Nissan is actually interested in finding out what caused it.

Have you made any progress with this? Clicking is getting louder again (plus other weird suspension noises sometimes), but really don't want to give up the car for a long period of time.

It drives fine, my only concern is that I'm at 23,000 miles already, and trying to figure out if I should get the extended warranty.

They first replaced my front axle, and said the sound was still there, though I never had a chance to test it myself. Then they replaced the motor. The problem is mostly gone, but now that I'm listening closely, I feel like I still hear it faintly. I suspect it's a design problem, and many of them will get clicks like this. I doubt it's a serious issue, and I wish I hadn't taken it in. The whole process took a month, during which I was wasting my lease payments while I didn't have my car.

This is what I was looking for:
"I wish I hadn't taken it in"

I guess that's a no-brainer decision when leasing, let it be their problem. My problem is that I purchased the vehicle, and it's starting to backfire now, because the build quality is worse than my early 2000s Ford Taurus.

On top of that, my suspension creaks and pops so much, I feel like I'm on a pirate ship.

I can live with the pops if I know it isn't anything serious, but I'm guessing that at 36,001 miles, the car will disintegrate :/

Took it in again for this issue. They are doing the same service, and they just called me that they need to keep it overnight because they don't have that damn part again.

I guess this is going to be a permanent issue for me.

Mine has remained better since they replaced the entire traction motor. According to the dealer, the axle lubrication and replacement didn't fix the sound.

Just got a follow-up call, they now say it's the reduction gear, and will be replacing it. I'll be put into an ICE loaner, but they say it's safe to drive for now. I really hope I won't regret this fix.

Good luck. I was in my ICE loaner for about a month. However, Nissan was nice enough to reimburse me for 2 months of lease payments.

just got home from dealership for the clicking noise. They replaced the front brake pads and did the grease service.before they worked on the car it would only click once in awhile.now every time I start or stop it clicks. Mechanic must be deaf or dumb. Not sure if I should bring it back or try another dealer. I guess I will give them another shot at it. Just hate having to drive the ice car. Can't believe how much I enjoy driving the leaf !.

jbebel said:
I found I could easily reproduce the click for them:
1. Hold left foot hard on brake, keep it there.
2. Put in drive, right foot on accel: CLICK Let off accel.
3. Put in reverse, depress accel: CLICK Let off accel
GOTO 2 to repeat the process.
FWIW, my '11 is doing this. Has slowly gotten louder over the last year or so.

Wouldn't this be covered by the 5-year / 60k mi powertrain warranty if the motor needs to be replaced?

mwalsh said:
drees said:
Wouldn't this be covered by the 5-year / 60k mi powertrain warranty if the motor needs to be replaced?
Yes. Even if it's something else between the motor and the wheels, it's still covered. Get it in for repair already!
Took it in to Mossy Escondido Nissan for the annual battery report and to check out the noise, and they say it's not covered by the powertrain warranty. Grrr.... Want $390 to lube it, crazy. Going to hold off for right now.

drees said:
Took it in to Mossy Escondido Nissan for the annual battery report and to check out the noise, and they say it's not covered by the powertrain warranty. Grrr.... Want $390 to lube it, crazy. Going to hold off for right now.
Got them to double check with their warranty experts, now they're going to do it under warranty.

Back