2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
dserebren said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
sounds like modified version of zero down, 199 a month to me except that you are dinged with a $2500 out of pocket drive off to save what? $2 a month?

you have taxes to deal with so it will be more than $89. i would go for the other if you can swing payments in the $250 range but that is me. I would NEVER consider a LEAF that did not have quick charge especially in your area where you have so many

Thanks for your replies, everyone. DaveinOlyWA, do you mean that 199/mo usually *does* include taxes and so that's why it's only $2 a month more?

no. it would be $199 plus tax.

your deal is $2500 down then 23 payments of $89 or total of $4547. the other is 199 for 23 payments or $4577. so over 2 years you would "save" $30 or a bit over a buck a month but you would lose interest or flexibility on the $2500...

I must be missing something. The $199/mo deal that I see in CA is for 36 months. Isn't that $7164? I'm afraid I'm a newbie in leasing. Do auto leases generally allow early termination and that's why you are comparing both deals on the first 24 months only?

Anyhow, the 89/mo deal is no longer available as of September 4th. So this is academic at this point.

My original intent was to lease 2013 S w/QC at $208 per month, $500 down, 15k mi, 24 months. But the rates have changed yesterday and went up by $32. I am picking the car up tomorrow morning. See attached worksheet with all details. It took me since July to get this close and kind of lost in the end by one day. Drive home will be 90 miles so will need to test the QC along the route. At home only 110v to feed the beast, but working on L2 hook up with the electric company, they offer $1650 credit towards the install and the charger with free overnight juice.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9963/2fye.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope to at least drive the car stress free for the next 24-30 months.

I must be missing something. The $199/mo deal that I see in CA is for 36 months. Isn't that $7164?

Anyhow, the 89/mo deal is no longer available as of September 4th. So this is academic at this point.[/quote]

It really was never $89 by the time you added all the tax and extras. I'm sure you can get the "deal" any time. I've never seen an advertised Leaf lease "deal" that could not be matched or beaten.

Corina1231 said:
I must be missing something. The $199/mo deal that I see in CA is for 36 months. Isn't that $7164?

Anyhow, the 89/mo deal is no longer available as of September 4th. So this is academic at this point.

It really was never $89 by the time you added all the tax and extras. I'm sure you can get the "deal" any time. I've never seen an advertised Leaf lease "deal" that could not be matched or beaten.[/quote]

I am just not getting the leaf lease love here. Nissan has raised their rates and the dealers are not really giving out any great deals. I will probably just buy a new Honda accord. it gets pretty good gas mileage and I dont drive a lot anyway. Nissan is pretty proud of their leaf vehicles.

livingaboard said:
Corina1231 said:

It really was never $89 by the time you added all the tax and extras. I'm sure you can get the "deal" any time. I've never seen an advertised Leaf lease "deal" that could not be matched or beaten.

I am just not getting the leaf lease love here. Nissan has raised their rates and the dealers are not really giving out any great deals. I will probably just buy a new Honda accord. it gets pretty good gas mileage and I dont drive a lot anyway. Nissan is pretty proud of their leaf vehicles.[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------

Many of us who buy or lease EVs are committed for environmental reasons and others are doing primarily for economic benefits. I'm on the environmental side but admit that I didn't lease my first Leaf until it became economically advantageous late last summer. I now have two Leafs and a Tesla on order. I hope you will reconsider your thoughts out of a commitment to a better planet.

But on a pure economic basis, Leaf leases are still a steal. I have a dealer in San Jose who is committed to the environment as well and has given my VPP pricing to 33 others who would not have otherwise qualified. If you are near San Jose I'll be glad to help you if your credit is excellent. The annual savings on gasoline, possibility of a free charger program, state rebates and the carpool sticker make the decision to lease a Leaf an economic no brainier.

I hope you'll look at all the benefits and come to the same conclusion.

Ron

I've been lurking for a couple years, ever since I did a test drive on a Leaf when they were doing their demo days.
I'm finally ready to do a lease, and really wish I could of caught on with the 199 at the begining of the year.

