2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's (finally) time to add my tip of the hat to the ever growing list of Leafers who have benefited from the knowledge, generosity and... dare I say, fanaticism of Corina1231! Ron patiently walked me through the whole process, and even shepherded me though the wolf's den.. I mean dealer. Don't know how to thank you brother, but I sure was lucky to meet you and your better half. Just don't expect me to let you clean me out at that card game!

On a separate note, here's a heads up to Californians still waiting to take the plunge. Aerovironment has a grant from the California Energy Comission to provide free chargers to a small number of EV purchasers each month. The catch is that you have to have the dealer call in for you on the day of purchase (or lease), and they have to have a charger available for you on that day. That means first come first served, and they do not maintain a waiting list. The person I spoke to today told me that I was out of luck, and the next time they have chargers will be July 2. If what she said is true, it might be a good idea to be at your friendly dealer first thing that morning to close the deal and have them make the call. Of course that means waiting another week to get your new ride!

Happy travels,
Dave

State : WA
Leaf Trim, options : S
Downpayment : $1000 down
Monthly payment : $236/month
12 000 miles / year.

Is this a good deal, or can I do better?

waterbabyjj said:
It's (finally) time to add my tip of the hat to the ever growing list of Leafers who have benefited from the knowledge, generosity and... dare I say, fanaticism of Corina1231! Ron patiently walked me through the whole process, and even shepherded me though the wolf's den.. I mean dealer. Don't know how to thank you brother, but I sure was lucky to meet you and your better half. Just don't expect me to let you clean me out at that card game!

Happy travels,
Dave

Thanks for your kind words, Dave. It was really great meeting you and your wife and son. People ask why I do this after working my legal job all day? The answer is in the question! It's great to meet new friends with common interests, and in your case, a fellow older dad. Regarding the future card game, does the word sandbag mean anything to you?

You already have solar like I, so getting the Leaf was a no-brainer. Glad we could get you the SV with QC for the $1000 down, $225 a month, OTD w/taxes (lower taxes in SJ than some areas). You can afford still buy any accessories you need, including that rear camera which you claim you can hook up for $15? My daughter's Leaf will be right behind you so you can install one in hers. You engineers are amazing. I should probably tell the world that you were reading "Discover" magazine on Sunday morning when I called you. Who DOES that?

Cheers!

Ron

To the post:

Anyone here with high-mileage lease contracts? I want to get an idea what kind of number I should expect on a 20,000 m/year lease for 24 months, probably an SL but still undecided so any info can be useful. I'm eligible for the Leaf loyalty and VPP programs.

I just picked up my '13 Leaf S with Quick Charge, Glacier White from Nissan of Oakland, CA

36 month lease
24,000 miles per year
$305 per month + tax
Maintenance package thrown in after dropping the price from $316 to $305 per month.

Protection package included -I guess some sealant wax on the car, plastic film protecting bumper, door handles, door edges, nitrogen filled tires, etc.

First they said I don't qualify for Nissan's perfect tier credit rating for the promotional money factor. If I want the car, then pay another $16. I walked away. Next morning, I got a call back. Nissan qualified me for their promotional rate. Then dealer gave me another $10 off per month. I said throw in the maintenance package that covers me for 3 yrs and deal. Thrown in. Done.

Lease payment, tax, insurance, DMV. Total amount is equivalent to what I spend on gas per month. 90 miles commute each way.

Tip- Read the sales contact front and back. I didn't find anything wrong with it, but you just have to be on guard.

As I promised the salesperson who fought for me for deal, was to provide an evaluation of my experience. I'd say that Nissan of Oakland is what I expected from a dealership. You go on thet internet, find a car, negotiate the price and go back and forth until you get the number you want. Then go and test drive and finallize the numbers and contract.
But overall, the salesperson provided excellent service. Ask internet sales manager Esther. I'd also give props to the store sales manager. He was calm when I walked away from the deal, then came back and gave me a better offer. I wanted even more from the offer and he was able to work with me on it. Real professional.

Basically, I only had two main questions going in- What am I responsible in the aspects of wear and tear? What happens at the end of the lease? Both were spelled out on the contract.

Thanks, a couple of comments below.

machbird said:
Maintenance package thrown in after dropping the price from $316 to $305 per month.

I hope you didn't have to pay for it. The only maintenance needed for the first 72,000 miles is a couple of brake fluid changes and tire rotations. I rotate tires myself and when I'm lazy my local America's Tire shop does it for free.

machbird said:
90 miles commute each way.

Wow, hopefully you can quick-charge on your way, as even if you can do it on one full charge now you'll likely won't be able to in a year.

