12 volt heated blanket x 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powersurge said:
I think you called it... You may be tinkling into the breeze on this one... I, like you tried experimenting with 12v electric blankets when I got my Leaf. Those blankets use up ALOT of watts of power, and more than one from the front outlet "cigarette lighter" plug may blow fuses. If you are carrying 4 people at the same time, it is worth it to run the heat at about 69 degrees constantly, and you will not lose that much range. I would say that electric blanket for either the front or the back will work... How about just regular blankets, and you will feel like you are in a "one horse open sleigh" during the winter...

Powersurge,

nice one, sounds good, and the sleigh too

cheers
Grousa

jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:
As usual, the OP didn't specify a year or model Leaf. If it's a 2013 or newer, then defrosting with a low heater setting isn't a problem. It should also, IIRC, have a second power port in the back...?
The OP said in the OP they had a "(2013 2nd generation Leaf)" and being a UK Leak I can't say exactly what options it has but my '13S only has one accessory outlet under the dash, nothing in the back :)
Not sure though if it has the heatpump or just resistive heater like my S.....

It's a Tekna which here in the UK is top of the range - heated leather front and rear and as far as I know it has the more efficiant heat exchanger system

Grousa said:
jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:
As usual, the OP didn't specify a year or model Leaf. If it's a 2013 or newer, then defrosting with a low heater setting isn't a problem. It should also, IIRC, have a second power port in the back...?
The OP said in the OP they had a "(2013 2nd generation Leaf)" and being a UK Leak I can't say exactly what options it has but my '13S only has one accessory outlet under the dash, nothing in the back :)
Not sure though if it has the heatpump or just resistive heater like my S.....

It's a Tekna which here in the UK is top of the range - heated leather front and rear and as far as I know it has the more efficiant heat exchanger system

only one 12v outlet under the dash

Grousa said:
jjeff said:
:lol:
Yes preheating can help a lot, an electric blanket(using a heavy duty 12v splitter) or two(but not more) would help and use main heat/defrost as needed. Like your idea of warmer climate, bitter windchill today in my neck of the woods and only going to get colder from here, lucky to get above the single digits by Friday :( Currently 81(27c) in Florida :cool:

jjeff,
Sounds good and yes two's the limit
Where on this earth are you?
Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota, center of the US(East/West) but not far from the Canadian border, where we get all our cold weather from :|
Unfortunately ~1500 miles from Florida and those 80 degree temps :(

dress for the weather. setting temp to 70º is ludicrous. no need for coat, blanket or even clothing of any kind!

I use heat sparingly but its set to 65º and that is almost unbearably warm. Granted it doesn't get that cold here (as I type its 24ºF which is about 10-15º below normal) I do have blankets and used to have seat heaters front and back which helps a TON. You may find just seat heaters and a good blanket is more than enough to keep anyone warm. And yes, hats are essential. Show your team pride! Go Seahawks!

Now my 2016 S30 does not have backseat heaters so may have to run the heat a bit more but I do end up toggling defrost several times during the trip but its rarely on long enough to warm up. I use a swivel handle glass wiper thing that has a micro fiber cloth that is rough enough to polish the interior glass and that helps a ton to keep windows much clearer.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsmile.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2FB00KB5G0EO%2Fref%3Dox_sc_act_title_1%3Fie%3DUTF8%26psc%3D1%26smid%3DA3A4RLEWA38K33&h=XAQHOKrjp

Grousa said:
How exactly would I hardwire in a battery maintainer lead?

Depends on what leads came with your battery maintainer.

But you simply want one red wire scurely attached to the +ve terminal clamp of the battery routed to the grille area.
And one black wire following the same path but bolted to a good chasiss ground rather than the -ve terminal of the battery.

