2013 Leaf Onboard Charger Pops Fuses / Breakers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcdonald

I have a 2013 Leaf with 105k Miles and my onboard 6KW charger appears to be popping fuses, breakers in EVSE. QC charge port works fine

Symptoms: Popping breakers of EVSE, bricking EVSE(or perhaps blowing internal fuses). Breaker or internal fuse pop is IMEDIATE.

Confirmed Kills: Original Nissan EVSE (converted to 220v) now will not show any lights on a working outlet., Bosch 30-Amp EVSE (will not show any lights), Chargepoint Level 2 Station (installed less than 6 months ago) - Chargepoint station maybe just a tripped breaker but I didn't have access to the panel to reset.

Pops Breaker only on: Juicebox Custom EVSE (Popped 60 AMP breaker that leads to garage sub-panel) did not appear to break the charger.

Now before we get into potential electrical faults of the circuits the EVSE are plugged into (which seem to be the subject of other forum posts.) The three EVSE which have been destroyed were all on different circuits, and all were on different electrical systems, including the commercial public charger from Chargepoint (which hopefully only popped it's breaker....)

Tried to pull codes with leafspy after 2 of these incidents and I don't get any codes reported.

Any idea on where to start?

It sounds like the two AC inlet wires in your charge port are shorted together somewhere between the port and the OBC. Maybe you can use a voltmeter to check resistance/continuity between the top two pins in the port connector, probably easier from the backside.

There are fuses in the OBC that would blow if there were a shorted component, plus that you didn't get any DTC, tells me that the problem occurs before the OBC.

Back