2013 Sept. Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 1953 Volt 1766

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

The final numbers are in. Thanks to insidevs.com.

Monthly-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins-table.png

They started making the 2014 in early August. It has been over 1.5 months since the restart, and inventory continues to go DOWN. It was above 5,100 at the beginning of the month, is nearly 4,200. It has been taking about 30 days to get the pipeline going, and since we are well beyond that and have not seen inventory going up, that indicates to me that supply is not meeting demand with the new price structure. The coming month could see the Volt nearing 4,000 units sold.

CarZin said:
They started making the 2014 in early August. It has been over 1.5 months since the restart, and inventory continues to go DOWN. It was above 5,100 at the beginning of the month, is nearly 4,200.
Need to look at the numbers by year.
2013 inventory end of August was 4750, now its 2860. Down 1890. So they've sold at least that many. 75% of the month passed, so figure another 25% sales = 2520 of the prior year.
2014 inventory end of August was 880, now its 1200, up 320.

I'd guess they'd sell more 2013s than 2014s because they're motivated to move them.

I'm guessing 3000-4000. Put me down for 3500.

Leaf, I haven't heard any dramatic news other than Edmunds saying shopping interest is up 120%. I don't see how they can sell much more than they have because they're not making them fast enough and haven't sped up the factory.

Leaf: 2200

Spark: inventory suggests no broader rollout. Fairly safe bet around 103.

dm33 said:
I'd guess they'd sell more 2013s than 2014s because they're motivated to move them.

I'm guessing 3000-4000. Put me down for 3500.
How about half of that ?

LEAF 1953 - still inventory, but we found out more is finally coming in November

Nissan LEAF Sales Stay Strong in September; More Production Coming In November
http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-sales-stay-strong-in-september-2013-increased-production-coming-in-november/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Volt 1766
Spark EV 78

Just talked to the Toyota rep - 167 on RAV 4 EV

other stuff below

1152 on Prius
20 on I-MiEV
35 - fit ev
51 - accord phev
50* - fiat 500e (estimate)

More still coming, monthly sales scorecard is up (wil be updated in real time as numbers roll-in):
http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am disappointed with the Volt and Leaf numbers. I thought the 5k discount and the increase in Leaf production was gonna lead to another 2-3k sales in Sept for both models.

Ian B

smkettner said:
I can't see much for LEAF to increase sales until Nissan installs the 120 mile lizard battery.
Maybe next summer.
A friend of mine said he wants to get a Leaf, but he really wants to buy, not lease. I told him about the heat resistant battery that is expected in April so he's certainly not making any sudden moves. Whether or not there are a significant number of buyers out there aware of this impacting sales is dubious. More likely Nissan is limiting production until they can get this fix out there; they don't need any bigger a warranty/customer sat issue than they have already.

Finally got the numbers from pokie-joe Ford...and they are the only OEM who actually had a pretty good month (relatively speaking)

C-Max Energi 758 (2013 high)
Fusion Energi 750 (all-time/2013 high)
Focus Electric 110

Ive got smart too, but I like to sit on one metric each month so that all the guys that take our data uncredited have to keep checking back before they can finish,. It's a en evil game, but I enjoy it, (= (I'll put it up soon though)

Nissan indicated that the heat resistant batteries MAY go in all Leafs at some point but likely not initially... Reading between the lines, initially they will be used to replace batteries under warranty in hot climates, then as original fitment to cars destined for hot climates, and then, finally, in all cars... So, assuming that the battery is even ready by April - which is not a given - there may be a longer wait to get one in a new vehicle... Point being, I wouldn't plan on it.

LTLFTcomposite said:
A friend of mine said he wants to get a Leaf, but he really wants to buy, not lease. I told him about the heat resistant battery that is expected in April so he's certainly not making any sudden moves.

TomT said:
Nissan indicated that the heat resistant batteries MAY go in all Leafs at some point but likely not initially... Reading between the lines, initially they will be used to replace batteries under warranty in hot climates, then as original fitment to cars destined for hot climates, and then, finally, in all cars... So, assuming that the battery is even ready by April - which is not a given - there may be a longer wait to get one in a new vehicle... Point being, I wouldn't plan on it.
I know they said that, but it seems like a logistical nightmare if they do. I guess if the cost differential is substantial, it might be worth their effort. We'll see.

When Nissan announces the new LEAF has a 120 mile heat resistant battery and longer life..... that is when sales may start picking up.
Unfortunately that could be 2015 model year.

No argument there, but it wouldn't be the first time that Nissan had done something seemingly irrational... I was told that the high temp battery is "slightly more expensive" so it would not seem that cost is a significant factor. Yield is more likely.

RegGuheert said:
I know they said that, but it seems like a logistical nightmare if they do. I guess if the cost differential is substantial, it might be worth their effort. We'll see.

Back