Btw, what is the residual % on your lease?

Yes maintenance thrown in after dropping to $305 per month. I was about to say no but I wanted more. All maintenance included means $0 for me. U get all u can get before u sign.

typo on miles. Actually 90 miles each day. 45miles each way. Chargers at work.

machbird said:
I just picked up my '13 Leaf S with Quick Charge, Glacier White from Nissan of Oakland, CA

36 month lease
24,000 miles per year
$305 per month + tax

Protection package included -I guess some sealant wax on the car, plastic film protecting bumper, door handles, door edges, nitrogen filled tires, etc.

First they said I don't qualify for Nissan's perfect tier credit rating for the promotional money factor. If I want the car, then pay another $16. I walked away. Next morning, I got a call back. Nissan qualified me for their promotional rate. Then dealer gave me another $10 off per month. I said throw in the maintenance package that covers me for 3 yrs and deal. Thrown in. Done.

As I promised the salesperson who fought for me for deal........

I wasn't going to comment on the $305 plus tax on the basic S w/ charger 24k mile a year "deal", or the part about getting the "protection package" on a lease, or the statement that "they got me qualified for the promotional rate", or even the worthless maintenance package that was "thrown in". And I still won't. Except to say that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

But, I can't let stand the comment that "the salesperson fought for me". Really? As someone who worked as a salesperson and sales manager at dealerships in my 20's and has basic life experience, please believe me that the salesperson is NEVER working for you. His or her JOB is to build customer trust and thereby create the ILLUSION that he's working for you. It is in every sales training manual ever written. His commission is directly related and dependent on how much you pay for the car. The reality is that he is going back in the Sales Manager's office and the two are conspiring to figure out how much money they can make off of you.

On a positive note, welcome to the EV world. The environment is that much better tonight!

Valdemar said:
Anyone here with high-mileage lease contracts? I want to get an idea what kind of number I should expect on a 20,000 m/year lease for 24 months, probably an SL but still undecided so any info can be useful. I'm eligible for the Leaf loyalty and VPP programs.
At today's average lease rates, in a metropolitan area of Southern CA, on the Base Leaf SL (no premium package) a 2 yr. 20k miles per yr., VPP lease, w/$1000 customer loyalty money deducted, the total cost of the ownership should run about $7500 plus $395 dispo fee upon turn in at end of lease.

machbird said:
As I promised the salesperson who fought for me for deal, was to provide an evaluation of my experience. I'd say that Nissan of Oakland is what I expected from a dealership. You go on thet internet, find a car, negotiate the price and go back and forth until you get the number you want. Then go and test drive and finallize the numbers and contract.
But overall, the salesperson provided excellent service. Ask internet sales manager Esther. I'd also give props to the store sales manager. He was calm when I walked away from the deal, then came back and gave me a better offer. I wanted even more from the offer and he was able to work with me on it. Real professional.

They sold you an inflated lease with a worthless Maintenance Package and Protection Package. No offense and I hope you enjoy the car, but I wouldn't call that professional.

winsats said:
Corina1231 said:
Winsats wrote:

Just wanted people to know, couple of weeks ago I had offered gwinnet place Nissan $225 otd for S + QC/splash/mats etc VPP for 24 months 15k miles/ year. I told them to not bother me if they cannot come to my price.

They called me today and said that my offer looks competitive and that they could do very close.

Typical dealer - "they could do very close". Why don't they just tell you what they can do? Dealer talk for "why don't you come back in so we can grind, confuse and abuse you some more?".

And while I am sounding off on dealers, a VPP price is $1000 under invoice. You either are getting the VPP price or you are not. Neither the deal you got or the one the other dealer said "they could do very close" is a VPP deal $1000 under invoice. Last week a poor guy posted that he got a VPP deal of $2000 down, $214 a month on an SV w/ QC/led. Two days later I helped a forum member get the same car for the TRUE VPP deal of $2000, 170 a month, $1000 under invoice. The dealers' MSRP was the same and their invoice was the same. Both dealers get $1000 back from Nissan for doing the "VPP" deal. 'Nuff said.

Corina1231,

The prices that you mentioned, is it in Georgia? Thanks.

Corina1231- I am still waiting on your reply...can you please mention the state when you put the prices on board. It certainly helps the future buyers to go with a reasonable bid rather than going with the least price in the country, each state is a different ball game.

winsats said:
winsats said:
Corina1231 said:
Winsats wrote:

Just wanted people to know, couple of weeks ago I had offered gwinnet place Nissan $225 otd for S + QC/splash/mats etc VPP for 24 months 15k miles/ year. I told them to not bother me if they cannot come to my price.

