2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
altoklez said:
Hi all.

Brought my new Pearl White Leaf with the light interior home. Deal in Maryland was 3k down and 214/mo - lease cost of $8,317. Then there is a $1000 excise tax credit from Maryland. I think I did OK. Would love to hear from other MD drivers - currently considering EVSE options.

R
What model Leaf, SV, SL? What options, if any? 24 or 36 month, miles allowance?

Bateman said:
Hey all, thought I would share the details of my VPP lease:

2013 SV with LED/quick charge package and mats. MSRP $34,xxx.
24 month, 24,000 mile lease.
$2,000 down, $157 a month. Down payment includes first month payment, but not the $395 dispo fee.
Plates and registration are included in that lease payment.
No sales tax on EVs in New Jersey.
$5,768 total cost of lease.

Me = very happy!
Congratulations. Best Leaf lease deal ever to come out of NJ!

SnakeEyePete said:
dndrich said:
Thank you all for the help with leasing. This board has been invaluable.

I picked up my silver Leaf 2013 SV with QC and floor mats today from Napa Nissan. I paid $2000 down plus $189 per month for 23 more months for a total of $6347 before disposition fee. My tax rate in Sebastopol is 9%, so that skews the numbers a bit. That was not a VPP deal. I think it is a very good deal. I am totally thrilled with the car. Drove it home from Napa Nissan 42 miles, and "Lucy" (that is what my wife wants to call her) drove just great.

Congrats on the new lease. It really is a good deal. My question is, the 9% tax is on the payment right? Unlike Georgia here the sales tax on the leasing is on the car's FMP, the tax itself will be like $1500 and your payment will be $60 more per month.......

The tax is on all money received by the dealer. So that includes the $7500 tax credit from the feds, plus tax on the payments. It is not on the value of the whole car.

Looking at my paperwork, I just realized that my lease is less than what I wrote since the first month's payment is part of the $2,000. Also, they quoted me this same VPP deal on an SV without the QC/LED package, but kept the numbers the same when they dealer traded for a vehicle with the package and could get it to me by the end of the month.

Updated info:
MSRP $34,615 (SV + QC/LED + Mats)
Gross Cap Cost: $31,121.30 + $595 acquisition fee = $31.726.30

$2,000 down
23 payments at $157.27
Total out of pocket $5,617.21 + $395 disposition fee at the end.

This included the $228 registration fees, $299 doc fee, $7.50 tire fee (?).
Depreciation listed at $2,139.12 and rent charge of $1,635.36.
0% sales tax on EV in NJ.
For what it's worth, they showed me my credit score of over 800 which put me in Tier-0 rates.

I thought I'd add a note of thanks to Corina1231 and all the other frequent posters for the many helpful tips.

I leased a 2013 Leaf SV + QC/LED/Floor mats this weekend from Serramonte Nissan in Colma, CA. I'm satisfied with our lease deal -- $1500 down and $195/month + $395 dispo fee = ~$6400 for a 2 year / 24k lease. Based on the advice I learned here, I sent emails to several local dealers and was able to hammer out a good package with Serramonte Nissan over email. The dealer experience with Serramonte was painless, with very little of the slime that I encountered when talking to some other places, like Boardwalk Nissan in Redwood City. They agreed to knock $200 off of our original deal once the dispo fee came up in the negotiations. I was in and out of the dealer in less than 2 hours, which wins bonus points for efficient use of my time...

It sounds like some others on the forum (Corina1231 included) negotiated even better deals this weekend -- congrats on that. Interestingly, I emailed and spoke with the folks at Premier Nissan in San Jose several times, and they seemed to have very little interest in trying to come up with a competitive offer. Sounds like I could still learn a few Jedi mind tricks...

