'16 30 kWh pack - backwards compatibility and warranty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stoaty said:
My guess is that you haven't been watching for the last 4 years how the 2011 Leaf owners have been screwed by Nissan.
Remember, not everyone with a 2011 got screwed. As a hot weather Leafer, I had my battery replaced at just over 2 years. Yes, I stood on the shoulders of giants - the Phoenix Leaf Owners and Tony Williams, in particular - but I don't feel screwed.

jhm614 said:
Remember, not everyone with a 2011 got screwed. ...
Just because Nissan took care of maybe 20% of people with a 2011 LEAF with a non-prorated capacity warranty grossly short of what they stated when they marketed the vehicle sure doesn't seem like much to praise.

People like leafer77 that lost four bars a couple of thousand miles too late, and lots of people next year that lose the fourth bar a few months too late don't see much to praise.

Even if I do get a capacity warranty replacement, I will honestly tell everyone that Nissan sold a defective product and that they did not properly support what they sold.

Their only real support is the supposedly subsidized battery replacement price.
The rest has been just bad behaviour.
That is the truth everyone should be telling about Nissan.

+zillions!

Mark my words: There will never - NEVER - be a Nissan battery upgrade for the current version of the Leaf!

Stoaty said:
My guess is that you haven't been watching for the last 4 years how the 2011 Leaf owners have been screwed by Nissan.

TimLee said:
Even if I do get a capacity warranty replacement, I will honestly tell everyone that Nissan sold a defective product and that they did not properly support what they sold.
But how do you really feel? You shouldn't keep your emotions bottled up like that... ;-)

So you will honestly tell people:
"I was sold a defective product that Nissan didn't support.. um.. Yes, I did get the battery replaced for free, but"...
Not sure how that will go over, but keep spreading the word!! ;-)

No one here disagrees that Nissan couldn't have handled it better and that some people who lost their bars after the warranty got a raw deal...

But, they are a car company...
Those guys frequently do the "almost sorta" right thing when they are forced to... Not just Nissan.

And it's great that you will tell your truth, and others will tell their truth.
But no one really should tell only one side of the truth..
I think it's good for people to know ALL the truth..

But that's just me..

Have a good one..

desiv

TomT said:
Mark my words: There will never - NEVER - be a Nissan battery upgrade for the current version of the Leaf!

That is correct, the key word is Nissan upgrade, however a 3rd party upgrade product is a possibility. It won't be cheap, and volumes will be very low.

TomT said:

A 50% price drop on the 24kWh pack will be equally good, if not better than an upgrade.

Stanton said:
I also think the "Nissan bashing" is over done considering the capacity warranty/battery replacement program (with what appears to be a "better" battery) is in full swing (forced or not).

It would seem the point of view on this subject has to be radically different depending on which side of the capacity warranty window you are.

TomT said:
+zillions!

You might be right.

For right now I'm going to be optimistic and hold out hope. It looked for the longest time that Nissan would never put a price on a replacement pack, and somewhat surprisingly they did.

I think we could all list a litany of reasons why they should, not just for our benefit, more like their own, but they may not see the EV world as we'd like them to. It's a opportunity to shine or to suck.

Valdemar said:
It would seem the point of view on this subject has to be radically different depending on which side of the capacity warranty window you are.
Irrespective of which side someone is on - I think the small minority should stop thread-cr*pping in every thread.

Capacity warranty on older Leafs is absolutely OT here.

evnow said:

Is it? As someone who is affected by the crappy original pack and unfair warranty I want to know if an upgrade path is a possibility. How is that OT?

GRA said:
cars routinely lasting only about three years for what they were bought for, leasing is the only reasonable option for most LEAF owners.

In hot places, perhaps. In very hot places I agree.

Seems like Leafs might last a lot longer in reasonable climates like Norway or Seattle. Like a decade longer.

Oh, but do keep up the Fool Cell Propaganda.

Valdemar said:
evnow said:

Is it? As someone who is affected by the crappy original pack and unfair warranty I want to know if an upgrade path is a possibility. How is that OT?
Because it has nothing to do with MY16.

You can always discuss the implications of MY16 on warranty issues in an existing (or new) thread.

We don't want a minority of MNL users to derail every thread with old warranty issues - since almost anything can be linked to old warranty issues.

evnow said:
...Irrespective of which side someone is on - I think the small minority should stop thread-cr*pping in every thread...
Good luck with that, Moderator...

Whatever these people's actual underlying problems are, it's pathetic to see how they formed their little community on MNL fixated on how they became victims of Nissan's evil scheme to rob them of their...capacity.

Back on-topic.

Even if Nissan does make a ~30 kWh replacement battery pack available for 2011-15 LEAFs, I doubt they will sell very many.

Even with capacity loss over time and kWh throughput, most LEAFs will continue to remain valuable enough as lower-range BEVs, to preclude the expense of replacing the OE packs, with either ~24k or ~30 K packs.

As long as the government incentives allow you to buy or lease a NEW BEV at very low cost, most people will probably just continue milking the taxpayers by replacing their BEVs as their OE battery packs lose capacity, rather than paying for replacement batteries out of their own pocket.

LEAF worldwide sales to date, ~180,000.

LEAF replacement battery sales worldwide to date, still 0?

ishiyakazuo said:
My concern is that it will be a while before they offer such upgrades, due to battery production volumes. Look at how long it takes to get a replacement battery for existing LEAFs that desperately need them... there's not going to be suddenly a glut of modules available to swap in. I think that may be the reason they don't offer upgrades in the short term, if anything.

Manufacturing capacity shouldn't be an issue. Iirc, the New Smyrna plant was supposed to have the capacity to manufacture something like 200,000 LEAF packs a year. Any slowness in battery replacement is due to a lack of will, not an overburdened factory. Having an upgrade path for Gen1 LEAF would be a tremendous boost to public perception of EVs, and a good boost to the Nissan brand, perhaps helping to erase some of the ill will that resulted from their mishandling of the Gen1 battery degradation issues.

But I'd be pleasantly surprised to see any corporate bean-counters actually taking that into account.

evnow said:
Valdemar said:
Irrespective of which side someone is on - I think the small minority should stop thread-cr*pping in every thread.

Use the "add foe" feature--it will hide that person's posts and generally make life more enjoyable. There are a few on this board that make it their life mission to b*tch in every single post they make.

Back on topic; it will cost real money to go from a $9,200 2013 buyout to a 150+ mile range Leaf. It will be a $20,000 or more upgrade, hence why I just may buy mine out.

asimba2 said:
Use the "add foe" feature--it will hide that person's posts and generally make life more enjoyable. There are a few on this board that make it their life mission to b*tch in every single post they make.

I don't feel I do exactly that. I can only tell it is very difficult to restrain yourself from adding some bitterness to posts after you owned your Leaf long enough, and you certainly didn't so please, no need to lecture others. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Valdemar said:
....after you owned your Leaf long enough, and you certainly didn't so please, no need to lecture others. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Wait is everyone entitled, or just people who owned their Leafs long enough?
I'm confused over that...

desiv

desiv said:
Valdemar said:
....after you owned your Leaf long enough, and you certainly didn't so please, no need to lecture others. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Wait is everyone entitled, or just people who owned their Leafs long enough?
I'm confused over that...

desiv

Everyone, but it shouldn't give them the right to shun others.

Valdemar said:
Everyone, but it shouldn't give them the right to shun others.
Everyone has the right to shun anyone for any reason...

I rarely do (don't think I have ever?), but if someone wants to.. great. Freedom to shun... :D
I'm sure I've been shunned by other people.. I tend to speak my mind.. ;-)

desiv

Back