2012 center brake light question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieranmullen

OK I never noticed this but it does light up when I press on the brakes but it is supposed to be on when the exterior lights are on? I just leave the lights on automatic and usually dont think of it. Just wanted to know if it is normal or broken since many cars leave it on. I would have thought they would catch something light that on the inspection.

kieranmullen said:
Yes but normal brake lights are also lit up when the lights are not just not as high as when the brake is activated thanks

The center brake light, officially called the Center High Mount Stop Light (CHMSL), is supposed to light up ONLY when the brake pedal is pressed, regardless of whether the tail lamps are off or on.

If you see any that are partially lighted when the taillights are on, there is an electrical problem somewhere with the car.

No, those are tail lights. They are a completely separate system. They may be functionally combined with the brake lights on some vehicles - and not on others - but they serve a completely different purpose and implementation. It would be illegal to have the CHMSL lit when the brakes (or high regen) are not applied....

kieranmullen said:
Yes but normal brake lights are also lit up when the lights are not just not as high as when the brake is activated thanks

On What year models does the high regen operate the brakes? I know the the Teslas do this. Thanks

TomT said:
No, those are tail lights. They are a completely separate system. They may be functionally combined with the brake lights on some vehicles - and not on others - but they serve a completely different purpose and implementation. It would be illegal to have the CHMSL lit when the brakes (or high regen) are not applied....

kieranmullen said:

Back