2013 SL with 20K miles being delivered to me by Carvana

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbearballs

With Carvana, you get a 7 day 'test drive' period. If you don't like it, you can send it back no questions asked. I have leaf spy on my phone and I have the KONNWEI KW902 Mini Bluetooth Wireless OBD-II Car Auto Diagnostic Scan Tools on it's way to me. I did look at the pdf to check for diagnostics, but it looks pretty confusing.

What else should I be doing to make sure this car is a good buy?

I know I need to call Nissan to make sure that the car still has the warranty and the original owner didn't buy it out, right?

The capacity coverage on the car is 60 months/60000 miles so if the battery gets to 8 bars then I get a free battery replacement, correct?

The price of the car is $14,000, does that seem fair? It does have the Bose and backup camera but I think it may have some pretty good scratches and scrapes.

I get the car March 3rd. Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://www.carvana.com/search/2000017219/2013-nissan-leaf-sl

I was looking strongly at Carvana's for a second leaf. I requested they send me pictures of the battery bars 3 separate times and they never followed up as they promised.

Where is the car coming from??. If it's not go your liking I believe you will need to still pay fior shipping both ways, unless it's local.

Carvana's has a very nice slick web site. I couldn't find anywhere to link to free CarFax to see history and where in the country the car came from.

Another forum member bought a 2012 Leaf from them recently and when it arrived it only had 8 bars of capacity. He was initially dissapointed but he brought it to his local Nissan dealer and they replaced the HV traction battery under warranty so he made out.

Flyct said:
I was looking strongly at Carvana's for a second leaf. I requested they send me pictures of the battery bars 3 separate times and they never followed up as they promised.

Where is the car coming from??. If it's not go your liking I believe you will need to still pay fior shipping both ways, unless it's local.

Carvana's has a very nice slick web site. I couldn't find anywhere to link to free CarFax to see history and where in the country the car came from.

Another forum member bought a 2012 Leaf from them recently and when it arrived it only had 8 bars of capacity. He was initially dissapointed but he brought it to his local Nissan dealer and they replaced the HV traction battery under warranty so he made out.

It's a lease from Georgia. You scared me about the shipping. It's free shipping to me and free shipping back if I don't like it because I'm by one of their hubs. I also asked for bar pictures and never got one. I think I'd be happy to get an 8 bar capacity, it's the 10 or 11 bar capacity that will be risky.

Great for free shipping for you being in one of their hubs. Big advantage!

They quoted me $360 to ship one way to me from Georgia to Tampa area.

Most 2013's I've been looking at that were registered and used in Georgia seem to have 11-12 bars.

Best of luck with your new 2013 SL! I got my 2013 S last October from Carvana as well. I decided to go with something affordable to "test the waters" with the LEAF, and EVs in general. I must say this prolonged test has gone well, and I could never see myself buying an ICE in the future.

For me, it was $1500 for the shipping. I am not sure if I would have had to pay an additional $1500 to have it shipped back to Atlanta, had I not been happy with it. I did have them confirm for me that it had a full 12 bars prior to shipping (although now I know pictures including range estimator would be better, since bars can be reset). All in all the process was smooth, and I would consider doing business with Carvana again.

xan said:
Best of luck with your new 2013 SL! I got my 2013 S last October from Carvana as well. I decided to go with something affordable to "test the waters" with the LEAF, and EVs in general. I must say this prolonged test has gone well, and I could never see myself buying an ICE in the future.

For me, it was $1500 for the shipping. I am not sure if I would have had to pay an additional $1500 to have it shipped back to Atlanta, had I not been happy with it. I did have them confirm for me that it had a full 12 bars prior to shipping (although now I know pictures including range estimator would be better, since bars can be reset). All in all the process was smooth, and I would consider doing business with Carvana again.

$1500 for shipping, my gosh. I am lucky. What range were you getting with your 12 bars? What do you think I should be looking for in that area?

bigbearballs said:
The price of the car is $14,000, does that seem fair? It does have the Bose and backup camera but I think it may have some pretty good scratches and scrapes.

https://www.carvana.com/search/2000017219/2013-nissan-leaf-sl

$14,000 is extremely high. I prefer Teavana!

bigbearballs said:
$1500 for shipping, my gosh. I am lucky. What range were you getting with your 12 bars? What do you think I should be looking for in that area?
If it has 11 or 12 bars, you should be good. Although if your LEAF is still under warranty, 9 bars would be ideal so you can get a free new lizard battery soon. ;)

I am getting about 95 miles in the city when heat is not on. According to Leaf Spy my battery's capacity is still at 90%, so I'd say I'm doing pretty well. When I first got the car, I got about 85 miles. Improved driving habits attributed to most of this increase, although I did do a few small aero mods.