They called me today and said that my offer looks competitive and that they could do very close.

Typical dealer - "they could do very close". Why don't they just tell you what they can do? Dealer talk for "why don't you come back in so we can grind, confuse and abuse you some more?".

And while I am sounding off on dealers, a VPP price is $1000 under invoice. You either are getting the VPP price or you are not. Neither the deal you got or the one the other dealer said "they could do very close" is a VPP deal $1000 under invoice. Last week a poor guy posted that he got a VPP deal of $2000 down, $214 a month on an SV w/ QC/led. Two days later I helped a forum member get the same car for the TRUE VPP deal of $2000, 170 a month, $1000 under invoice. The dealers' MSRP was the same and their invoice was the same. Both dealers get $1000 back from Nissan for doing the "VPP" deal. 'Nuff said.

Corina1231,

The prices that you mentioned, is it in Georgia? Thanks.

Corina1231- I am still waiting on your reply...can you please mention the state when you put the prices on board. It certainly helps the future buyers to go with a reasonable bid rather than going with the least price in the country, each state is a different ball game.
Winsats,
I didn't reply because I didn't understand your question. It seemed to imply that the Nissan invoice for the same Leaf model and options was different in GA than in CA. I don't know why that would be true. Can you explain that to me? If anything, if they have to ship the car with CA emissions, the toughest standards in the country, our invoice could be a tad higher but not significantly.

My main point is that VPP eligible folks should simply ask to see the invoice (as we did when I helped folks with VPP deals here in CA, and every time the dealer tried to charge more at first!) and make sure that the dealer's selling price on the lease car is $1000 under invoice. You clearly can't take a dealer's word for it since we've had people on this forum post "VPP" deals up to $2000 more on the same car than other VPP folks and non VPP folks. Next, check all the other charges that are going into the lease price and make sure the dealer doesn't add for instance a "$699 administrative fee" as they did to a couple of unwitting forum posters. That is sheer profit and may as well have been added to the selling price of the car. It has the exact same effect on the eventual lease price. One would no longer be getting a TRUE VPP deal.

However, the dealer will still get his $1000 kickback from Nissan for doing the VPP deal by just entering the VPP employer code number on the contract (along with other Nissan Corp. dealer incentive $ based on favorable customer surveys, which by the way is doubled for the Leaf as compared to all other Nissan products). Yes, they often do ultimately make a profit on many of their below cost deals, folks.

Ps: I just checked the MSRP on 2 identically equipped Leaf models at your Stone Mountain Nissan and our Boardwalk Nissan, and they are the same or within $15. I have no reason to believe the dealer invoices are different.

This is one of my favorite classic partial posts that appeared on the forum recently. It further illustrates my point that you have to make the VPP price of $1000 under invoice happen. The dealer isn't going to hand it to you until you prove you know what you deserve:

"I placed an order today northeast of Cincinnati, OH for a Cayenne Red 2013 Leaf SL with the Premium Package and Floor Mats and Cargo Mats.

Dealer originally quoted $150 under invoice for VPP Plan, but later 'agreed' that Nissan has special $1,000 under invoice for VPP pricing at this time."

kikbuti
Cincinnati, OH

Hi I am looking to lease a 2013 Nissan Leaf SL and below are the numbers I got from my dealer. I feel I am getting tricked by the dealer with such a high down payment. Any tips/ suggestions would be much appreciated.

12k miles for 24 months

Mkt Value - $36, 005

Down payment - $1999
Fees + doc + license + acquisition + first month payment + Tax = $2038.71

Residual = 60%

Monthly Payment = $173.80

selectiveins said:
Hi I am looking to lease a 2013 Nissan Leaf SL and below are the numbers I got from my dealer. I feel I am getting tricked by the dealer with such a high down payment. Any tips/ suggestions would be much appreciated.

12k miles for 24 months

Mkt Value - $36, 005

Down payment - $1999
Fees + doc + license + acquisition + first month payment + Tax = $2038.71

Residual = 60%

Monthly Payment = $173.80

that's $8200 for 24 months?? really not that bad.. Just try to roll the tax/down payment into the monthly payments

Thanks for the quick reply dalamchops. Which of these numbers can I role into the monthly payment?
- Downpayment of $1999 and ?

Try to keep your drive-off costs as low as possible, that's what he means. The reason for that is if the car is totaled, or stolen and unrecoverable, you will lose your down payment. NMAC will not refund it even if the car's payoff is less than its fair market value, which is highly unlikely given the rather high residuals.

Back