12V Battery Dead

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copdoc

1) Is anyone keeping a log of the incidents of 12V battery deaths? If so, add mine: 14 months old, 9800 miles.

My husband went out on Sunday night and the car would not turn on, no interior lights, back hatch inoperable, etc. My car is driven about 25 miles a day over multiple trips about six days a week. I charge to 80% (AV L2 at home) on average every other day. The car is primarily under cover at home though I occasionally park it on the roof at work to warm up the car (5 hours of sunlight on the 5-watt paltry solar panel.) Nissan Roadside assistance is towing it away. (Sad!)

2) Besides the one poster I found who suggested telling Nissan to turn off Carwings entirely, are there other steps that I can take to keep my second 12V battery in better shape?

Checking the water level in all the cells of the 12v battery
is a good idea. The level should be up just enough to
touch the bottom of the curved black plastic "legs" that
stick down into the cell, inside each filler hole.

Remember to fill only with distilled water.

Normally, driving the car a few times a week should keep
the 12v battery sufficiently charged. However, accidently
leaving the car On in some way instead of fully off, will
often discharge the 12v battery enough to keep the
car from powering On, since there is not enough 12v
supply to run the electronics that turn the car On and
"activate" (connect) the Traction (high-voltage) Pack.

Many people have accidently left the car partly On,
so get in the habit of checking that the car is really Off,
and no lights, etc. are left on.

The 12v battery might be OK, but just need charging up
to a level that will allow the necessary electronic control
modules to "boot" and close the Battery Pack relays.

copdoc said:
2) Besides the one poster I found who suggested telling Nissan to turn off Carwings entirely, are there other steps that I can take to keep my second 12V battery in better shape?

If the car has finished charging, remove the plug. Unfortunately, the 12V charging algorithm doesn't come into play when you're connected to an EVSE, and also the car itself consumes more 12V power when plugged in. So unplug, especially if the car is going to be sitting over a weekend, or multiple days without being driven. It's kind of the opposite of a Tesla.

Sorry you had a problem. Not sure why you're assuming the battery is dead. You may have left something on and simply drained it. The battery is puny so it wouldn't take a lot. We've seen this before.

I would have tried to jump the car before I resorted to the hassle of towing. Even a small battery assist device should provide sufficient power to turn the car on.

Back