2013 LEAF Specs, Pricing, Options Released In Japan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the Leaf is to use a different brand of EVSE, what are the chances it will support 120/240 operation? That would be a big cost savings to a lot of users by not needing to purchase another EVSE.

mwalsh said:
JustinC said:
I wish they had that dark grey when I purchased. I didn't like any of the choices available in 2011, so I settled on black.

+1. In fact, if you find my posts about the color palate from around the time that the actual 2011 colors were released, I put it out there that I was really hoping that it would be Platinum Graphite Metallic offered on the 370Z. But, alas, it was not to be.

I had a chance to talk to some Nissan product planners back in 2010 and put in a request for gun-metal gray as well, so I would like to think I might have had a bit of influence on that choice as well.

I also asked for a darker interior, but I think that request was widespread.

adric22 said:
If the Leaf is to use a different brand of EVSE, what are the chances it will support 120/240 operation? That would be a big cost savings to a lot of users by not needing to purchase another EVSE.

I don't think they plan to "go there". It looks like they plan to offer a smaller 120V@12A portable EVSE.
Perhaps they are concerned around safety issues related to people unplugging dryer/oven plugs to charge their cars...

TEG said:
So I would like to think I might have had a bit of influence on that choice as well.

+1. It seems like there are quite a few modifications/changes/improvements where we've either helped influence or have been the primary source of it. Though I don't personally care for those new 17" wheels, where I was (am) quite enamored by the Juke wheel swap.

http://news.yahoo.com/nissan-upgrades-leaf-electric-car-lowers-price-065604470--finance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope the around vehicle view (for safer parking) does make it to the USA LEAF.
That is a neat feature that I would love to have.

360.jpg

Yep, the only thing about my new 2012 SL that I can say I really don't like is having to go into the car to open the charging latch. Glad to see they fixed that.

The GOM isn't nearly as bad as the forum likes to bash on, but maybe it just fits my driving needs perfectly, so it's not much of an issue.

Oh & I expect none of the upgrades to transfer to the 2011 & 2012s

Philip

richard said:
Long-life mode (where the battery is charged to 80% to extend the battery life), now available in any charging mode
Not sure I understand this, because I'm not sure what Nissan considers a "charging mode".

Currently, we have two timers available, and either can be applied to a particular weekday.

I'm hoping that it means you can charge-override "to 80%". This would be useful for times you'd like to top off outside of your normal timers, but not to 100%. Or, conversely, step-down a programmed 100% charge in progress, to 80%

ksnogas2112 said:
Stanton said:
1) Software update for SOC%

Given some of the "wonderful" software updates I've read about, the last thing I want them to do is update the software or the firmware on the existing fleet without a really damn good reason.

Oh, Nissan would have a good reason, and they'll throw in the SOC meter for free. I suspect virtually everybody will jump on that, while your first capacity bar gets changed from 15% to 45%.

adric22 said:

It's the same brand; Panasonic.

Just cheaper and lighter, and not possible to upgrade to 16amp. The same one is in the Rav4, and Plug In Prius. It will support 240 modification (mine is already done in my Rav4, the very first one modified).

It will remain 12 amps.

TEG said:
adric22 said:

I don't think they plan to "go there". It looks like they plan to offer a smaller 120V@12A portable EVSE.
Perhaps they are concerned around safety issues related to people unplugging dryer/oven plugs to charge their cars...

Actually, I think they're concerned with PO'd EVSE suppliers complaining that "these Leaf guys keep upgrading their (free) units to 240v instead of buying ours"! I wouldn't be surprised if this new unit can NOT be upgraded (to 240v) in a similar fashion. That ship may have sailed... :cry:

MikeS said:
mwalsh said:
surfingslovak said:
Very happy to see this as well, the old lever looked like something that was recycled from the Versa:

chargedoor

I notice they managed to highlight the wrong button in the car on this slide. :?

I'm not sure they did. They're showing the new electromagnetic release button on the dash and the unlock button on the fob. I would imagine the idea would be that you could walk up to the car and pop open the charge port without getting in the car. The button on the dash next to it looks like the locking locking/theft feature part of the new charge cover.

But I'm a newbie and could be wrong.

I don't see the red 'panic button' on the FOB. Either they ditched that to make place for the charging port opener (huge improvement IMHO) or the japanese never had a panic button in the first place and we'll go to a 4 button fob like some of the older Nissan's I've driven. In fact a dedicated button on the FOB isn't necessary, pressing the unlock button twice could open the charger port door.

Does it looks like this (optional?) subwoofer fits in the new gap where the rear hump used to be?:
subwoof.jpg

TEG said:
adric22 said:

One of the big warranty claims (as presented at the Dec 3, 2011 Nissan Love Fest @ Google) was people plugging their EVSE into 240 volts and frying it.

This cheaper Panasonic will fry just as quick.

Stanton said:
TEG said:
adric22 said:

Actually, I think they're concerned with PO'd EVSE suppliers complaining that "these Leaf guys keep upgrading their (free) units to 240v instead of buying ours"! I wouldn't be surprised if this new unit can NOT be upgraded (to 240v) in a similar fashion. That ship may have sailed... :cry:

It can be upgraded, however it also has a per use "time out". I don't know how many uses, but when you hit that number, it will stop working. Folks are working to crack the code as we speak.

:mrgreen:

Back