Ideally, you want to have the quick connect plug that probably came with your maintainer protruding from the grille, so use that for your red and black wires, extending them as needed to reach the battery area.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Now my 2016 S30 does not have backseat heaters so may have to run the heat a bit...
OK I have to ask, what is a S30 :?
If it's a Leaf S model with the 30kwh battery are you saying Nissan removed the backseat heaters? that would be a big backstep for a EV IMO! Heck living in MN I wouldn't purchase a pure EV unless it had heated seats all around along with the heated steering wheel, with those the only reason I have to use the heater is for defrosting/defogging where it's a safety issue to drive with an obstructed windshield.

jjeff said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Now my 2016 S30 does not have backseat heaters so may have to run the heat a bit...
If it's a Leaf S model with the 30kwh battery are you saying Nissan removed the backseat heaters? that would be a big backstep for a EV IMO! Heck living in MN I wouldn't purchase a pure EV unless it had heated seats all around along with the heated steering wheel, with those the only reason I have to use the heater is for defrosting/defogging where it's a safety issue to drive with an obstructed windshield.

That is exactly what I am saying... To get rear seat heaters AND steering wheel heaters, you have to jump to SV. there isn't even a package option to add that to the 2016's. I have a few blankets I used in my 2013 (which did have back seat heaters) so decided to bump up the electric blankets (for $25) for those colder days with my "colder blooded" passengers. :)

But they added so much more. Cruise control, B mode, better backup camera...

I did miss the steering wheel heater at first but was browsing around looking for "secret santa" stuff (its a gift giving thing where everyone buys a $25 gift and then we draw numbers out of a hat to choose the presents. Its kinda of a contest to get either the weirdest, coolest or most useful for $25. not an easy thing to do!) and found these hand warmer things that regenerate themselves so they are reusable. I already drive around in Seahawks Gloves which works 95% of the time but its going to be below freezing the next few days so will be trying the handwarmers out!

Grousa said:
LeftieBiker said:
I believe the blanket I use has two settings. Find one like that and you should be able to use both at once, on Low. At least until the ferrets chew through the wires.

Oh, and the battery test you did doesn't really show the actual range loss you'd experience. That would be a lot less. I suspect that your 12 volt battery, like most Leaf batteries, is chronically undercharged and was already low when you tested it. If you hardwire in a battery maintainer lead, and use that to top off the 12 volt battery when you charge the car, you will do fine with two heated fleece blankets on low.

Positive terminal to the battery positive bolt, negative lead terminal to one of the bolts on the top of the stack of components in the motor compartment (not the negative battery terminal) and run the cable through a small drilled hole in the charge port compartment. If the maintainer's hardwire lead is too short you may have to extend it using similar two wire cable. This way you can plug in a maintainer as easily as plugging in the car. A 0.75amp Battery Tender Jr will work, but it's slow. I also used a 2 amp Diehard charger/maintainer (they use the same leads) but it died after a year and a half. So much for the name.

LeftieBiker said:
Grousa said:
LeftieBiker said:
I believe the blanket I use has two settings. Find one like that and you should be able to use both at once, on Low. At least until the ferrets chew through the wires.

Oh, and the battery test you did doesn't really show the actual range loss you'd experience. That would be a lot less. I suspect that your 12 volt battery, like most Leaf batteries, is chronically undercharged and was already low when you tested it. If you hardwire in a battery maintainer lead, and use that to top off the 12 volt battery when you charge the car, you will do fine with two heated fleece blankets on low.

Positive terminal to the battery positive bolt, negative lead terminal to one of the bolts on the top of the stack of components in the motor compartment (not the negative battery terminal) and run the cable through a small drilled hole in the charge port compartment. If the maintainer's hardwire lead is too short you may have to extend it using similar two wire cable. This way you can plug in a maintainer as easily as plugging in the car. A 0.75amp Battery Tender Jr will work, but it's slow. I also used a 2 amp Diehard charger/maintainer (they use the same leads) but it died after a year and a half. So much for the name.

You do not need to wire the negative lead to a bolt.... Connect both leads Red/ Black to the battery. Since the connection is made away from the battery, you do not need to worry about a spark (the reason people connect the negative jumper cable to the frame instead of the battery.)

PS - to the original poster. When I got my Leaf, I also went through the scientific "thought process" of how to save power to get more range... Yes, an electric blanket works, but... In winter, the Leaf is a Bitch with windows fogging, so you also have to run the defroster. After my third winter I have found that (especially with 4 passengers) it is worth the 5-10% loss of range to have windows clear AND passengers comfortable. Many "Leafers" on this site try to technologize saving the last mili-watt of energy, and I really don't think it is worth it. So if you use an extra 10% battery on a long ride is it going to kill you? Electricity is cheap enough.

