2013 SL heater not working...again

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xeon, Hopefully this makes you feel better...when I got my car back from the fix, the center vent was consistently blowing 134degrees..prior to the fix, it was blowing below 60 at times. I would love to hear back on how long it took to get fixed. best of luck, and stay warm!!!!

XeonPony said:
Berlino said:
Sorry about that, XeonPony.

It's hard for most to appreciate how much your payments are, since 99% of us benefited from a sizable government rebate on the LEAF.

Hope your heat is fixed or you reach another resolution soon.

ty, not fun driving to work at -25c with no preheat, and to see you have to have the fan going the whole time ensuring the car stays good and frigid.

if it was not for the seat and wheel heaters I'd phone up work and quite till the car was fixed! (And I have some good warm blankets in the car)

Just an update, my car's heater was fixed satisfactorily about 1 week after I dropped it off. The service advisor said it was the HVAC blower unit, and that the dash had to be disassembled in order to replace the unit.

I'm hoping I don't have to go through it again in the future.

thanks for the update, erichz...I'm sure this is an issue Nissan will have worked out in short order. Tomorrow is a big day. My first "surrender" in almost 30 years of driving and buying cars. Happens at 9am via a 3rd party Nissan uses called Morley VSPC. Spent half the day cleaning the car...it only has 9k miles on it, the car looks like the day I got it. thanks again for keeping us posted.

erichz said:
Just an update, my car's heater was fixed satisfactorily about 1 week after I dropped it off. The service advisor said it was the HVAC blower unit, and that the dash had to be disassembled in order to replace the unit.

I'm hoping I don't have to go through it again in the future.

TomT said:
Since it is the law and they have no choice in the matter, I'd hardly say that "gracious " applies...

6yearstilbreakeven said:
well, Nissan USA has very graciously agreed to "repurchase" our 2013 Nissan Leaf under the Georgia Lemon Law.

I had a Lemon Honda (transmission) a few years back. Honda was 100% in violation of the Lemon Law, and they made me fight for it. In the end, they paid legal fees and the cost of the car. Most car companies fight the lemon claims just to send a message that the process is hard, to discourage others considering using the law. They have a legal choice to reject any lemon claim.

Thank you for your information.

Anyone know anything about my other questions?
(Just to save you time, here it is again:)

All of this about heating problems makes me worry. I live in Montreal, as in "very cold and snowy". I am waiting for my Leaf SV 2014 to arrive in a few weeks. The last thing I need is heating problems! My leaf will be spending its time outside, as I don't have a garage. Does anyone know if this problem has been taken care of for MY2014?
Also... I read on some post about problems with Carwings not working. I really need to heat up the car with my iPhone app in advance. Especially when it's -18C outside. Any news on that front? Has Nissan improved their server, or is it unreliable?
Any other Montreal Leaf owners around? How does the car handle in our snow storms and snow banks that the plows leave around for a week after the storm, having to plow into these huge mounds of snow just to park on a side street?

Mmen said:
One more thing. Does the salt accumulation under the car effect the electronics? Is it safe to have Metropolitain Rust-Proofing do their thing to protect the car so it will last the 14 years I expect to get from my Leaf? I know that the doors are aluminum, but the underbody must be subject to rust given enough salt.
Thank you all for any info you can give me.

Most of the bottom of the car is sealed. The electronics are pretty safe.

Nissan Canada doesn't recommend rust-proofing, and has even stated that it can lead to your guarantee being canceled.

Thread bump because I also have a 2013 SL with PTC heater problems.

My heater works like this-- The heat pump operates as it should, but no ptc heater... and no preheat, no heat with front defrost pushed, lukewarm 55*-60* heat thru vents

My local Nissan dealer diagnosed to replace the ptc heater.

Yesterday I got this to happen:
eMKSO6C.png

This screenshot was taken when I was charging on level 2 and it was colder outside, -4*F. The PTC heater went on. The PTC heater was hot and worked as it should. Earlier that night was so cold the heat pump would not turn on.

I couldn't get the PTC heater to come on today when it was 7*F. It just ran the heat pump:
476Hxpk.png

How do I tell ptc heater to turn on? Do you have any other advice?

There is a TSB that applies to '13 and '14 Leafs at https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_links.php?s=&catid=783&filter=&sort=d&page=1&pp=10&keyid=452.
NTB14-001b
-REVISED-
2013-2014 NISSAN LEAF; INSUFFICIENT HEATER OUTPUT
The vehicle has insufficient heat based on the heater specifications.

We just recently had the heater go out in our 2013 SL as well. We have about 53,000 miles on it. They had to replace the whole heater unit just like everybody else posting here. We purchased the extended warranty so thankfully it was all covered. That has been the only problem we have had so far.

I tested mine a couple weeks ago, as I was concerned the heater had stopped working. It seems okay, and pre-heat gets the vehicle nice and warm. I also purchased the extended warranty, due to the possibility of issues like this.

Back