12 volt heated blanket x 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed in my car that once you hit the floor / windshield it does switch to full outside air. I can tell becasue if you go back in to just floor and do the press / hold you can hear it switching back to partial.

I have also noticed with the fan on the lowest speed or even the second speed the heater will cycle on and off becasue it can make more heat than the fan is extracting and dumping in to the car, so I need speed 3 or more (depending on the temp in the car) to keep the heater running constantly with the recirc on.

jjeff said:
^^^ correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't engaging any form of defrost(even partial defrost) disable recirc and even partial recirc? I'm pretty sure if you have recirc engaged and push the mode button to anything that shows air going to the windshield, it reverts to 100% fresh air.
Also while I agree with running fan at min speed while any form of fresh air is active, if I'm using 100% recirc(as I do for morning warmup in bitter cold) I find I get more heat by using a medium fan setting and since I'm set to 100% recirc or no fresh air, the air in the car just gets warmer and warmer. Using a low fan or any fresh air during morning warmup results in a barely warm car(at least when in the teens or below zero F).

It doesn't in my car. I will recheck that. You can hear flaps moving, even between fresh/partial/recirc mode. Except defrost button (not mode).
Full recirculation is the most energy efficient mode but that will result in fogging up if anybody inside the vehicle is breathing :D
With full recirculation mode higher fan speed does add to efficiency (only if vehicle is equipped with heat pump).
It is important to monitor heat pump and PTC element activation with LeafSpy. With high temp settings or high fan speed
PTC might start consuming a lot which is less efficient than heatpump.
Heatpump is also more efficient at higher driving speeds. It is also limited to ~50% during standstill.

You should warm up your car with preheat (still plugged in), not when you are in the vehicle but before.

Preheat uses full recirculation with some fresh cycles once in a while.

For rapid vehicle heatup period full recirc is acceptable until moisture starts to condense. With very cold weather (-10C and less) there is not a lot of moisture and this can be done for much longer. Still minimal temperature setting is recommeded for economy.
Heat pump is capable to draw 2kW for long period during driving and high fan speed. This results up to 7kW of heat, depending on outside temperature.

Grousa said:
Hi fellow Leaf owners I'm Graham from Morecambe UK i've just joined and this is my first post

I've had my leaf a few months now and love it,
However, have found it's on the destination/charge-up boarder line at times and have nearly frozen my two 16/17 year olds and my mother of 89, needless to say they were none too happy with me and my newly acquired electric buggy and so-

Can I use 4 x 12 volt heated blankets whilst driving (2013 2nd generation Leaf) to save battery energy when i need to keep the heater off.
Will this deplete the 12 volt battery to cause it to stop or will the internal battery DC charger from the big battery balance levels out or am I pissing in the wind with that idea

I find the heated seats work just fine for me and use much less power than the dash heat. Even set on low they are enough to drive in shirtsleeves even when the outside temps are just above freezing and have little impact on range. I drive a 2014 S.

RockyNv said:
Grousa said:
Hi fellow Leaf owners I'm Graham from Morecambe UK i've just joined and this is my first post

I've had my leaf a few months now and love it,
However, have found it's on the destination/charge-up boarder line at times and have nearly frozen my two 16/17 year olds and my mother of 89, needless to say they were none too happy with me and my newly acquired electric buggy and so-

Can I use 4 x 12 volt heated blankets whilst driving (2013 2nd generation Leaf) to save battery energy when i need to keep the heater off.
Will this deplete the 12 volt battery to cause it to stop or will the internal battery DC charger from the big battery balance levels out or am I pissing in the wind with that idea

I find the heated seats work just fine for me and use much less power than the dash heat. Even set on low they are enough to drive in shirtsleeves even when the outside temps are just above freezing and have little impact on range. I drive a 2014 S.

the issue is that the back seats don't have heaters anymore unless you have the top trim

Rear seats have only butt heater. This is not technically a real seat heater. anyway.
As a cost cutting measure it is not acceptable.

arnis said:
Rear seats have only butt heater. This is not technically a real seat heater. anyway.
As a cost cutting measure it is not acceptable.

well someone thought it was... not the first head scratcher. on another note, this is first morning of one of those "once in a decade" cold snaps. Going to Bellingham so forced to take the company car (a rental no less) but still have to make the 23 journey to the office. Looks like a good chance to test my blanket...

Back