2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alexcuse said:
Last day of June
Downtown LA Nissan
Contacted many other dealerships in southern California and none came close to below deal.

Reached a deal on the below:
Base SV - no additional packages
State : CA
VPP = no
Downpayment : 1999 total
Monthly payment : 148 + tax * 23 mths
Disposition: 395
24 month term
12k miles/year

Had mindblowing experience dealing with their Fleet/Internet Manager Steve Bryson. He seemed more like a Nissan Leaf helpful ambassador from this knowledgeable forum, completely opposite of the BS time-wasting games played by the other dealerships.

Once we reached our deal, Steve Bryson was more than a man of his word. Special circumstance where my sought car got sold after our deal finalized, he went above and beyond and honored our previously agreed to deal by offering the same car with QC package upgrade!

Nice!!!!

Corina1231 said:
On another note, my dealer said Nissan will often agree to extend the lease at the current monthly payment for a 3rd year. Has anyone else heard this? That would provide an incentive to keep the monthly low, though you run the risk of losing your down payment in the event of an accident which totals the vehicle.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I leased three Honda Accords in the 90's. The first time my lease was about to end I received a call from Honda scheduling the usual inspection and asking me what dealership I would be dropping the car off at. Then the caller offered me an additional year at the same monthly price. I declined since I had already driven it 3 years and the warranty was up on the car.

Later, I was telling my friend who knows the car business even better than I about the offer. He told me what I should have already know having spent two years in the business myself when I was young. He said all dealers assess your lease at lease end, what you are paying per month, how the value of the car has held, etc. and if it is to THEIR advantage, they will call you and offer you another year at the same price. He is probably right since like most people pre-internet, I probably paid too much on my first car lease. I guess I must have done better negotiating my next two Accords because I put the same amount down with lower payments than my first lease and they never called me again!

Once again, the old adage held that there is no such thing as a free lunch!

RonDawg said:
Alexcuse said:
Once we reached our deal, Steve Bryson was more than a man of his word. Special circumstance where my sought car got sold after our deal finalized, he went above and beyond and honored our previously agreed to deal by offering the same car with QC package upgrade!

Nice!!!!
I was extremely fortunate! My agreed deal with Steve Bryson was just for base model, it was extraordinary circumstance for me to get QC package as well. My guess is if it was any other day than the last day of June, he would've been able to obtain my specific base model before the month end quota.

Since another forum member pm me about Steve Bryson's info, I thought I'll share it here as well

Steve BrysonFleet/ Internet ManagerNissan of Downtown LA
W:(213)748-4501
C: (310)3877486
[email protected]
http://www.downtownnissan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonDawg said:
Alexcuse said:
Last day of June
Downtown LA Nissan
Contacted many other dealerships in southern California and none came close to below deal.

VPP = no
24 month term
12k miles/year

Had mindblowing experience dealing with their Fleet/Internet Manager Steve Bryson. He seemed more like a Nissan Leaf helpful ambassador from this knowledgeable forum, completely opposite of the BS time-wasting games played by the other dealerships.

Nice!!!!

Wow, very similar to my deal, but getting the QC thrown in blew it out of the water!

Corina1231 said:
mig213 said:
Got my Pearl White SV with premium package (also splash guards, floor mats & cargo mat and Safety kit) yesterday with Ron's help! Very smooth transaction, arrived at the dealer at 10:30 am talked to Ron and then filled up the credit app and was done before 11:30!! Thank you again Ron!

1K out the door (includes ttl, 1st pay,etc) and $246.55/monthly for a 24 mo lease with 15k/year.
It was really great meeting you and Dennis yesterday. Great painless deal as usual. Wish you didn't have that 9% tax rate where you live! Anyway, enjoy your leaf and hopefully get Dennis his with customer loyalty $ next year.

Thanks Ron. I am enjoying the Leaf immensely. I'll work on Dennis so he can get a Leaf too!