After putting it off for a couple years I am finally ready to lease a Leaf. I'm looking to get an SL with the premium package. I haven't had time to go through the hours of negotiation at the dealer yet so the first quote through email that I got was $2000 down plus $329 for 24 months. That's a total of $9896 plus the disposition fee of $395, right? I realize that's high. I've tried looking though this thread to find other lease quotes for a 2013 SL in Virginia but I haven't found any. I think the tax rate is 5% here. Does that sound right? Can anyone in VA give me an idea of what their totals have been? Thanks!
Mike

Hi all,

Newbie here in the market to lease a new '13 Leaf SV. I've been trying to get comparables to the figures I just got from a local dealer - Lake County, IL. My lease term is with a higher mileage, and therefore I can't seem to find any comparables. Please let me know if this deal is worth considering.

'13 SV with floormats
18K miles, 24mo lease.
$533.78 (first month, ttl, fees, etc), $314.78/mo after, haven't gotten a call back on the dispo fee yet.
Total cost of lease = $533.78 + $7239.94 (23 x $314.78) = $7773.72 + dispo fee
Let's assume the dispo fee is $400, then the total cost is $8173.72. Is this deal worth considering? Doing a bit of math for the extra miles (36000 miles instead of the normal 24000 miles that the majority of the folks here are getting), I am thinking a deal with the total cost of around $7000 sounds more like music to my ears. Thoughts guys?

Thanks,

I did a lot of debating between a 24,000 mile two year lease or a 30,000 mile two year lease. I could either pay upfront for the additional 6,000 miles or I could pay $0.15/mile for every one over 24,000.

In the end, I wasn't sure if I'd really come close to 30,000 miles. Being that it's primarily my wife's car, we may not even get to 24k miles. The cost per mile in her ICE vehicle was close to $0.12 a mile, so this was almost a wash if I did overshoot the 24k limit.

So the question is how much is the dealer charging for the extra 12,000 miles? Are you sure you'll be using them? If you can find out and deduct that from the $7732.72 price, you can better compare your rate compared to what the other SVs drivers are leasing.

ampere said:
I thought I'd add a note of thanks to Corina1231 and all the other frequent posters for the many helpful tips.

I leased a 2013 Leaf SV + QC/LED/Floor mats this weekend from Serramonte Nissan in Colma, CA. I'm satisfied with our lease deal -- $1500 down and $195/month + $395 dispo fee = ~$6400 for a 2 year / 24k lease. Based on the advice I learned here, I sent emails to several local dealers and was able to hammer out a good package with Serramonte Nissan over email. The dealer experience with Serramonte was painless, with very little of the slime that I encountered when talking to some other places, like Boardwalk Nissan in Redwood City. They agreed to knock $200 off of our original deal once the dispo fee came up in the negotiations. I was in and out of the dealer in less than 2 hours, which wins bonus points for efficient use of my time...

It sounds like some others on the forum (Corina1231 included) negotiated even better deals this weekend -- congrats on that. Interestingly, I emailed and spoke with the folks at Premier Nissan in San Jose several times, and they seemed to have very little interest in trying to come up with a competitive offer. Sounds like I could still learn a few Jedi mind tricks...
I really appreciate your post, ampere. I was a new car sales manager 25 years ago and other than the internet things haven't changed much. It's all old fashioned horse trading. I have leased 5 cars in my lifetime including the last 2 Leafs from Premier in San Jose. I also am an arbitrator and mediator now and preside over negotiations for a living. So I have an expertise through life experience that I didn't have when I was young.

Most importantly, the only reasons I get the deals on Leafs that I get for me and others is due to what I've learned from OTHERS on this forum and the special relationship I have with Premier, my neighborhood dealer. I knew the prior sales manager through a friend at church. He helped me with my first deal and introduced me to others who are still there. I pop by once in a while to charge my car and occasionally chat with the folks there, I also have referred others to them on occasion and made sure they got bottom line deals. Of course, the dealer always swears that they lose $ on everyone whom I refer (yeah, right).

