2013 leaf 6.6kw

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmp647

Can anyone tell me how many amps the 2013 Leaf might draw on a 240v level 2 evse such as the aeroviroment unit when its hooked up to a residential 240v circuit and drawing max current?

I know its a guess and or a simple calculation and should be simple........

kmp647 said:
Can anyone tell me how many amps the 2013 Leaf might draw on a 240v level 2 evse such as the aeroviroment unit when its hooked up to a residential 240v circuit and drawing max current?

I know its a guess and or a simple calculation and should be simple........

6.6kwh = 6600 watts

6600 watts / 240 volts = 27.5 amps

It would be logical to keep the amperage at 30 amps or less because there are a lot of EVSE out there rated at 30 amps max. The GE Wattstation that I use is a good example of this.

KJD

EdmondLeaf said:
smkettner said:
kmp647 said:
I am hoping the 27.5 amp is the correct answer
I have a 30amp breaker on #10 wire !
EVSE should be limiting Leaf to 24 amps.
so the 6.6 kWh charger will be in fact 5.76 kWh charger?

No. I believe he was referring to the fact that one of the few functions of an EVSE is to tell a car how much it can draw.

I don't think so. Since the 3.3 draws 16 amps, it only makes sense that the 6.6 can draw 32. However, since many EVSEs have a 30 amp limit, the pilot signal will likely derate it slightly on those units. Some EVSEs (Blink, for example) also let you set the maximum current so if you were on a 20amp circuit and had such a unit, you could set it to only allow a maximum of a 20 amp charge rate... The pilot signal in the EVSE tells the car the maximum it is allowed to draw.

EdmondLeaf said:
so the 6.6 kWh charger will be in fact 5.76 kWh charger?

Some EVSE units may be adjustable; in fact, the SPX can be adjusted from 16 A up to 32 A. Precautions must be taken in regards to the breaker rating, wire gauge, length of the circuit and wall receptacle. Ask your electrician.

I know my evse isnt set up quite right, its an aero viro RS Nissan branded unit designed for a 40amp breaker

its on a 30a breaker with #10 wire

kinda wondering what would happen on a Focus or a 2013 leaf hooked to it

guess we could check with someone who has a coda, or a focus ev and a ted or some measuring device

course yeah if the Ford approved Leviton unit goes on a 30amp breaker......

I think if it comes down to it I can install a 40a breaker on the circuit and be ok

#10 wire is the min and #8 would be better

but it should be fine.
Ford and Leviton say the car can draw 32amps if thats correct I would think the 2013 Leaf might pull 32a also
I think

Back