Alexcuse said:
Last day of June
Downtown LA Nissan

VPP = no
24 month term
12k miles/year

Thanks for sharing! I'm also in the LA Basin market and comparing dealers. The best I've found on a white SV with QC and floor mats, with VPP but no loyalty, is $1999 down and $261 +tax/month for 15k miles/year, 3 years. After I get $2,500 back from the State I cost this out at 22.8 cents per mile, or 24.6 cents/mile after 9% sales tax is included.

RonDawg, you posted earlier that 21.3 cents per mile would be very good and 23.7 cents is average for a comparable car in my area. Were you including sales tax and the state incentive? Would you consider this a good deal?

The same math on the deal above gives me 14.04 cents/mile after the $2500 back (assuming it wasn't already factored in somehow) and after adding sales tax to the monthly payment. Wow.

Thanks much!

Edit because I fail - there's no $2500 back at 24 months. So the DTLA deal was 24.4 cents per mile.

Veganlady said:
Alexcuse said:
Last day of June
Downtown LA Nissan

VPP = no
24 month term
12k miles/year

Thanks for sharing! I'm also in the LA Basin market and comparing dealers. The best I've found on a white SV with QC and floor mats, with VPP but no loyalty, is $1999 down and $261 +tax/month for 15k miles/year, 3 years. After I get $2,500 back from the State I cost this out at 22.8 cents per mile, or 24.6 cents/mile after 9% sales tax is included.

RonDawg, you posted earlier that 21.3 cents per mile would be very good and 23.7 cents is average for a comparable car in my area. Were you including sales tax and the state incentive? Would you consider this a good deal?

The same math on the deal above gives me 14.04 cents/mile after the $2500 back (assuming it wasn't already factored in somehow) and after adding sales tax to the monthly payment. Wow.

Thanks much!

Edit because I fail - there's no $2500 back at 24 months. So the DTLA deal was 24.4 cents per mile.
Looks like it is a good time to revisit the "cents per mile" analysis, a controversial point which has been discussed at length several times in the past year on this thread. I am not in the camp that believes it is a good analytical tool. Nor am I in the camp that believes it is a bad analytical tool. I am in the camp that believes it is seldom a valid tool because its validity is limited to narrow situations and it is more often misused by people in all situations, usually to justify their point.

The value of the analysis is strictly narrowed to leases of the SAME MODEL Leaf, with the SAME OPTIONS, SAME MSRP, SAME TERM in the SAME SALES AREA. People who try to apply the analysis any other way are comparing apples to oranges. One who is enjoying the aesthetic or safety benefits of an SL or premium package or LED, or the cost savings or convenience of an often used quick charge cannot fairly be compared on a cent per mile basis to those who do not have these features.

Also, one who needs only 12k a year miles, all other things equal, will always pay more per mile than one who gets and uses 15k per year, because miles get cheaper as you lease more. Likewise, a cents per mile analysis is totally useless for nonVPP customers comparing the offers they got, all other things equal, in CA vs. Illinois.

The S model with no options leased in WA state (no tax), 15k per year miles wins every time.

Corina1231 said:
Veganlady said:

Thanks much!

Looks like it is a good time to revisit the "cents per mile" analysis, a controversial point which has been discussed at length several times in the past year on this thread. I am not in the camp that believes it is a good analytical tool. Nor am I in the camp that believes it is a bad analytical tool. I am in the camp that believes it is seldom a valid tool because its validity is limited to narrow situations and it is more often misused by people in all situations, usually to justify their point.

The value of the analysis is strictly narrowed to leases of the SAME MODEL Leaf, with the SAME OPTIONS, SAME MSRP, SAME TERM in the SAME SALES AREA. People who try to apply the analysis any other way are comparing apples to oranges. One who is enjoying the aesthetic or safety benefits of an SL or premium package or LED, or the cost savings or convenience of an often used quick charge cannot fairly be compared on a cent per mile basis to those who do not have these features.

Also, one who needs only 12k a year miles, all other things equal, will always pay more per mile than one who gets and uses 15k per year, because miles get cheaper as you lease more. Likewise, a cents per mile analysis is totally useless for nonVPP customers comparing the offers they got, all other things equal, in CA vs. Illinois.

