2013 LEAF Specs, Pricing, Options Released In Japan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
TomT said:
It might now be integrated with the drive electronics.

MikeD said:
where is the new charger? I don't see it.
Yup, it's the square thing on the top. The DC-DC inverter is in the middle, and the motor is at the bottom.

TWZcHC

I'm going with DC/DC and charger integrated on the top box, and the AC/DC inverter below that.

Nubo said:
richard said:
Long-life mode (where the battery is charged to 80% to extend the battery life), now available in any charging mode
Not sure I understand this, because I'm not sure what Nissan considers a "charging mode". Currently, we have two timers available, and either can be applied to a particular weekday.
I'm hoping that it means you can charge-override "to 80%". This would be useful for times you'd like to top off outside of your normal timers, but not to 100%. Or, conversely, step-down a programmed 100% charge in progress, to 80%
I'm thinking that it might mean percentage of charge is controlled completely independently from time of charge. i.e. that the timers no longer have a "long life" option, but that there is a separate setting or switch for that. My first reaction to the statement was that "any mode" referred to trickle vs. standard vs. quick charge. Since I can't imagine timers applying to quick charge, that led me to the "independent" conclusion.

Ray

TonyWilliams said:
I'm going with DC/DC and charger integrated on the top box, and the AC/DC inverter below that.
The top box says power delivery module and the middle box says inverter. So that's plausible, I didn't try to parse to that level of detail. Where is Phil when you need him? Busy looking at the new Panasonic EVSE, I'm sure :)

TomT said:
They are labled in the picture so there is no real mystery as to what is what...
TonyWilliams said:
It's clear as mud to me. The labels say "Power Delivery Module" and "Inverter". I thought an inverter was a unit that changed DC to AC. surfingslovak said "DC/DC inverter", which is not a term I have ever seen. In fact the present "inverter" does both DC to AC (battery to motor) and AC to DC (for regen). Conceptually it would make sense to combine regen with the charger.

Ray

TonyWilliams said:
It can be upgraded, however it also has a per use "time out". I don't know how many uses, but when you hit that number, it will stop working. Folks are working to crack the code as we speak.
What? Why?

There ARE some benefits to buying the first version of a product. One is that you can get it before the manufacturers engineer things to make it difficult/impossible to upgrade parts of the design.

planet4ever said:
Conceptually it would make sense to combine regen with the charger.

That's what AC Propulsion does.

However, if the whole thing is suppose to be "universal" then it doesn't explain how we're going to get 6.6kW AC charging here and not over there. Perhaps an additional charger will be on board.

I know the reasons why it might not be true, but I really hope some parts are back compatible with the '11/'12 models.

planet4ever said:
It's clear as mud to me. The labels say "Power Delivery Module" and "Inverter". I thought an inverter was a unit that changed DC to AC. surfingslovak said "DC/DC inverter", which is not a term I have ever seen. In fact the present "inverter" does both DC to AC (battery to motor) and AC to DC (for regen). Conceptually it would make sense to combine regen with the charger.
Thanks for catching that, Ray! I think I misspoke there, and you are right, it's a DC to AC inverter and DC to DC converter. At least that's what all the press articles refer to. The inverter is presumably there to supply the motor, and the DC converter to supply the 12V battery and potentially other systems? Not quite sure.

Click to open

RegGuheert said:
TonyWilliams said:
It can be upgraded, however it also has a per use "time out". I don't know how many uses, but when you hit that number, it will stop working. Folks are working to crack the code as we speak.
What? Why?

There ARE some benefits to buying the first version of a product. One is that you can get it before the manufacturers engineer things to make it difficult/impossible to upgrade parts of the design.
To ensure that it's used for "emergencies only" and not as sole mode of charging? :twisted:

JeremyW said:
I know the reasons why it might not be true, but I really hope some parts are back compatible with the '11/'12 models.
Perhaps if a crafty third party intervened. As it is, I believe that Mark Perry (remember him?) said the new charger would necessitate a new VCM, and other parts, which would get cost prohibitive.

TonyWilliams said:
Nissan USA - MSRP excludes destination and handling charges, tax, title, license, and options

--- 2012 ----- 2013 guess

SL $37,250 ---$38,750
SV $35,200 ---$36,400
S ----N/A- ---$33,990
You think Nissan is going to increase the price and expect to sell all those new Smyrna Leafs? Either you are nuts, or Nissan is. :eek: I will leave others to speculate about who is more likely to be grounded in reality. ;)

Stoaty said:
You think Nissan is going to increase the price and expect to sell all those new Smyrna Leafs? Either you are nuts, or Nissan is. :eek: I will leave others to speculate about who is more likely to be grounded in reality. ;)

Don't pass judgement on me! I'm not setting the price; I'm merely guessing what our esteemed leaders at Nissan might do.

