2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marcin said:
dellbo said:
I'm pursuing the $1999 down/$199 mo lease deal in Austin, Tx. Was hit with the TT&L fee when starting the lease process which totaled $2640. This was to be added to the $1999 down. This seemed disingenious to me. Is this typical? I was expecting 2K down and $199 a month and got thrown this curve. To keep the deposit to 1999, having to increase monthly payment to $250. Anyone else experience this?

tell them you will take the car to your licence office yourself and take fees off, or ask the local office to print out the estimated fees for you. my fees in indiana were $280 and the dealer wanted twice that amount.
It's not about the fees. It's about dealers wanting to make a certain amount of profit. That's why you need to focus on the total cost of the lease and compare deals. People want to believe that they are getting $99 a month or $199 a month deals so they refuse to read the fine print which clearly is telling them that they have no idea what their actual cost will be for the lease. Dealers have and always will put things in the lowest terms and hide the ball. The only amazing thing is that some people bite on it. If You can't tell by the ad what you are really paying then simply disregard the ad. Oh, you can't do that because the numbers look so low? Gotcha!

I picked up mine on 8/31, started with phone calls to Portland Nissan dealer running a Labor day weekend special, but didn't want to spend the $25 Amtrak ticket to get to Portland...(then drive it 110 miles home with a stop at the West Coast Green Highway DCQC on the way home north...), so I started calling Olympia/Tacoma dealers......Olympia not interested, Puyallup not interested in giving a quote, but Tacoma Nissan was able to MATCH the deal below from the Portland Dealer.....and I was in and out in under 2 hours (including the EV training/prep from the sales staff). Negotiation through e-mail and chat with both dealers. No problems....Portland guy was going to pick me up at the train station to get the car at the dealership. I actually felt guilty calling him back to tell him I wouldn't be coming (and did get the refund on my Amtrak ticket...).

Here's the deal:
2013 Red S with:
Quick Charge package
(6.6kw Onboard Charger
Quick Charge Port
Rearview Monitor)
Protection package
(Clear protector at Charging Port
Rear Bumper Protector)
Splash Guards
Floormats & Cargo Area Mat

Tacoma Nissan (Pierre)
$2900 down (includes 1st month), $305 title/docs/2 yr WA registration) = $3205 Out the door
$99.88/month for 23 months...
(No sales tax in WA for EV's, but a $100/year additional registration fee to replace Gas Tax)

Total for 2 years = $5502.24...net of $229.26/month + maybe $10/month of juice....negates my $140/month gas bill.

I have a 45 mile RT 5-day commute, so the 12k miles/yr is perfect... Also have a FREE (see above) DCQC about 2 miles from my house (and on the way home)...so I stop by for 20-25 minutes to get me back up to 80-90%, then 'trickle' back up to 100% (I am NOT keeping it after the 24 month lease).
So far, 423 miles, total of 41KW of home charging usage (using a Kill-a-watt meter on the trickle charger)....so getting about 1 penny per mile....or equivalent of 350MPG (assuming $3.50/gallon of fuel)....

It's so nice to be able to get away at lunch without gas, (15 mile RT to get anyplace decent for lunch), but that might put me over the limits of 1000 mi/month if I do this too often...

I can live with that.....

I don't know if either of these dealers are still willing to make deals like this, but both were able to do it then......

I just picked up my leaf yesterday and I could not have it done it without all the good information I read on this forum. Below are my lease details.

Nissan Leaf S + quick charger package(6.6 kw charger, q/c port, rearview camera) + floor mats + cargo area mat
Mile: 15,000/year
Downpayment with first months payment+ taxes + fees: $1,273
Monthly payment including taxes: $263
Lease term: 36 months

So $1,273(downpayment + 1st month + fees etc) + $263(X35 months) + $395Disposition fee = $10,873

California has $2500 cash back rebate if buying/signing a three year lease: $10,873 - $2,500 = $8,373

2013 Nissan Leaf Monthly cost = $8373/36= $232 + $111(insurance) = $343
Current car cost on 2001 Honda= $200 (gas) + + 27 (insurance) = $227
We have L2 chargers at work, so I dont plan to charge at home unless I really need to.

