2013 SL, delivered with flat tire and non-working Carwings.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

After a long week of baloney after signing the paperwork, we finally got the car last night. The dealer met me halfway (dealership is 50 miles from my house) with the car. As I drive away the car is pulling to the left. Literally 30 seconds later, the lights go on alerting me to a flat tire. I put some air in at a gas station and get home, and I see a massive screw right in the middle of the tread. Also, Carwings won't connect no how, no way. Says "No Service" even though I tried it at ten different spots throughout a metro area. So it's RIGHT back to the dealer tomorrow morning, sigh.

I've read that the carwings issue is common and they'll need to reset the TCU. Annoying. I've had the car 8 hours and it needs to go right back to the dealer.

Regarding the tire - should I demand a brand new tire instead of a patch? I'm annoyed that the dealer either rushed through or completely neglected the pre-sale port inspection and setup in order to rush the car to me before it was ready.

It's quite possible - likely even - that the screw was picked up in the drive to you in which case, it is hard to blame the dealer... However, I'd ask for a new tire as a goodwill gesture regardless.

wantonsoup said:
Regarding the tire - should I demand a brand new tire instead of a patch? I'm annoyed that the dealer either rushed through or completely neglected the pre-sale port inspection and setup in order to rush the car to me before it was ready.

TomT said:
It's quite possible - likely even - that the screw was picked up in the drive to you in which case, it is hard to blame the dealer...

Yup - or even something you ran over just after you pulled out.

While it is a bummer to have a brand spanking new tire and get a screw in it, the plugs do seem to be a permanent fix. The Mrs has somehow managed to do this TWICE - nail through a tire less then a week old.

Inner patch, not a plug, followed by a rebalancing of the tire.. or even better a combination patch/plug in one unit.

dont take a patch.
i had an ecopia patched and that lasted for a month. i ended up buying a new tire cause once fixed and failed, no can fix again.

Trying to get it in this morning, they've already offered a patch and I'll see if I can't get them to do a new tire. I figure that if they patch it, and it fails in the next 120 days, I'll go back and make them resolve it.

Sorry to hear that man. I also just got a new SL with a non-funtional carwings. Called them up and they said I need to take it straight back. Kinda frustrating. It'd be nicer if they had a test account they could use to verify that it was functional before people take delivery. That's gotta be more efficient for them.

Dave

They put a patch on the tire and told me that the telematic TCU wasn't even activated. Less than an hour in service to resolve. Annoying, but I got a free charge on their station while it was being worked on :) That's worth a few pennies at least.

wantonsoup said:
They put a patch on the tire and told me that the telematic TCU wasn't even activated. Less than an hour in service to resolve. Annoying, but I got a free charge on their station while it was being worked on :) That's worth a few pennies at least.

Re: the TCU not activated. That makes sense - the problems with TCU reset (which I had with my 2011) shouldn't be an issue with 2013's.

Which dealer did you buy from, if I may ask?

I just got a flat tire in the LEAF on the sidewall and it was too big for the goop to fix it, so I didn't try. My local tire place won't touch an EV, even to fix a tire. So I had to have car towed to the dealer. I've been driving for 40 years and have never had to be towed for a flat tire. I'm thinking I'd like a spare. The weight may use more energy, but what about the energy of the tow truck. This idea that cars shouldn't have spares is crazy to me.

My local tire place won't touch an EV, even to fix a tire

Often times I've removed the wheel myself and taken the tire to the tire store. I wonder if they didn't know that it came off of an EV if that would make a difference. I don't know why they would refuse to fix the tire. They certainly must have worked on other tires that have sensors attached to the wheel. I also believe that some other posters have changed all four tires to another brand. I suspect that they didn't have to go to the dealer to do that.

ksnogas2112 said:
Susan43209 said:
This idea that cars shouldn't have spares is crazy to me.

But at the same time I haven't had a flat on any of the last 5 cars that did have spare tires.
Really? My LEAF is the only car I've owned that hasn't had flat tires. Yet...

Around here I think the drastic drop in house construction since the collapse of the housing market in 2008 has led to fewer flats from dropped nails and screws.

I wouldn't mind finding a wheel/tire, donut size, that I can keep in my garage (and throw in my trunk if I'm travelling long distance), and grab with my 2nd car just in case, just to get the LEAF off the side of the road ASAP.

Has anyone tried locating a donut for this car?

As for the OP, I had my tire go flat because of a drill bit within 30 minutes of buying my SUV several years ago. Dealer replaced the tire, so I guess it really depends on how nice & big the dealer is. They have been pretty good to me, so I went back for my next car because of that gesture.

I remember right when we got our hybrid (RX400h) watching the kid trying to drive it back off the ramp, he had no idea how to start it, engage reverse, etc. I had to go into the back and shout instructions to him.

lion said:
I wouldn't mind finding a wheel/tire, donut size, that I can keep in my garage (and throw in my trunk if I'm travelling long distance), and grab with my 2nd car just in case, just to get the LEAF off the side of the road ASAP.

Has anyone tried locating a donut for this car?

As for the OP, I had my tire go flat because of a drill bit within 30 minutes of buying my SUV several years ago. Dealer replaced the tire, so I guess it really depends on how nice & big the dealer is. They have been pretty good to me, so I went back for my next car because of that gesture.
Go to "search" for Leaf spare tire. There are lots of posts regarding a spare tire for the Leaf. The Nissan Altima emergency spare works perfectly. I mounted mine under the trunk with a mounting hanger I made myself for less than $10. You can't even see it under there unless you put your head underneath the rear of the car.

In 25 years of driving I've had at least 10 flats, 3 times the tires were blown out and destroyed. The first time in the leaf happened last weekend.

This thread shows how I installed a Spare Tire in my LEAF without losing any trunk space.

http://tinyurl.com/mhbds49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glad to see another Colorado Leaf owner :D

I've never had tire problems until these last 2 years.

First with my Prius (just prior to getting my Leaf) I got a flat, a nail in the tire.

2 weeks later (still in my Prius) I ran over some concreate patching - the tar they put on cracks. Had to get the tire cleaned.

About 6 months later - in my Leaf - at the last minute I see a black clump on the street as I'm driving at 55 mph. Swerve to avoid it - turning left - and the black clump drives into the side of my tire full force and I'm assuming the black clump was ejected off to the right of the car causing no more damage. The wheel is destroyed and it actually bent the axel! (I'm thinking it was some cement that fell out of a dump truck, lot of road construction at the time)

Just this Saturday I was pulling out of a shopping center and my tire was flat! Small cut in the side of the tire - i did nick the tire pulling into the parking spot. I patched it and added air. There was a small hiss but I was 2 miles from Big O so I decided to risk it. Long story short the patch didn't last and I lost the tire. No other damage though...

Oh life how unexpected you are!

All in all I love my Leaf and hope to God that I never have to own another ICE vehicle in my life.

P.S. I just realized.... all the problems - save the tar - were on the passenger front tire :lol:

Back