You did great on your deal, especially since you had no prior dealings with them. I suggest you give them high ratings and send them a copy. Also, since people change so quickly in the industry save a copy and show it to them next time you buy a car. Also, stop in when passing to charge the car and chat with the salespeople once in a while. I learned long ago life is all about relationships. I love to help people generally, but I wouldn't be completely truthful if I didn't acknowledge that I know I'll benefit as well. Enjoy your great car! Ron

Bateman said:
Looking at my paperwork, I just realized that my lease is less than what I wrote since the first month's payment is part of the $2,000. Also, they quoted me this same VPP deal on an SV without the QC/LED package, but kept the numbers the same when they dealer traded for a vehicle with the package and could get it to me by the end of the month.

Updated info:
MSRP $34,615 (SV + QC/LED + Mats)
Gross Cap Cost: $31,121.30 + $595 acquisition fee = $31.726.30

$2,000 down
23 payments at $157.27
Total out of pocket $5,617.21 + $395 disposition fee at the end.

This included the $228 registration fees, $299 doc fee, $7.50 tire fee (?).
Depreciation listed at $2,139.12 and rent charge of $1,635.36.
0% sales tax on EV in NJ.
For what it's worth, they showed me my credit score of over 800 which put me in Tier-0 rates.
Bateman, you are a stud. The bottom line is that you ended up with a great deal on the SV with the expensive QC/LED option for the price of a very good deal on a basic SV without the option. Also, NJ is one of the toughest places to land any good deal, so you now have the record NJ deal on this forum by a mile. Congratulations!! Ron

nguyenpleaf said:
Hi all,

Newbie here in the market to lease a new '13 Leaf SV. I've been trying to get comparables to the figures I just got from a local dealer - Lake County, IL. My lease term is with a higher mileage, and therefore I can't seem to find any comparables. Please let me know if this deal is worth considering.

'13 SV with floormats
18K miles, 24mo lease.
$533.78 (first month, ttl, fees, etc), $314.78/mo after, haven't gotten a call back on the dispo fee yet.
Let's assume the dispo fee is $400, then the total cost is $8173.72. Is this deal worth considering? Doing a bit of math for the extra miles (36000 miles instead of the normal 24000 miles that the majority of the folks here are getting), I am thinking a deal with the total cost of around $7000 sounds more like music to my ears. Thoughts guys?

Thanks,
Here is what I know:

1) Illinois Leaf deals are generally a little hgher than most states. I don't know why, but my guess it's partially due to your short supply of dealer inventory due to lower demand because of weather/reduced range.

2) The price they quoted you is high - especially if you are only getting mats and aren't getting the expensive QC/ LED option - they do that so when you knock it down later you believe you got a "good deal".

3) The dealer never quotes you a dispo fee because it doesn't involve them so why complicate things on their end. It is almost always $395, appears in the Nissan Corp lease agreement, and you first are made aware of it in the finance office when you sign. It is something you pay directly to Nissan with your final payment. It is waived if you purchase or lease any new Nissan from any Nissan dealer upon turning in your car. It is designed as an incentive to get you to buy or lease another Nissan.

4) Leases normally give you 12k or $15k, not 18k miles, so you'll find no comps anywhere on this board.

5) If you can live with 15k miles a year, a fair price in Illinois (which is a little higher) is about $7250, including the dispo fee, IF it is the SV with QC/Led and mats options. It is very hard to find an SV without that option but If you can get a BASIC SV with mats only, a fair price in Illinois would be $6750.

6) Regarding your 18k a year offer, I would like to see you get your total cost around $7700 IF it is an SV with QC/LED and mats. Cost per mile for the extra miles decrease as you get higher mileage than usual leases (eg. 18k, instead of $12k or $15k). However, if your SV doesn't have the QC/LED option, I wouldn't pay more than $7200 even in Illinois.

7) You have some work to do to solicit a better deal - if you are patient and work several dealers, in time you will likely succeed. They aren't going to hand it to you. They make their money and bank on customer confusion, impatience and emotion.