So it is roughly costing me $116 more to drive a nissan leaf opposed to my old car, which is not bad since I am driving a 12 year newer car with cooler features + not using gas!.

What you guys think? Any recommendation on insurance companies? I think $111 a month is kind of expensive with Geico.

Emc, you've the same car and same lease terms, except mine is 12Kmi/yr.

Did you use VPP? Your numbers look a tad higher by a wee lil bit.

Try Ameriprise. I shopped around for auto insurance. For my particular case, Ameriprise came in lowest, about $400 for 6 months.

Congrats on your new car.

Thanks Sitech! I will look into the insurance company your mentioned. The company I work for does not participate in VPP, so the price was regular. I negotiated it a bit down... I wish I would have negotiated the downpayment down too... I think I got too excited... First time leasing.

BTW there is a currently active thread about different insurance rates for the Leaf:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pm'ed with some questions, i.e. which dealership did u go?

emc said:
I just picked up my leaf yesterday and I could not have it done it without all the good information I read on this forum. Below are my lease details.

Nissan Leaf S + quick charger package(6.6 kw charger, q/c port, rearview camera) + floor mats + cargo area mat
Mile: 15,000/year
Downpayment with first months payment+ taxes + fees: $1,273
Monthly payment including taxes: $263
Lease term: 36 months

So $1,273(downpayment + 1st month + fees etc) + $263(X35 months) + $395Disposition fee = $10,873

California has $2500 cash back rebate if buying/signing a three year lease: $10,873 - $2,500 = $8,373

2013 Nissan Leaf Monthly cost = $8373/36= $232 + $111(insurance) = $343
Current car cost on 2001 Honda= $200 (gas) + + 27 (insurance) = $227
We have L2 chargers at work, so I dont plan to charge at home unless I really need to.

So it is roughly costing me $116 more to drive a nissan leaf opposed to my old car, which is not bad since I am driving a 12 year newer car with cooler features + not using gas!.

What you guys think? Any recommendation on insurance companies? I think $111 a month is kind of expensive with Geico.

Any one leased a leaf in Tacoma/Seattle area after Sep 5th? Can you please post your lease details.
They seemed to have gone up a bit, looking for details of what is a good price..

Thanks,

NAVS said:
Any one leased a leaf in Tacoma/Seattle area after Sep 5th? Can you please post your lease details.
They seemed to have gone up a bit, looking for details of what is a good price..

Thanks,

Nissan of Portland still has their ad up that is saying 1000 down 199/mo for 24 mo....
With docs/title/etc at $305, that would work out to 1000+(23X199)+305 or $5882 out the door....if you can get them to do that on one with the QC package (I'd say a 50/50 chance), then you just pay for the amtrak ticket to portland (they offered to pick me up), and you can QC on the way home......it'll cost you 150 miles off your 24000 mile lease limit (to get home), but will sure give you the real feeling of driving longer distances and depending on charges on the way.....I was working with Jimi Hays....seemed to be a real nice guy.....

Hi all - I'm a prospective Leaf buyer from NE Vermont - wondering what you guys think of my lease offer below from Team Nissan in Manchester, NH:

2013 SV LEAF

$32,985

12,000 miles per year 36 months

$266 per month

(includes VT Sales tax)

$1999 down payment 1st payment and dealer $399 administration fee.

$2647 Due at sign.

bmold86 said:
Hi all - I'm a prospective Leaf buyer from NE Vermont - wondering what you guys think of my lease offer below from Team Nissan in Manchester, NH:

2013 SV LEAF

$32,985

$266 per month

(includes VT Sales tax)

$2647 Due at sign.

Number One rule of leasing. ... never put any money down on a lease

bmold86 said:

2013 SV LEAF

$32,985

$266 per month

(includes VT Sales tax)

$2647 Due at sign.
That's the highest quote I've seen on an SV. It is not only over dealer cost, but it appears to be over MSRP. I guess YOU are the market in Vermont.