State : Colorado
Sales tax % : 4.15
Leaf Trim, options : SV w/ LED & QC
MSRP : 33,420
Negotiated Price : 32,885
Money Factor : 0.00014
Downpayment : Zero
Monthly payment : 310 + taxes

Thanks for any help!

avalanch00 said:
I've been lurking for a couple years, ever since I did a test drive on a Leaf when they were doing their demo days.
I'm finally ready to do a lease, and really wish I could of caught on with the 199 at the begining of the year.

Thanks for any help!

How in the heck did you get a money factor so low? That is like 1/3 of a percent whereas I keep getting told it is over 4 percent. This is assuming excellent credit on my part as well. Even so, I am getting payments about the same. Negotiated price is lower on my end with premium package and LED/QC port. I still think it should be about $250 ish all around

Corina1231 said:
I have a dealer in San Jose who is committed to the environment as well and has given my VPP pricing to 33 others who would not have otherwise qualified. If you are near San Jose I'll be glad to help you if your credit is excellent.

Ron

Ron can you elaborate about sharing the VPP love? I'm not VPP, but a good friend of mine is. Can we get a local dealer to give both my friend and I VPP prices?

braineo said:
Corina1231 said:
I have a dealer in San Jose who is committed to the environment as well and has given my VPP pricing to 33 others who would not have otherwise qualified. If you are near San Jose I'll be glad to help you if your credit is excellent.

Ron

Ron can you elaborate about sharing the VPP love? I'm not VPP, but a good friend of mine is. Can we get a local dealer to give both my friend and I VPP prices?

Sure, pm me.

livingaboard said:
avalanch00 said:

Thanks for any help!

How in the heck did you get a money factor so low? That is like 1/3 of a percent whereas I keep getting told it is over 4 percent. This is assuming excellent credit on my part as well. Even so, I am getting payments about the same. Negotiated price is lower on my end with premium package and LED/QC port. I still think it should be about $250 ish all around

The money factor went down considerably on Sept. 3. That's the good news. The bad news is that the Leaf residual sunk even more. Net is that Leaf leases cost more than ever for this year.

I have no idea how I got the MF.

I asked for a quote, with 2k down and it ended up costing more. Questioned the math, and they came back with:

(0 down) $975 down 36 months 12,000 miles per year $291.31 plus tax

$2000 down 36 months 12,000 miles per year $261.88 plus tax

avalanch00 said:

I asked for a quote, with 2k down and it ended up costing more. Questioned the math, and they came back with:

Take a look at my deal, all I have to pay now is plates for $300.
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9963/2fye.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avalanch00 said:

The money factor went down considerably on Sept. 3. That's the good news. The bad news is that the Leaf residual sunk even more. Net is that Leaf leases cost more than ever for this year.

I was all set to pull the trigger on an S with charger and when I went to seal the deal the dealer raised the total cost of the 2 yr , 12 k mi a year price went up to about 8400 from 7000. That really threw a wrench in things. Do I have any shot at a dealer in Atlanta doing better than this? They said it was because the residual went down to about 51% or so sept 4. I really want my leaf-but can't do that price. Help!

Merritt said:
I was all set to pull the trigger on an S with charger and when I went to seal the deal the dealer raised the total cost of the 2 yr , 12 k mi a year price went up to about 8400 from 7000. That really threw a wrench in things. Do I have any shot at a dealer in Atlanta doing better than this? They said it was because the residual went down to about 51% or so sept 4. I really want my leaf-but can't do that price. Help!

Something does not add up here. In my case on the same car with even more alloted miles, the price went up by $32 per month.

marcin said:
Merritttelling moan to stuff i said:
I was all set to pull the trigger on an S with charger and when I wentI think they prettyto seal the deal the dealer raised the total cost of the 2 yr , 12 k mi a year price went up to about 8400 from 7000. That really threw a wrench in things. Do I have any shot at a dealer in Atlanta doing better than this? They said it was because the residual went down to about 51% or so sept 4. I really want my leaf-but can't do that price. Help!

Something does not add up here. In my case on the same car with even more alloted miles, the price went up by $32 per month.