Best of Luck! Ron

VAMike13 said:
After putting it off for a couple years I am finally ready to lease a Leaf. I'm looking to get an SL with the premium package. I haven't had time to go through the hours of negotiation at the dealer yet so the first quote through email that I got was $2000 down plus $329 for 24 months. That's a total of $9896 plus the disposition fee of $395, right? I realize that's high. I've tried looking though this thread to find other lease quotes for a 2013 SL in Virginia but I haven't found any. I think the tax rate is 5% here. Does that sound right? Can anyone in VA give me an idea of what their totals have been? Thanks!
Mike
VAMike, that price is crazy even for VA who has some of the highest Leaf prices in the country (according to folks on this forum), about fourth behind Hawaii, Alaska, and Florida of those who have posted on this Forum.

A fair price in VA (which is expensive) for the SL with Premium package on a 2 yr., 12k mile a year lease is around $8700, including all TTL and Dispo fee (down plus total of payments plus Dispo fee). In CA, we can get it for under $8000.

Corina1231 said:
nguyenpleaf said:
Hi all,

'13 SV with floormats
18K miles, 24mo lease.

Thanks,
Here is what I know:

1) Illinois Leaf deals are generally a little hgher than most states. I don't know why, but my guess it's partially due to your short supply of dealer inventory due to lower demand because of weather/reduced range.

2) The price they quoted you is high - especially if you are only getting mats and aren't getting the expensive QC/ LED option - they do that so when you knock it down later you believe you got a "good deal".

3) The dealer never quotes you a dispo fee because it doesn't involve them so why complicate things on their end. It is almost always $395, appears in the Nissan Corp lease agreement, and you first are made aware of it in the finance office when you sign. It is something you pay directly to Nissan with your final payment. It is waived if you purchase or lease any new Nissan from any Nissan dealer upon turning in your car. It is designed as an incentive to get you to buy or lease another Nissan.

4) Leases normally give you 12k or $15k, not 18k miles, so you'll find no comps anywhere on this board.

5) If you can live with 15k miles a year, a fair price in Illinois (which is a little higher) is about $7250, including the dispo fee, IF it is the SV with QC/Led and mats options. It is very hard to find an SV without that option but If you can get a BASIC SV with mats only, a fair price in Illinois would be $6750.

6) Regarding your 18k a year offer, I would like to see you get your total cost around $7700 IF it is an SV with QC/LED and mats. Cost per mile for the extra miles decrease as you get higher mileage than usual leases (eg. 18k, instead of $12k or $15k). However, if your SV doesn't have the QC/LED option, I wouldn't pay more than $7200 even in Illinois.

7) You have some work to do to solicit a better deal - if you are patient and work several dealers, in time you will likely succeed. They aren't going to hand it to you. They make their money and bank on customer confusion, impatience and emotion.

Best of Luck! Ron

Thanks Ron. Definitely I am going to have to do a little more work in order to get the price down. This forum has been extremely helpful in my quest for a 1st ever EV. I will post the numbers as soon as I can secure a lease. Thanks.

Corina1231 said:
VAMike13 said:
Mike
VAMike, that price is crazy even for VA who has some of the highest Leaf prices in the country (according to folks on this forum), about fourth behind Hawaii, Alaska, and Florida of those who have posted on this Forum.

A fair price in VA (which is expensive) for the SL with Premium package on a 2 yr., 12k mile a year lease is around $8700, including all TTL and Dispo fee (down plus total of payments plus Dispo fee). In CA, we can get it for under $8000.

That's about what I was guessing. Any idea what a good cost on a 3 year lease would be? It sounds like most people are going for the 2 year leases now because the 3 year isn't as good? Thanks!

VAMike, that issue has come up several times on this forum. Since it is a pain to go through 70 pages to find the discussions, here is the consensus:

Historically, someone willing to lease a car for 3 years always got a lower cost per year than someone willing to only lease for 2 years. It makes sense because a car depreciates most in the first year, second most in the second year and less every year after. A lease price is a function of renting a car and paying the depreciation on the car over 3 years (hence, the residual).

We haven't found that to be true for the Leaf. One of the theories why include that we suspect the Nissan wants to collect the. $7500 rebate from the Feds over 2 years, not 3 for obvious reasons. Whatever the reason, it is a fact that dealers are pushing the 2 year and aren't giving good deals for the 3 years, so suffice to say they are making more on the 2 year.

