2013 stock Leaf EVSE charges at both 120V and 240V?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
We have received units in where people have done this, and they definitely will work for a short while (variable time), then the switch-mode supply in the unit catastrophically self-destructs. There are several components that aren't rated for the 320VDC that is generated when connected to 240VAC, and they operate in a high-stress mode over their design ratings, so it's roulette as to when they will fail.

Nissan has also been getting these back under "warranty" and has a service bulletin out instructing dealers to open the case before honoring any warranty claims. When the unit goes, it leaves a huge mess inside, and it's very obvious what happened.

Thanks for your support of the community and addressing this Phil! Hopefully others will see this post and avoid damaging theirs!

For anyone with a blown 2013 EVSE, I bet you could send it to GlennD and he can try getting an OpenEVSE to fit ;)

Here is the NTB for the 2011-2012 EVSEs; doesn't look like they've updated it for 2013 yet.
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?linkid=3411&catid=652#.UblK9vnCZsI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^^^
Thanks! I didn't know there was a TSB on this.

For those who don't know, you have to have a (free) account there to login to download the PDFs of the TSBs. You're limited to 2 files/day w/a free account.

I can easily imagine how a story like this starts, and a few facts get dropped along the way. A LEAF owner shows someone his upgraded EVSE, and how it can use either voltage. This guy that saw this then tells another LEAF-owner friend about what he saw, only he didn't quite follow the bit about why it was sent out for a few days, maybe to get the plug changed or something, anyway it can charge from any voltage. Pretty soon the story is simplified to "universal charger" (as a bonus, they conveniently forget it's not a charger, either :) )

Ultimately, we have an informed source (total posts = 3).

^^^^
Yep. Seems like a good hypothesis.

And, the worst part is the confused folks think "yeah, it'll work since the car can handle up to 240 volts AC. That's what the hardwired charging stations run at."

Back