2011 Leaf range anxiety

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
We don't know whether or when the "lizard" battery will available in parts of the world outside North America, do we?
Good point! No, we don't! Nissan certainly has the possibility to optimize the batteries differently within their three different battery plants around the world. Whether they will do that or not is anyone's guess.

I think this is an ideal situation for a LEAF. The climate is not that hot (90 degrees F) or cold (60 degrees F), distances are short, speeds are low, roads are flat.

The car you're looking at has very low mileage. And if used in Japan, not exposed to the continuous, searing, dry heat of the US Southwest where all the battery degradation issues seem to cluster.

You can check if it's set for 80% charge by pushing the blue button on the right side of the center stack, and selecting "charging timer." Then select "set timer 1" and on the next menu select "Charging %."

Also, if the A/C is on when the car is turned on the estimated distance will read lower than if the the A/C is off.

Sounds like an ideal car for you! Go for it! Imagine never having to buy gas again! You're going to love it.

alcalira said:
I think this is an ideal situation for a LEAF. The climate is not that hot (90 degrees F) or cold (60 degrees F), distances are short, speeds are low, roads are flat.

The LEAF battery degrades almost as fast in persistent warm weather as it does in occasional hot weather. There is a reason why Florida locations are right up there with southern Arizona in degradation rates. We don't get very hot down here. The temperature has never gotten above 100F (38C). But the temperature stays warm year round, just like it does in all other low-elevation tropical climates.

Bottom line is that if you live in any location where the climate designation has the word "tropical" in it, just don't get a LEAF with a first-generation battery.

Hello people, i have some great news ( i hope)

i have been able to discuss with my employer, and i am now allowed to charge at work. So, simple question now, i can do it without any problem, but will it be

possible to do the trips (32 miles) even when the battery is around 90,000 miles? - Note, i now have the ability to charge at home AND at work.

Thank You

Kevin

hi all,

i am looking for a 2012 version now. hopefully it will help. what i understood going thru ur replies, i better avoid the 2011 Leaf. I'll keep u posted.

Thank You Again.

kboojhowon said:
possible to do the trips (32 miles) even when the battery is around 90,000 miles? - Note, i now have the ability to charge at home AND at work.
At 55-60 mph maximum, 32 miles one way and assuming you are able to drive smoothly the whole way - no frequent hard braking so you can drive efficiently - should not be a problem for quite a long time. 5 years putting on 15k miles/year should be fine unless it's VERY hot where you live.

Only time would be an issue would be very slow speeds with lots of heater use.

2012 LEAF vs 2011 does not really matter - they're basically the same car and battery pack.

Back