Ask about the 3 year, though, if you want it. Then analyse the per year cost and decide between the two options. PushPak and a couple other people on this forum went with the 3 year and the best they could get was a deal where their cost per year was the SAME as their 2 year lease offer. Good Luck!

OK, heres the purchase I just completed in Atlanta for an SV no options (except floormats), with VPP. Let me know if I got hosed. 2yr 12k/mi per yr. I'll be as detailed as possible.

GCC:$30,992.24
CCR:$5,332.81
ACC:$25,659.43
Residual:$19,791.00
Depreciation:$5,868.48
Rent charge:$1,701.60
Monthly payment=$315.42

First month's payment as down payment, monthly payment includes $1,527.19 in GA taxes, GA 5k tax credit not included

Total cost=$315.42*24+$395(Dispo Fee)=$7,965.08=.33 c/mi

With GA tax credit:
$7,965.08-$5,000=2965.08=.12 c/mi

I should mention I was Tier 1 credit not 0, I think that added slightly to my payment.

Not sure why that depreciation number is so high. My depreciation was $2,139 for an SV+LED/QC. I would think that number would be constant across May 2013 leases. Looks like the dealer took advantage of the fact that you get a $5,000 credit from GA and pumped up the depreciation. I'm paying $2,000 down / $157 a month for a car with $1,600 in options more than yours. Aside from not paying sales taxe on EVs here, you should be in line with my rate.

VPP is VPP. It doesn't matter if you are in NJ or GA or CA. The only difference is going to be state taxes and localized incentives. Does Nissan/NMAC take the $5,000 GA credit like the $7,500 fed or do you have to apply it yourself?

Bateman said:
Not sure why that depreciation number is so high. My depreciation was $2,139 for an SV+LED/QC. I would think that number would be constant across May 2013 leases. Looks like the dealer took advantage of the fact that you get a $5,000 credit from GA and pumped up the depreciation. I'm paying $2,000 down / $157 a month for a car with $1,600 in options more than yours. Aside from not paying sales taxe on EVs here, you should be in line with my rate.

VPP is VPP. It doesn't matter if you are in NJ or GA or CA. The only difference is going to be state taxes and localized incentives. Does Nissan/NMAC take the $5,000 GA credit like the $7,500 fed or do you have to apply it yourself?

I have to apply it myself on my taxes at the end of the year.

infounlim said:
OK, heres the purchase I just completed in Atlanta for an SV no options (except floormats), with VPP. Let me know if I got hosed. 2yr 12k/mi per yr. I'll be as detailed as possible.

GCC:$30,992.24
CCR:$5,332.81
ACC:$25,659.43
Residual:$19,791.00
Depreciation:$5,868.48
Rent charge:$1,701.60
Monthly payment=$315.42

First month's payment as down payment, monthly payment includes $1,527.19 in GA taxes, GA 5k tax credit not included

Total cost=$315.42*24+$395(Dispo Fee)=$7,965.08=.33 c/mi

With GA tax credit:
$7,965.08-$5,000=2965.08=.12 c/mi

I should mention I was Tier 1 credit not 0, I think that added slightly to my payment.
I don't ever want to be the one to burst anyone's bubble and I could be wrong but my understanding of the GA tax credit is that it is "20% of what you pay for the EV up to $5000". In your case, wouldn't that be 20% of $7500 (dispo fee not considered in cost of vehicle by taxman) for a total of $1500, not $5000?

I also have some issues with some of your other numbers including the selling price of the car which I believe is well over $1000 more than the VPP price should be on that SV with mats only. Also, your total lease cost of almost $7,500, without counting the dispo fee, is about $2000 higher than other VPP customers have payed for that car on a 2 year, 12k a year mile lease.

Like I said, I sincerely hope that I am wrong about some or all of what I have posted.

My Deal

Nissan Leaf S with QC/Backup Camera package.

Onetime down: $477 ( includes fist month lease payment)
Lease: 23 payment on $191(including taxes).
Despo Fee: $395

Back