2013 Nov Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 2003, Volt 1920

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dm33 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
... and virtually an empty lot (for LEAFs) in Feb until the new models arrive.
Unless the 2014s arrive in December as Nissan has previously stated.

well this is coming from the sales manager who states cars will start being built in Dec and none of those 2014's are scheduled to be on the dealer lots in 2013 so a December purchase appears to not be in the cards.

have to think this is a bit of stretch and he is a salesman so could be saying that to get rid of the 2013's. he also said that lease deals were going up in 2014 so i take everything he says with a grain of salt.

my take is that it takes a few hours to build a car so there should be some ready to ship on day one. suppose it takes 3-4 days to get a shipment together.

then its picked up by rail most likely and taken somewhere to be distributed. add a week on the rails, week in storage in a holding yard somewhere then 2 days on a truck. hard to believe that it would take that long but we are in the far corner of the lot in a manner of speaking but

if his volume is as high as he claims, then seems to me that he would be high priority for the first batch of 2014's.

Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed in the number of electric-drive vehicles that are selling in some volumes. The entire list includes the LEAF, Volt, Model S, The PHEV Fords and the PiP. I guess that does give consumers SOME level of choice, but not a lot.

So, what "meant-for-volume" vehicles will be added into this thread next year? i3 and i3-REx. What else? Audi A3 e-Tron? e-Golf is 2015, right?

RegGuheert said:
So, what "meant-for-volume" vehicles will be added into this thread next year? i3 and i3-REx. What else? Audi A3 e-Tron? e-Golf is 2015, right?
Yes, only volume vehicle will be the i3. Don't know how much the Merc Class B will sell, given no QC. Even i3, after the initial sales, I'm not sure will sell all that well (given new information about REx).

In 2015, we will have Model X and Outlander PHEV - likely large volume vehicles.

evnow said:
RegGuheert said:
Yes, only volume vehicle will be the i3. Don't know how much the Merc Class B will sell, given no QC. Even i3, after the initial sales, I'm not sure will sell all that well (given new information about REx).

In 2015, we will have Model X and Outlander PHEV - likely large volume vehicles.
I doubt the Merc B-Class and Outlander PHEV will sell in very large numbers.

Mitsubishi doesn't sell many vehicles in the US (http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/03/november-2013-gobble-gobble-edition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The ICE Outlander doesn't sell in large numbers either (http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/01/2012-usa-auto-sales-rankings-by-model7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

BMW and Mercedes don't sell many vehicles in the US either but at least BMW way more serious w/EVs than Merc.

cwerdna said:

Mitsubishi doesn't sell many vehicles in the US (http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/03/november-2013-gobble-gobble-edition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The ICE Outlander doesn't sell in large numbers either (http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/01/2012-usa-auto-sales-rankings-by-model7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

BMW and Mercedes don't sell many vehicles in the US either but at least BMW way more serious w/EVs than Merc.
Outlander will surely sell in large numbers - given that it will be the only PHEV SUV. I won't be surprised if it outsells Volt & Leaf.

While BMW & Merc don't sell that many - they still sell a large number of vehicles (300k per year each). Besides, they may have a fairly large marketshare among the likely well to do buyers. 1k per month is a fairly small number in the larger context - but is a significant number in the small plugin market.

Looks like the Ford figures are in:

Focus EV - 130
Cmax Energi - 941
Fusion Energi - 870

In total Ford sold 1941 plug in vehicles, which is not bad. Looks like they took a small decline for November as well, but the numbers are still strong compared to previous months.

This seems to be a continual theme that Ford sells nearly 14 times as many PHEVs as they sell BEV. I suspect this will be a trend among all auto makers in the next few years.

All but Smart numbers are in. 12% down from last month, but 26% up from last year.

For 2013, 95% up over 2012. We will probably end up doubling last year's numbers - but shy of 100k.

Monthly-Plugins.png

cwerdna said:
evnow said:
RegGuheert said:

it all comes down to price. if the Outlander is priced well with other cars in its class, it will sell. the package is good although I feel they would have done better with a slightly smaller vehicle to drive the price even lower but it should do well if the price is reasonable

DaveinOlyWA said:
the top dealer in the Pacific Northwest (he claims he is #1 in the country...but he is a car salesman after all) says they are getting 80 cars and that is all that is available until the 2014's are out and that could be 8-12 weeks which means close to normal sales for December 30-50% of normal for Jan and virtually an empty lot (for LEAFs) in Feb until the new models arrive.

Well, if that happens, come on down to Eugene, OR. Our local dealer (Lithia Nissan) still has 30 Leafs on the lot, and they don't seem to be moving very quickly.

Rounding it out - smart ed 153

...also of interest: Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid at 4 for November (they sold 35 apparently the last couple days of October) for 39 total YTD (we didn't get any official numbers from Porsche on October until now)

Next year we are probably going to have an "other" category...the chart is getting too darn big

Statik said:

...also of interest: Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid at 4 for November (they sold 35 apparently the last couple days of October) for 39 total YTD (we didn't get any official numbers from Porsche on October until now)
Thanks. I hadn't paid attention to the Porsche at all.

Next year we are probably going to have an "other" category...the chart is getting too darn big
Or split BEV & PHEV.

All the numbers are now in. Porsche Plugin is the new one added for this month. Thanks to insideevs.com.

Totals are 12% down from last month, but 29% up from last year.

For 2013, 96% up over 2012. We will probably end up doubling last year's numbers - but shy of 100k.

Monthly-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins-table.png

evnow said:
Statik said:

Thanks. I hadn't paid attention to the Porsche at all.

Or split BEV & PHEV.

i would not have combined the two to begin with but also need a cut off. I would say "at least 100 a month on a consistent basis to have your own line item with "other" taking in all the stragglers or some figure.

when I think about it; 100 a month is a pretty lofty goal for a lot of the compliance cars... :shock:

DaveinOlyWA said:
...I would say "at least 100 a month on a consistent basis to have your own line item with "other" taking in all the stragglers or some figure...
Probably should be a moving target as EVs proliferate. Perhaps a higher number for hybrids.

DanCar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
...I would say "at least 100 a month on a consistent basis to have your own line item with "other" taking in all the stragglers or some figure...
Probably should be a moving target as EVs proliferate. Perhaps a higher number for hybrids.

adjustments can be made as the climate changes. after all, i expect the Focus to drop below the 100 unit mark... (just kidding ;) )

It is interesting to note that last year PHEVs outsold BEVs by over 3:1 while this year they have just barely outsold them (1:1). That seems like a very big shift to me. I wonder what is behind it. Perhaps it is due to some who need the additional range purchasing the Tesla Model S? Or just the halo effect of Tesla in general? Or perhaps so many LEAFs being seen on the roads?

Thoughts?

RegGuheert said:
... I wonder what is behind it...
Yes, huge shift. Add to the list of reasons is that Nissan dropped the price. A car without a gas engine is cheaper than one with one, everything else being the same. For example the Mitsubishi SUV. If they had the option to drop the gas engine and just be pure BEV, I would probably prefer it.

Back