2013 SV has the clicking sound

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am observing same Click too for last 1000 miles, I have 3500 miles on it now 2013 SV.

I will take in too for inspection. Any one knows when is the first regular inspection due and is it Free..

I had the same issue. Dealer performed NTB12-055 at 4200 miles. I thought I started to hear it coming back at 8,400 miles. I will have to double check if I ever get it out of the shop for the other issue.

It comes when I brake and when I accelerate after braking. Just 1 click and looks to me its coming from the front.

freshleaf said:
It comes when I brake and when I accelerate after braking. Just 1 click and looks to me its coming from the front.

That is what I had. Lubricating the drive train splines by the dealer did the trick. Car is now quiet.

I had this click for a while now but now it is really noticeable and annoying. The bad part is my car just passed 36k miles so the bumper to bumper warranty is no more. Anyone knows if this is fixable under the 5yr/60k miles EV powertrain warranty?

Valdemar said:
I had this click for a while now but now it is really noticeable and annoying. The bad part is my car just passed 36k miles so the bumper to bumper warranty is no more. Anyone knows if this is fixable under the 5yr/60k miles EV powertrain warranty?

There may be a TSB on it, so in that case it may be covered.

Another datapoint.

I had the clicking noise, started at ~2200miles. Appears to be coming from front axle only.

Took it in service, and they just called with a "Greased the Splines" response.

Seems like a common thing, as well as an easy fix.

Went in to the Dealer, he hear the clicking, they also found a Service Bulletin "ntb12-055c".
Grease the spline, re torque and replace the cotter pins (2) front axle. In and out in 30 min.
So far no sound and back to noiseless smooth moving car.

While I was their saw 2 buying customers on the whole lot and both taking LEAF for a Test drive.
I think LEAF is making great headway's as far as Sales goes.. People are learning more about the Car and the Gas
savings it can do... they even running commercial on TV now for LEAF....

Valdemar said:

Its covered after warranty since they have a TSB ntb-12 055b or 055c.
Actually 055c just came out on Sept 17, 2013 and covers all of their Cars, seems like a assembly line issue
which is hitting every car they manufacture. Easy fix of 30 min of Labor, some grease and cotter pins.

I had clicking noise too at start and stop. The dealer - tech department recommended I have the engine replaced. Its all under warranty. So even though this seems like heart surgery , I went ahead with it. I let you know what happened when i get the Leaf back tomorrow, but supposedly the clicking noise will be gone , ittook one day to replace the motor.
Nissan Leaf 2013 1344 miles, I've had it since May.

dlebow said:
I had clicking noise too at start and stop. The dealer - tech department recommended I have the engine replaced. Its all under warranty. So even though this seems like heart surgery , I went ahead with it. I let you know what happened when i get the Leaf back tomorrow, but supposedly the clicking noise will be gone , ittook one day to replace the motor.
Nissan Leaf 2013 1344 miles, I've had it since May.

Which Engine they replacing the one in the front or the one in the Back. ??

dlebow said:
Yep, changing out the electric motor in the front of car.

Real strange to have the motor replaced for clicking sound. Didnt they try the Grease first to make sure its not the Splines..

freshleaf said:
Valdemar said:

Its covered after warranty since they have a TSB ntb-12 055b or 055c.
Actually 055c just came out on Sept 17, 2013 and covers all of their Cars, seems like a assembly line issue
which is hitting every car they manufacture. Easy fix of 30 min of Labor, some grease and cotter pins.

Thanks for providing the TSB specifics.

I just leased my 13 SV. I too have noticed a sound, but more like a creaking at slow take off. The car is so quite, I thought it might be normal. Thanks for the posts, I'll call my dealer.

dietersrover said:
I just leased my 13 SV. I too have noticed a sound, but more like a creaking at slow take off. The car is so quite, I thought it might be normal. Thanks for the posts, I'll call my dealer.

Senior Tech told me thats the first LEAF someone brought in for clicking sound. My Dealer had sold many LEAFS so I was surprised that other not bringing in.
Some time we think its normal to have these sounds but to me it was annoying and can develop to something big later.

I posted about this issue except in a different thread months ago and even supplied a sound clip:

From an iPhone video I stripped out the sound to WAV. From there I suppressed the sound before and after the pop/clack/knock sound. Then I did the opposite to the problematic sound by increasing its volume. I cut out much of the activity between knocks so the video would not last too long. Then I used Windows Movie Maker to add video to the sound clip by just entering a photo. Lastly an upload to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLX0WR6ppVo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, After speaking to the dealership mechanics, the sound is due to the front axle shifting during acceleration and deceleration. The mechanics told me about others before me and the first guy with the problem had to have his whole front end system shipped back to Tennessee to be analyzed. Turns out the factory did not adequately lubricate a specific area of the front axle.

Service bulletin NTB12-055c was applied. Nissan got the car at 8am, they called me at 11am to say it is finished and that included a tire rotation and wash.

I had the issue taken care of today. The service advisor said that unlike recalls repairs done according to TSBs are not necessarily paid for by Nissan, and can be out of pocket depending on the affected parts and whether they are still covered by the main or powertrain warranties. True or not I don't know. My car was not much over 36k they said they'd do it under warranty for free, as well as the grabby brakes software update. Whoever is in LA, I had a good experience at Nissan of Van Nuys couple of times already, they were not pushy, were not trying to upsale services I didn't need, and generally treated me well. It was my experience anyway, YMMV.

Back