2013 May sales inhibited due to lack of stock for S model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Count me as another vote for rotary-knob HVAC controls (slide controls also work), preferably with full manual control, and a push on/off/rotate volume control for the radio. GPS/Carwings etc. I can do without, but I dislike the unavailability of cruise control and especially B mode and the heat pump on the S, which might force me (if a Leaf otherwise worked for me) to opt for an SV instead.
I'm with you, Guy. After two years putting up with the "high tech" stuff I'm very happy with real spin rings for radio frequency and volume, climate temperature and fan speed. Yes, I'd like to have cruise control back, but I'm learning to control my speed better, at least in ECO. Fortunately the car now remembers that, and I'm always in ECO without having to "double shift". I'll probably wish for the heat pump next winter, but at least I now have the seat warmers, which I didn't have before. And it doesn't really get all that cold here.

Ray

ILETRIC said:
Enjoying the 30 clicks going from 60 to 90 degrees and back?
Or you hire? :p (i.e.farm it out to the front passenger)

I'd say its a pretty rare thing that I change the temperature more than 2-3 degrees during any given drive. And in most cases I prefer not to use climate control at all. It stays off 80% of the time.

No one here in Chicago has a 2013 S available -- no one. Closest dealer is hundreds of miles away.

And still, not a single 'factory certified' used model available either.

:(

adric22 said:
ILETRIC said:
Enjoying the 30 clicks going from 60 to 90 degrees and back?
Or you hire? :p (i.e.farm it out to the front passenger)
I'd say its a pretty rare thing that I change the temperature more than 2-3 degrees during any given drive. And in most cases I prefer not to use climate control at all. It stays off 80% of the time.
I know exactly what ILECTRIC is talking about. In my 2011 I would often crank it [chug, chug, chug, chug] down to 60 to get some air blowing without the heater coming on, or up to 90 to defeat the air conditioner. I'm hoping that I can really control my 2013 S manually, the way it appears I'll be able to, but the weather has been too nice to give it a real test.

Ray

I think it's a bad case of innovation for the sake of innovation. Yahoo is about to change their email page. The old one works just dandy. Nothing wrong with it. Nothing at all. I have 4 accounts and converted one one of them to "the new" look just to find out.

It's beyond awful. It's dreadful. I'm schnooked.

All American companies have this disease: once they have a good product going with all the bugs worked out and people are buying it and are happy with it -- they change it.

So now we have the dumb clickers. All facing in the same direction to boot. How stupid is that, Nissan?!

Honda had a perfect 4 o'clock cruise control buttons position (92 Accord). Where is it now? I don't even wanna know. But I know it ain't where it used to be. My 2008 CRV has it roughly in the Leaf spot, and it's flush with the steering wheel plane. Who are the ergonomics experts advising these people how to design and place these things? Where is the Japanese fahrvergnügen?

Innovation? No, idiocy.

One quick note. The website of the dealers & cars.com etc are not upto date.

Apparently the cars show up in these sites when Nissan invoices the dealer - and they are late in invoicing for some reason. My dealer showed 7 Leafs when I called - they had dozens (they had just got 3 truck loads of Leafs). However, I didn't ask how many S's they had - I happen to see one, though.

There is one "S" trim level car available near me right now. When I leased mine in March there were 5 or 6 available. Then again there were a dozen or so Leafs available and now there are only three.

There are 8 Nissan dealerships within 50 miles of me (Cincinnati, OH area). Combined at these 8 dealerships, there are 0 S models, 2 SVs, and 6 SLs.

blueblob06 said:
There are 8 Nissan dealerships within 50 miles of me (Cincinnati, OH area). Combined at these 8 dealerships, there are 0 S models, 2 SVs, and 6 SLs.
So an average of one Leaf per dealer? Do all the dealers carry the Leaf?

Stoaty said:
blueblob06 said:
So an average of one Leaf per dealer? Do all the dealers carry the Leaf?
Pretty sad, isn't it?

3 of the dealerships had 0 Leafs. I believe I've seen Leafs listed at all 8 of them in the past so yep, I believe they usually carry it.

SW Ohio is way behind the times in the EV world so I don't know if the local dealerships are just getting sent less Leafs or what. Who knows, maybe people are actually buying them in Cincinnati now; I'm not optimistic though. (Last year, one of the Nissan dealers in Cincy told me he sold 9 Leafs for the entire year.)

http://www.opb.org/news/article/npr-nissan-electric-car-sales-booming-in-pacific-northwest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The automaker Nissan says sales of its fully electric Leaf compact surpassed all other Nissan models at dealers in the Seattle and Portland areas this spring.

At Nissan USA headquarters, electric vehicle marketing & sales director Erik Gottfried says he's scrambling to ship enough Leafs to meet demand in the Pacific Northwest.

A Nissan dealership in Bellevue, Washington claims it’s the No. 1 seller of electric Leafs in the nation.

The electric vehicle coordinator at Oregon's Department of Transportation says increased availability is spurring EV sales across many brands. ODOT's Ashley Horvat says having a "very robust" charging network has also helped. Oregon claims to have the most EV charging stations per capita of any state.

DanCar said:
A Nissan dealership in Bellevue, Washington claims it’s the No. 1 seller of electric Leafs in the nation.
Yes - these are the guys who sell 3x Leafs than Altimas.

Leaf is fairly ideal for NW - "good" climate & shorter distances.

Yeah, Oregon has one of the lowest electricity rates and most of it is from hydro, so they are running on rain water. :) http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/state-regs/pdf/Oregon.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And that story is even more true for Washington. Seattle gets 88% of its energy from hydro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_City_Light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a single base model S at any of the dealers around here. Most are sold before they arrive.

With in 50 miles of Boston, 6 used 2012's, 2 new 2012's, 14 new 2013's, one is an S.

In the same area there a 2,242 new Altima's to choose from.

This issue seems to have ended. At least one dealer has plenty of S models in the bay area. This coincides with Nissan saying manufacturing numbers have increased.
http://insideevs.com/nissan-predicts-leaf-sales-will-soon-rise-above-current-average-of-2000-units-per-month-in-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanCar said:
This issue seems to have ended. At least one dealer has plenty of S models in the bay area. This coincides with Nissan saying manufacturing numbers have increased.
http://insideevs.com/nissan-predicts-leaf-sales-will-soon-rise-above-current-average-of-2000-units-per-month-in-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've suddenly noticed relatively lots of stock in my area. They must just have received a large shipment. They were almost completely sold out earlier this month. I've added up the totals for my metro area.

• Total: 69
  • S: 4
  • SV: 36
  • SL: 29

So it looks like in this area, S is still quite rare. I tried to lease an S last month and used its lack of availability as leverage to get an ever better deal on an SV.

The S looks like a very nice configuration. I actually miss having the rear camera in the SV. My wife wanted cruise control, I didn't really care. The heat pump should come in handy for us so I won't complain especially after the deal we got. Very happy with the car.

Back