The S model with no options leased in WA state (no tax), 15k per year miles wins every time.

Your points are well taken, which is why I said for a comparable car in my area. I'm looking for the same car and I'm 15 miles away. All apples. But are they overpriced apples? That is the question.

Veganlady said:
Corina1231 said:
Veganlady said:
Thanks for sharing! I'm also in the LA Basin market and comparing dealers. The best I've found on a white SV with QC and floor mats, with VPP but no loyalty, is $1999 down and $261 +tax/month for 15k miles/year, 3 years. After I get $2,500 back from the state.

Thanks much!
I can't speak for SoCal, but I ran the deal by our dealer in San Jose while I was quick charging tonight, and based on a Leaf SV w/ QC/LED, cargo and floor mats, 3 yr., 15k mile a year lease, VPP ($1000 under invoice) with your down of $1999, payments are 35 monthly @ $279, all taxes and fees included. Our tax rate is 8.75%; I believe yours is 8%. Dealer invoice and MSRP ($34,615) should be the same.

Corina1231 said:

Great post Corina1231.

One question - Why does MSRP matter? If you are evaluating the same model Leaf with the same options with the same lease terms in the same general sales area... why should it matter what the car costs on paper (MSRP or actual dealer invoice)? You are just renting it for a 2 or 3 year period.

sonnylax said:
Corina1231 said:

Great post Corina1231.

One question - Why does MSRP matter? If you are evaluating the same model Leaf with the same options with the same lease terms in the same general sales area... why should it matter what the car costs on paper (MSRP or actual dealer invoice)? You are just renting it for a 2 or 3 year period.
It's probably redundant. The same model with the same options should have the same MSRP, whether you are in California or another state. A few pages back I mentioned that I compared the MSRP on an identically equipped Leaf model in GA and CA, as they appeared on the Stone Mountain Nissan website and our local San Jose dealer's, and the price was identical. I did the comparison to show that the VPP price of $1000 under dealer invoice should be the same no matter what state you live in.

sonnylax said:
Corina1231 said:

Great post Corina1231.

I think the most important factor that matters when you are leasing is your out of pocket price at the end of lease, low or no down payment benefits if your car is totaled. You should also care about the residual if you have plans to buy it, nothing else. Cents/mile may be a better approach to do the math, one shouldn't worry about the MSRP or invoice calculations, leave that to the dealer, just worry about your out of pocket.

Corina1231 said:
tryingtogetaleaf said:
I am new to leasing a car and would appreciate some input.
The dealer quoted me the following fees.

Are any of those fees, especially the 'Acqusition' fee legit?

Leaf S MSRP 28800 + 850 delivery

399.00 Documentation Fee
59% Residual
.001450 Money factor
65.00 Tags
595.00 Acquition Fee
5.125 % Tax
24 months
12 K miles

Thanks for your input
An $850 delivery fee on top of the standard $595 acquisition fee? I don't think so! Also, your doc fee is $399, ours in CA is $80. Sounds like over $1000 of extra profit built in.
For Nor Cal, can you give a ballpark amount as to how much each of the fees should be, including doc and license?

I and nobody in my immediate family has ever leased a car before. We've always bought. I just don't want stuff snuck in.

I am still leaning towards an SV w/QC + LED package but it depends on whether I find the stock stereo acceptable. I haven't heard either the stock nor Bose stereo. Are SV w/both QC + LED AND premium packages commonly available? From skimming recent posts, it seems most are going for base SV, SV + QC/LED or SV + premium, but not SV + both packages.

winsats said:
I think the most important factor that matters when you are leasing is your out of pocket price at the end of lease, low or no down payment benefits if your car is totaled. You should also care about the residual if you have plans to buy it, nothing else. Cents/mile may be a better approach to do the math, one shouldn't worry about the MSRP or invoice calculations, leave that to the dealer, just worry about your out of pocket.

I agree with most of what you are saying winsats. But disagree about the importance of the residual, even if you plan to buy the car at the end of the lease.

At the end of your lease, if the cost to buy the vehicle is LOWER then then current used car value, then you likely will want to buy the car as it is a good deal for you. That is assuming you want/need to buy the car and have the funds available and/or can get decent financing.

