2013 Nissan Leaf Lease - March offer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vsaphill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
bruce27513 said:
Lease miles don't matter is you are going to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease or trade for another Nissan.

really?

Yes really http://green.autoblog.com/2013/03/07/2011-2012-leaf-buyers-1000-loyalty-cash-nissan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm confused, how does that help? Are you claiming that if someone goes way over their allotted mileage on a lease that somehow this cancels overage charges?

If you are buying another car, potentially you can negotiate that overage be cancelled. But the dealer will be charging more somewhere else. It is like getting a good deal on the trade in - but not so great on the new car.

I am in downtown Phoenix and work in Tempe (local suburb). I commute by rail most days, so the LEAF will be a non-commuting vehicle.

Also, thanks for your concern Ian, but I'd rather have a lower monthly payment so that I'm hedging against future unknowns. I am fine with putting down a bit more to pay off taxes / title etc -- which shouldn't be financed in anyways. Then I am purely paying a monthly payment for the vehicle and not other stuff. That is my plan.

Compared to what I was paying on my Gen II Prius + gas + insurance, I am cutting my monthly cost of 'ownership' by at least 1/3 and that is on-track with what my plan has been.

This has been a long-range plan of mine. I started early last summer to get my apt complex in touch with Ecotality to get chargers installed, and they were just put in last month and are now activated. It's the first major apartment complex in Metro Phoenix to have EV charging stations for the public and also dedicated for resident use. I sold my Prius in the fall and have been using bike + mass transit + Zipcar to get around town (which, in Phoenix, can be a challenge at times). I have been putting money aside and doing much planning for the transition to an EV - a kind of car that I've wanted to drive even before I could legally drive.

Looking forward to counting down the days until LEAF delivery!

--Joe

nidocamen said:
I am in downtown Phoenix and work in Tempe (local suburb). I commute by rail most days, so the LEAF will be a non-commuting vehicle.
I started early last summer to get my apt complex in touch with Ecotality to get chargers installed, and they were just put in last month and are now activated. It's the first major apartment complex in Metro Phoenix to have EV charging stations for the public and also dedicated for resident use.
Hmmm... you didn't answer my questions. You are wise to lease given your hot climate, but even that might be a mistake given the battery degradation that Phoenicians saw during their 2nd hot summer. If you're not going to commute w/it, you might find it might not meet your needs in terms of range, esp. after degradation.

As for Ecotality, LOL! If they're public stations where people pay, good luck w/that (due to Blink network unreliability). If you you're getting the 6.6 kW charger equipped Leaf, hope they're putting on better J1772 handles...

nidocamen said:

Also, thanks for your concern Ian, but I'd rather have a lower monthly payment so that I'm hedging against future unknowns. I am fine with putting down a bit more to pay off taxes / title etc -- which shouldn't be financed in anyways. Then I am purely paying a monthly payment for the vehicle and not other stuff. That is my plan.

Compared to what I was paying on my Gen II Prius + gas + insurance, I am cutting my monthly cost of 'ownership' by at least 1/3 and that is on-track with what my plan has been.

This has been a long-range plan of mine. I started early last summer to get my apt complex in touch with Ecotality to get chargers installed, and they were just put in last month and are now activated. It's the first major apartment complex in Metro Phoenix to have EV charging stations for the public and also dedicated for resident use. I sold my Prius in the fall and have been using bike + mass transit + Zipcar to get around town (which, in Phoenix, can be a challenge at times). I have been putting money aside and doing much planning for the transition to an EV - a kind of car that I've wanted to drive even before I could legally drive.

Looking forward to counting down the days until LEAF delivery!

--Joe

Glad you have it all worked out Joe. Just wanted to give you any information along w everyone else here before you make a decision. You will love this car and will find any excuse to drive more than you planned. Let us know the outcome and post a pix of the new family member once you get it.

Ian B

cwerdna said:
nidocamen said:
I started early last summer to get my apt complex in touch with Ecotality to get chargers installed, and they were just put in last month and are now activated. It's the first major apartment complex in Metro Phoenix to have EV charging stations for the public and also dedicated for resident use.
As for Ecotality, LOL! If they're public stations where people pay, good luck w/that (due to Blink network unreliability). If you you're getting the 6.6 kW charger equipped Leaf, hope they're putting on better J1772 handles...
BTW, for background on what I'm talking about re: Blink's J1772 handles (unrelated to network unreliability), see http://www.plugincars.com/honda-fit-ev-overheats-blink-charger-126246.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, http://www.longtailpipe.com/2013/02/blink-j1772-charging-connectors-are.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, for starters.

vsaphill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
bruce27513 said:
Lease miles don't matter is you are going to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease or trade for another Nissan.

really?

Yes really http://green.autoblog.com/2013/03/07/2011-2012-leaf-buyers-1000-loyalty-cash-nissan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh ok was referring to the lease miles. didnt see a mention of that although i thought the loyalty program was for LEAFs only

Hmm, I thought I did. But oh well... Technically, my commute is 22 miles round-trip. And you do know that Nissan added a special warranty add-on for the LEAF battery in terms of capacity decline, right? After my 3-year lease is up, I can turn the vehicle in and be done with it. If there does happen to be serious battery degradation (to Nissan's terms) during the 3-year lease (same length as the new battery warranty), they will replace the battery or the bad cells. I think it's a win-win situation.