I think people need to tell Nissan to stuff it. I didn't realize the residual dropped another 7points or so last week. I think this pretty much seals the deal for me buying a completely different car.

livingaboard said:
marcin said:
Merritttelling moan to stuff i said:
I was all set to pull the trigger on an S with charger and when I wentI think they prettyto seal the deal the dealer raised the total cost of the 2 yr , 12 k mi a year price went up to about 8400 from 7000. That really threw a wrench in things. Do I have any shot at a dealer in Atlanta doing better than this? They said it was because the residual went down to about 51% or so sept 4. I really want my leaf-but can't do that price. Help!

I think people need to tell Nissan to stuff it. I didn't realize the residual dropped another 7points or so last week. I think this pretty much seeks the deal for me buying a completely different car.

Nissan is merely reacting to the reality of the Leaf market. Many of us 100 pages ago on this thread commented how it would be crazy to buy a Leaf over leasing one primarily because the residual was so inflated that leases were a no-brainer. A few people defended their decision to buy - they were clearly wrong since their Leafs depreciation has already proven quite dramatic.

When the Leaf lease cars come back in two to three years, the batteries will get a facelift and they will go straight to auction and sell for $12k to $16k depending on the model, whether they are three or two years old and mileage. They will then hit the retail used car market for $1500 to $2000 more. Nissan will take a bath and lick their wounds. Right now, by lowering the residual, they are just beginning to cut their losses.

Below is an article which appeared in Automotive News in JUNE that says it all:

Automotive News
June 3, 2013 - 12:01 am ET

Kelley Blue Book projects that the 2013 Nissan Leaf will retain 35 percent of its sticker price after 36 months. That is 5 percentage points below the 36-month projection Kelley set at the end of 2011 for the 2012 Leaf.

Eric Ibara, Kelley's director of residual value consulting, says the company trimmed its predicted residual value for the 2013 Leaf because wholesale prices of the 2011 electric car have hovered in the mid-30 percent range for the past few months.

Prices of used Leafs softened in recent months for several reasons:

• Gasoline prices have held steady below $5 a gallon.

• Nissan North America cut the price of the base 2013 Leaf to $29,650, before a $7,500 tax credit, from $36,050 for the base 2012. Both prices include shipping. The 2013 is built in Smyrna, Tenn., whereas earlier Leafs were imported from Japan.

• Used-car shoppers haven't embraced the car.

"Demand for a new Leaf is driven by vehicle enthusiasts, early adopters, people who are concerned about the environment," Ibara says. "But when it comes to a 2-year-old used electric vehicle, practical considerations greatly outweigh the novelty of new technology."

• Nearly new Leafs in auction lanes put downward pressure on prices.

Some rental car companies bought Leafs but quickly sent the EVs to auction after customers shunned them, agree Ibara and Ricky Beggs, managing editor of Black Book.

Over the past six months, Beggs says he has seen many 2011 Leafs cross the auction block with fewer than 10,000 miles, and some with as few as 1,200 miles. Beggs says Black Book data show the average auction price of the 2011 Leaf SV in mid-May at $13,700.

Merritt said:
51% for 2 years doesn't make sense. You should check with other dealers.

update : On Nissan's website I see a 3 year deal for $199 a month. Looks like they have indeed dropped the residual heavily - to 40% for 3 years. So could be 51% for 2 years. Also, looks like now 3 years offers better per month rate than 2 years.

If anyone knows the residuals & money factors PM me.

Some examples:

Leaf S: Rebate is $8150

2 years / 12k year miles: Residual is 51%. MF is .00047

2 years / 15k year miles: Residual is 49%. MF is .00047

3 years / 12k year miles: Residual is 40%. MF is .00003

3 years / 15k year miles: Residual is 39%. MF is .00003

Leaf SV: Rebate is $7500

2 years / 15k year miles: Residual is 51%. MF is .00024

3 years / 15k year miles: Residual is 41%. MF is .00014

Leaf SL: Rebate is $7500

2 years / 15k year miles: Residual is 51%. MF is .00005

3 years / 12k year miles: Residual is 43%. MF is .00043