2013 Leaf heater problems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubear

The winter climate here is typically 30-40F.
When the car was new, I could see power consumption rise to about 3-4KW, then slowly drop as the car warmed.
Now it exhibits this behavior:
Power consumption varies between zero and .7kW. When at zero, I can turn off the car, back on again and it started drawing power, maybe back to .75 kW.
Lately never above .5kW.

If I turn on the defroster, power drops to zero.

A friend's 2013 Leaf draws considerable power, as much as 3.5Kw.

I have an appointment Friday with the local dealer, we'll see.
-Robert

Sounds like your "problem" is not really a problem. unless the energy info screen is just not reporting the correct usage.

Lasareath said:
Sounds like your "problem" is not really a problem. unless the energy info screen is just not reporting the correct usage.

I don't understand the logic above.
For others that have similar problems, the dealer found that the car's "PTC heater" has failed and that they won't be available until mid January.
-Robert

Stoaty said:
You didn't mention one small item--does the heater heat the car properly?
Oops, I thought the subject was enough. The heater produces little heat. The resistive portion of the heater has failed.
The heat pump still works, but produces little heat and no heat in defrost mode.

BTW, "PTC heater" means "positive temperature coefficient heater". A resistor which has resistance that rises with temperature.

-Robert

rubear said:
Stoaty said:
Oops, I thought the subject was enough. The heater produces little heat. The resistive portion of the heater has failed.
The heat pump still works, but produces little heat and no heat in defrost mode.

BTW, "PTC heater" means "positive temperature coefficient heater". A resistor which has resistance that rises with temperature.

-Robert

I think I have the same issue. Main symptom is my SV no longer preheats on L2 charger, rather the when I turn on climate while plugged in the car seems to mainly charge instead of heat up (8% in 15 min). Previously it would get very toasty, and I assume the PTC element is what is used for heating when plugged in. Did yours do this?

The heat pump still managed to warm the car up ok otherwise.

epirali said:
rubear said:
Stoaty said:

-Robert

I think I have the same issue. Main symptom is my SV no longer preheats on L2 charger, rather the when I turn on climate while plugged in the car seems to mainly charge instead of heat up (8% in 15 min). Previously it would get very toasty, and I assume the PTC element is what is used for heating when plugged in. Did yours do this?

The heat pump still managed to warm the car up ok otherwise.
Yes, that is how my car behaves. Also, no heat during defrost as the heat pump is used for defrost and the PTC element for heat.
The dealer said that a replacement PTC heater won't be available until mid-January.

Back