Here is the new calculation - according to September money factor and residual.

The numbers aren't too different for 3 year lease. But they are more expensive for 2 years.

LeafLease.png

I'm in Chicagoland and I'm not getting quotes near what people here have been getting. I want the Leaf S with the charging package for 3 years with 12,000 miles. Our sales tax is 2,164. The fees are $375.08 (156.08 doc fee, 99 registration, 95 title, and 25 electronic fee for a total of $375.08). I don't see how the two different quotes really add up with the second one having a much smaller monthly payment. At the same time, the second dealer won't give me the full details, I have to ask her one question at a time to get a specific reply. Any suggestions on how to get a better price?

Dealer #1
MSRP: 31,120
Vehicle price: 29,677
Adjusted cap cost: 25,326
monthly payment: 358.88
residual value: 12,448

Dealer #2
Residual: 12,200
monthly payment: 269
money factor: .00003
sale price: 29,500

r1234567 said:
I'm in Chicagoland and I'm not getting quotes near what people here have been getting. I want the Leaf S with the charging package for 3 years with 12,000 miles. Our sales tax is 2,164. The fees are $375.08 (156.08 doc fee, 99 registration, 95 title, and 25 electronic fee for a total of $375.08). I don't see how the two different quotes really add up with the second one having a much smaller monthly payment. At the same time, the second dealer won't give me the full details, I have to ask her one question at a time to get a specific reply. Any suggestions on how to get a better price?

Dealer #1

Dealer #2

Unless you are getting vpp pricing the leases now are a friggen ripoff compared to what they used to be. I will still lurk around the forums but I don't see myself getting a lease on a leaf at this point. They can keep their car and I will keep my money

I leased exact same car (S w/ QC) on Aug.1st in LA metro area.
For 3 yr lease, my residual is $14937.60
Has it been gone down that much?
That'll explain why you're not getting a deal anywhere near to the posted deal here.

r1234567 said:

Dealer #1

Dealer #2

jjj240 said:
I leased exact same car (S w/ QC) on Aug.1st in LA metro area.
For 3 yr lease, my residual is $14937.60
Has it been gone down that much?
ALG Reduces Plug-In Vehicle Residual Values
http://insideevs.com/alg-reduces-plug-in-vehicle-residual-values-nissan-leaf-hit-with-2500-reduction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

r1234567 said:

Dealer #1

Dealer #2

Yes, the lowering of residual value has caused the lease price to go up. But, additionally your sales price quotes are $200 to $377 OVER dealer invoice for that model with options. If someone gets VPP pricing or comparable at $1000 UNDER invoice, you can see that your lease price would be a lot lower. Since you can't change Nissan's residual, your best hope is to negotiate a lower sales price with the dealer.

livingaboard said:
bmold86 said:

2013 SV LEAF

$32,985

$266 per month

(includes VT Sales tax)

$2647 Due at sign.

BTW, why never put down any money on a lease deal?
in the end, wouldn't total cost of ownership be mattered? down + monthly payment.

jjj240 said:
livingaboard said:

BTW, why never put down any money on a lease deal?
in the end, wouldn't total cost of ownership be mattered? down + monthly payment.

Nissan's lease contracts, and perhaps that of others, are structured in such a way that if the car is declared stolen/unrecoverable, or a total loss, you will not get any money back, even if the car's Fair Market Value at the time of the loss exceeds the payoff of the lease. So if you put $2500 down, it's gone. That's why you don't want to put a huge down payment on a lease.

Technically this happens to you when you purchase a car as well, but with a purchase you can choose to have your insurer, if they allow, substitute a "similar or better" car instead of paying you off, so you don't lose any money since you're getting a direct replacement that is at least as good as the car that was insured. NMAC specifically does not allow this for leases; they will only accept a payoff of the lease.

Zero drive off costs is optimal, but sometimes not possible, but even then you can always bargain for putting down as little as possible and rolling what would normally be the rest of the drive off costs into the monthly payments.

Back