Also, you may receive the car a bit early. I was surely surprised when my LEAF arrived here in AZ just 2 days after I ordered it! (Nearly a week before the estimated arrival date)

xan said:
bigbearballs said:
If it has 11 or 12 bars, you should be good. Although if your LEAF is still under warranty, 9 bars would be ideal so you can get a free new lizard battery soon. ;)

I am getting about 95 miles in the city when heat is not on. According to Leaf Spy my battery's capacity is still at 90%, so I'd say I'm doing pretty well. When I first got the car, I got about 85 miles. Improved driving habits attributed to most of this increase, although I did do a few small aero mods.

Also, you may receive the car a bit early. I was surely surprised when my LEAF arrived here in AZ just 2 days after I ordered it! (Nearly a week before the estimated arrival date)

What were you mods? If the card doesn't have the SD card, how do I go about fixing that?

Found my answer...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21515&hilit=sd+card

leaf.png

Looks like 10 bars and 52 miles on an almost full charge, this is a 2013 with 34k miles on it. What are the chances I get this to 8 bars by the time the 60k battery degradation warranty is up?

This is not the carvana leaf, just another used one I'm looking at.

I'm new here, also posted in the newbie forum. Can anyone give me some advice on this car? It's a 2013 that's only been driven in Florida. What are the chances of this falling below 9 bars? If so, it doesn't look like Nissan will guarantee a new battery, only to bring the car back up to 9 bars. Any help is appreciated!
leaf.png

It depends upon in-service date. Capacity warranty is 5 years or 60k miles. That Leaf has 25k miles left, but it may run out of time. Also, 2013 and late warranty just requires that Nissan restore battery to at least 9 bars so I would not assume that it would qualify for a completely new battery.

Gerry

1 bar? Hah. First bar is 15% of capacity loss. Next bars are much less.
And if you start using in "mildly warm" Texas it is possible to get below
warranty limit before it runs out :lol:

bigbearballs said:
I'm new here, also posted in the newbie forum. Can anyone give me some advice on this car? It's a 2013 that's only been driven in Florida. What are the chances of this falling below 9 bars? If so, it doesn't look like Nissan will guarantee a new battery, only to bring the car back up to 9 bars. Any help is appreciated!
leaf.png
In Texas, you've got a good to excellent chance of it dropping below 9 bars while under warranty. So far, Nissan's been replacing all batteries under warranty with new batteries instead of just installing one that would bring it up to 9 bars, but whether or how long that will continue is unknown.

GRA said:
bigbearballs said:
leaf.png
In Texas, you've got a good to excellent chance of it dropping below 9 bars while under warranty. So far, Nissan's been replacing all batteries under warranty with new batteries instead of just installing one that would bring it up to 9 bars, but whether or how long that will continue is unknown.

Thanks for the help! With my leaf spy, I'll be able to know more about the health of the battery. What specifics should I be looking for?

bigbearballs said:
Thanks for the help! With my leaf spy, I'll be able to know more about the health of the battery. What specifics should I be looking for?

It's all about the AHrs; you should be able to find a thread (maybe even this one) with some ranges for each bar. The "Holy Grail" 4th capacity bar drops around 42-43 AHr (on average).

bigbearballs said:
What were you mods? If the card doesn't have the SD card, how do I go about fixing that?

Found my answer...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21515&hilit=sd+card

A cheap full grille block made out of just duct tape, removal of the mud flaps, and some full moon hubcaps bought on eBay. The hubcaps were freshly put on yesterday, so I have yet to see how well they fare. The full grille block is also not a good idea for the warmer months, so I am going to take it off soon and replace it with a partial block made from something better such as chloroplast.

Ideally, the LEAF should be lowered an inch and a half, and some wheel skirts could be put on. I'm holding off on all that though, since I am most likely trading in mine for a longer range 2016 or 2017 LEAF sometime in the next year. :)

arnis said:
1 bar? Hah. First bar is 15% of capacity loss. Next bars are much less.
And if you start using in "mildly warm" Texas it is possible to get below
warranty limit before it runs out :lol:

It's a 2 bar loss, right?

Back