If the cost to buy the vehicel is HIGHER at the end of the lease then the current used car value, then you walk away. Regardless of the residual involved and regardless of if you want/need to buy the car. Despite your personal history with the vehicle, why pay more for a used car then you have to?

How does this deal sound?

Leaf S base model
State: South Carolina

$199.00/month including taxes and fees
49% residual @ 36 months, $14528.50
Cap Cost $26193.84
No down payment (due at Signing $499.00 ($300 sales tax and first payment))

They said it is a "locate vehical", which I assume means they don't have it on the lot
and will look for it/trade with other dealerships? Any issues with this or anything
to watch out for?

It seems like a very good deal to me, given that S is sufficient for me.

Thanks.

geareffect said:
How does this deal sound?

Leaf S base model
State: South Carolina

$199.00/month including taxes and fees
49% residual @ 36 months, $14528.50
Cap Cost $26193.84
No down payment (due at Signing $499.00 ($300 sales tax and first payment))

They said it is a "locate vehical", which I assume means they don't have it on the lot
and will look for it/trade with other dealerships? Any issues with this or anything
to watch out for?

It seems like a very good deal to me, given that S is sufficient for me.

Thanks.
$499 down, plus $6965 more in payments, plus Nissan's $395 dispo fee at turn in = just under $8000 to lease a Leaf S for 3 years. Sounds great to me.

The only thing to watch out for is the dealer changing the deal on you after they get you emotionally ready to take the offer. The best deals posted on this thread were offers that we're never honored later by the dealer.

Hello All,
I am located in Ohio (Cleveland area), and looking to pull the trigger on a Leaf asap. Unfortunately, inventory is ridiculously scarce in this area, and because of that I am having a really hard time getting anywhere close to the deals I have seen on this thread.

With that being said, what is everybody's opinion on getting my lease through an out of state dealership (thinking CA), and then just getting the car shipped to me?

The absolute BEST, I have been able to negotiate from the Cleveland area dealers is as follows:
Model S (without charge package) - 2 Year 12k lease
MSRP : $29,820.00
Adjusted Cap Cost (with 7500 incentive) : $21,595
Residual Value : $17,295 at 58%
Money Factor : .00168
Down Payment : $0

Monthly Payment with tax included : $260
Due at signing :$827 (1st payment,doc fees,title, etc)

After seeing the deals everyone else is getting on here with even the higher end SL and SV models, I definitely feel like I am being fleeced with these numbers. Can anyone offer me some advice?

Thank You!!

I wrote on p. 102 at the end of last month:

"I am concerned that the money factor might go up a lot, considering the historic spike in interest rates in the past few weeks!"

Unfortunately, my prediction came true. I just stopped by my local Nissan dealer to check the new lease prices on Leafs for the month of July, and the news is not good. While supply has remained fairly constant, demand has risen sharply, accounting for the decreased inventory of Leafs on the lots. My local dealer delivered 71 Leafs last month, a new record. To add to the equation, the money factor went up in July (following interests rates everywhere).

The bottom line is that Leafs could well lease for $20-$25 a month more in July than June. My dealer flat out said he is counting on VPP deals (where the dealer gets $1000 back from Nissan) to account for a much larger percent of Leaf deals going forward. Those who got their Leaf before July 1 made the right move. Everyone who has a Leaf has seen its value appreciate a bit. The Leaf remains a great value on a historical basis, not to mention the economic and environmental benefits.

At the same time, there are new EVs in the market here in California. The Chevy Spark EV just arrived. I haven't leased the Leaf yet, as I wanted to see the Spark. I had a chance to check one out at the dealer, they were still unwrapping it. It has its strengths and is pretty competitive with the the S and is 1K less, goes farther, is much faster, and even has navigation.
It's also much smaller...

Just got this quote today in Santa Barbara:
SV + QC package
Tier 1 money factor: .0018
Residual: 24 months = 57%; 36 months = 48%

From other posts the MF looks high and the residual looks low.

Back