Yes, I think the new low cost S model will offset the new higher priced, but super duper featured SV and SL models, now with 228km of range.

there are 2 prices for the LEAF, the purchase price and the lease price. the cheapest way to purchase a LEAF is to buyout the lease, Nissan will continue to have very competitive lease rates. My wild speculation is that Nissan would like there to be a 90% lease to 10% buy ratio and the market pricing will reflect that.

A lease is like a de-facto warranty but better, in the regard that its the driver's discretion to keep or return.

Its great that the '13 Leaf is now 228kms JC08, that suggests that regen will be much more effective for those in urban or hilly country.
How will ford respond if the US national base model LEAF will be 10k cheaper than its equivalent Ford ! (ans - matching deals CARB states only)

This probably does not come as a revelation, but this thread was one of the busiest in quite some time. There appears to be plenty of interest in the Leaf and its 2013 model year. I'm sure Statik has similar data from insideevs.com :)

TeW38v

ydnas7 said:
there are 2 prices for the LEAF, the purchase price and the lease price. the cheapest way to purchase a LEAF is to buyout the lease...

Are you saying that it is cheaper to lease the car + buyout the lease than it is to buy it outright up front?

Or are you saying that the residual price at least end will be less than the new price?

I'm pretty happy with all the upgrades. The sum total of these upgrades plus a bigger 10 kWh onboard charger option would make this an easy upgrade for me from my current 2011. No other car maker besides Tesla has a better EV option for me and my budget. Toyota and all the others missed the fast charging need except Mitsubishi and I'm not buying their mini i bean car.

My favorite 2013 upgrades will be:
A much faster onboard charger in the US (don't disappoint Nissan).
More space in the trunk.
The unlock on the key for the charge port.
Everything else announced... except a foot parking brake. I like the parking brake on the center console.

GetOffYourGas said:
TomT said:
I wonder if there is a cargo organizer in that picture or if the new cargo area really is that much less deep than the old? If the former, it would actually offer less utility for me...

evnow said:
This might be enough to make me upgrade if I can get a good 2 year lease in Jan/Feb.
2012102225.jpg

That looks to be the same depth to me. I'll have to go double-check my trunk now!

On the other hand, I hope Nissan offers a new cargo organizer to take advantage of this extra space, while providing a flat surface when the rear seats are folded.

TEG said:
ydnas7 said:
there are 2 prices for the LEAF, the purchase price and the lease price. the cheapest way to purchase a LEAF is to buyout the lease...

Are you saying that it is cheaper to lease the car + buyout the lease than it is to buy it outright up front?

Or are you saying that the residual price at least end will be less than the new price?

The residual + payments are less than the new price.

google 199 nissan leaf
and a typical site will be http://www.choosenissan.com/san-diego-area/leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sale offer details - 2012 LEAF SV Starting at $35,200. (add some taxes etc.)
Lease offer details - $36,050 MSRP incl. destination charge.
(subtract $9,775 manufacturer's rebate applied to $199 MONTH lease.)
(subtract full federal $7,500 rebate)
(includes some taxes etcs)
Net capitalized cost of $24,077
At lease end, purchase for $16,944

A key challenge for nissan is to get people into LEAFs on a no risk basis - try before you buy type scenario.
this would've drastically reduced the angst of phoenix battery issue if the buyers were leasees instead.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but http://www.torquenews.com/1075/japanese-2013-nissan-leaf-announced-offering-more-electric-car-lower-price?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=linkedin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; had a link to this official Nissan video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0jn2chM0H8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, featuring Kadota-san.

Too bad I don't understand Japanese. :( I see the meeting at the Googleplex where Kadota-san (along w/Mark Perry and others) were present was featured in the UStream feed at ~23:15 and again at the 24 min mark w/a show of hands and a pic of the % SoC indicator.

So can I infer that no longer will there be a standalone "Charger" that can be replaced/upgraded? That starting in 2013 "Charging" and "HV DC to 12 DC Converting" will be handled by the "power delivery module"? So can I also infer that there will be a "3.3 kW power delivery module" that will be standard on the "model S" (or whatever it is referred to in US) and perhaps the model SV and maybe even the model SL as well? And that there will be a "6.6 kW power delivery module" that will be an option on all three or maybe standard on the model SL?

GetOffYourGas said:
These *should* be pushed out to all current owners free of charge IMHO.

I agree but am not getting my hopes up. We can't even buy a map upgrade, so I don't hold out much hope of free goodies for the previous MY owners.

davewill said:
JPWhite said:
... Either they ditched that to make place for the charging port opener (huge improvement IMHO) or the japs never had a panic button in the first place ...
I'm going to assume ignorance here, but "Jap" is an offensive racial slur which I don't think we need to use around here.

Thanks for the prod. I changed the original post. No offense intended.

Back