And, in terms of the Blink chargers. I did rent a LEAF for 3 days in August (one of our hottest months) and even tried charging in broad daylight and experienced no problems with the Blink public charging stations. No, that's not a lot of proof or usage, but that was my experience.

I do not want to sound naive by saying this, but I cannot imagine that Nissan would release the 2013 model with the available 6.6kW on-board charger and not have done some testing with the various chargers that exist on the market. Especially the public ones that are already installed en masse in the original LEAF 'launch cities'. If they have a lot of J1772 handles that melt under the additional electric current, then both Blink (possibly others) and Nissan will have a huge PR nightmare on their hands, which I doubt they want after the battery PR debacle.

Want to know anything else?

cwerdna said:
nidocamen said:
Hmmm... you didn't answer my questions. You are wise to lease given your hot climate, but even that might be a mistake given the battery degradation that Phoenicians saw during their 2nd hot summer. If you're not going to commute w/it, you might find it might not meet your needs in terms of range, esp. after degradation.

nidocamen said:
Hmm, I thought I did. But oh well... Technically, my commute is 22 miles round-trip. And you do know that Nissan added a special warranty add-on for the LEAF battery in terms of capacity decline, right? After my 3-year lease is up, I can turn the vehicle in and be done with it. If there does happen to be serious battery degradation (to Nissan's terms) during the 3-year lease (same length as the new battery warranty), they will replace the battery or the bad cells. I think it's a win-win situation.

And, in terms of the Blink chargers. I did rent a LEAF for 3 days in August (one of our hottest months) and even tried charging in broad daylight and experienced no problems with the Blink public charging stations. No, that's not a lot of proof or usage, but that was my experience.

I do not want to sound naive by saying this, but I cannot imagine that Nissan would release the 2013 model with the available 6.6kW on-board charger and not have done some testing with the various chargers that exist on the market. Especially the public ones that are already installed en masse in the original LEAF 'launch cities'. If they have a lot of J1772 handles that melt under the additional electric current, then both Blink (possibly others) and Nissan will have a huge PR nightmare on their hands, which I doubt they want after the battery PR debacle.
Ok, for 22 miles round-trip, the Leaf should be no prob within 3 years. Yes, I know about the announced capacity warranty (see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11043" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). By "serious degradation", it'd be below 70% of original capacity. A # of folks lost less than that but found their cars became unusable for their trips or were concerned about the rapid loss and had to fight very hard to get Nissan to do something (e.g. getting local TV involved). Some have succeeded in getting their cars bought back. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was a summary, in case you don't want to read the 534 page thread.

As for Blink and rent in August, well, NO '11-'12 Leafs had a 6.6 kW onboard charger. It was NOT a '13 Leaf as they weren't shipping yet. There's no issue w/the Blink EVSEs w/bad crimps in their Rema handles overheating when charging at lower amperage. I don't think all of them are bad. http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; got his replaced. IIRC, he was one of the folks who finally succeeded in getting Nissan to buyback his Leaf.

I'm unclear if the '13 Leafs have any sort of thermal monitoring at the J1772 inlet, like the Fit EV, to prevent overheating and melting of the connector..

I am new to this forum, but test drove my first Leaf yesterday in Elk Grove, CA near Sacramento. They had a few lease deals but not like the $99 one from Boardwalk. Will other dealerships honor that lease? The deal I saw was $230 on a 2012 SL with 2700 down or 199 a month on 2013 S with 3000 down at Elk Grove. Thanks.

I spend $200 a month on gas commuting right now so the lease on the Leaf is attractive.

Thanks.

spikemd said:
I am new to this forum, but test drove my first Leaf yesterday in Elk Grove, CA near Sacramento. They had a few lease deals but not like the $99 one from Boardwalk. Will other dealerships honor that lease? The deal I saw was $230 on a 2012 SL with 2700 down or 199 a month on 2013 S with 3000 down at Elk Grove. Thanks.

I spend $200 a month on gas commuting right now so the lease on the Leaf is attractive.

Thanks.

If they don't match, walk away. Another dealer will.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Ian B

spikemd said:
The deal I saw was $230 on a 2012 SL with 2700 down or 199 a month on 2013 S with 3000 down at Elk Grove.

The part that is bolded...is that before or after taxes? If it's before taxes, walk away, taxes will add another $1500 to that if you want to keep the payments the same. The official Nissan $199/month deal is $1999 drive off plus taxes, license, fees.

Unless you need the faster on-board charger for 240v, the 2012 SL may be the better bargain, as you get the Quick Charge port, backup camera, auto off/on headlights, and built-in Nav with CarWings (3 year subscription included), especially if $2700 is true drive off and there are no other taxes due.

If you are interested in the $2500 CA EV rebate (just infused with additional cash), make sure these leases are for 3 years, as one of the requirements for this rebate is that you purchase or lease the car and keep it for at least 3 years.

I agree with the above post...shop around.

Back