Quick And Easy - (TRY FIRST) Heater on 65-69 degrees, and press the top left button to be "un-lit" (outside air comes in), no A/C. This works for most cases. If windows still fog, keep same temperature settings, and press the "defrost" button. Most people do not know that the heater (even on my "S" car) does not use much power when the inside has warmed.... Most of the power consumption is starting up the heater and initially heating the car. Also (if the windows still fog, experiment with running the defroster "WITH the A/c" and with the recirculation button "LIT - outside air does not come in".

DaveinOlyWA said:
jjeff said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

That is exactly what I am saying... To get rear seat heaters AND steering wheel heaters, you have to jump to SV. there isn't even a package option to add that to the 2016's. I have a few blankets I used in my 2013 (which did have back seat heaters) so decided to bump up the electric blankets (for $25) for those colder days with my "colder blooded" passengers. :)

But they added so much more. Cruise control, B mode, better backup camera...
Wow, one step forward, two back......
Living in a cold climate the seat and most especially steering wheel heaters were what really sold me on the '13 Leaf, and the S model I drove. Personally I don't care about cruise on a car I only use in the city, I reserve cruise for highway trips in our Prius. B mode might be nice but I get pretty good regen just using ECO on my '13. I guess knowing that if I were purchasing a new Leaf I'd probably go with the SV and skip the S, thats probably Nissans plan, force people to jump to the next level by purposely omitting things on lower trim models ;)
Of course knowing what I do now about the heaters I'd probably have went with the SV just to gain the more efficient heat pump heater but unfortunately I didn't know and my saleslady didn't know enough about the Leaf to point that out :( but truthfully I like the almost instantaneous heat I get from my air heater so it's not all bad.

And don't forget you can use the heat on re-circ to use WAY less power or the trick I learned here last year the partial re-circ. Set it to floor heat at 70F or whatever and then press and hold the re-circ button for a second or two, it will blink, let it go and now you running partial re-cir air and partial fresh air. It warms up faster and uses less power but still keeps the windows from fogging up, if they start to fog you have to press the re-circ button again to get all fresh air. With just me in the car I can run partial all the time, but with 4 wet kids after swim practice at 10F, it's full defrost :)

BrockWI said:
And don't forget you can use the heat on re-circ to use WAY less power or the trick I learned here last year the partial re-circ.
I'll have to give that a shot, hopefully it will also work on my '12 SL as thats the car that sits outside in bitter cold temps. The problem with normal morning timer preheat is it seems to turn the fan to almost 100% fan and you and I know what bringing in 100% COLD outside air does......basically just tempers the air :( I guess I understand their reasoning of not recirculating the air, to reduce moisture and possible frosting of the windshield but I think I'd get much better morning warmup lowering the fan to say 2 and getting hotter air.....unfortunately on morning warmup it defaults to AUTO which cranks the fan. I'll try the partial recirc thing tonight and see if that helps.

Yes, I just do mine manually as well, just hit the timer override button, which starts the car charging again, then start the car and flip the heater on in full re-circ. In 5 minutes it is nice and warm.

I should add I tried the heated blanket route and found a regular blanket worked darn near as well. I used an old twin electric blanket pulling 70w. It was nice becasue it was warm, but a cheap "Sherpa" blanket seems to hold your body the heat better. I leave it lying over the passenger seat with the seat heater on and when my daughter gets in she quickly jumps under it and says ahhhhhhh.

BrockWI said:
Yes, I just do mine manually as well, just hit the timer override button, which starts the car charging again, then start the car and flip the heater on in full re-circ. In 5 minutes it is nice and warm.

I should add I tried the heated blanket route and found a regular blanket worked darn near as well. I used an old twin electric blanket pulling 70w. It was nice becasue it was warm, but a cheap "Sherpa" blanket seems to hold your body the heat better. I leave it lying over the passenger seat with the seat heater on and when my daughter gets in she quickly jumps under it and says ahhhhhhh.
Well I tried the partial recirc trick on my '12 but it was a no-go. No combination of holding down the recirc or fresh air button(they are separate on SL models) resulted in the flashing light, it did work on my '13 S though, but I'd really like it on my '12. Makes me wonder if it's because it's a SL models or maybe all SL/SV models with the 2 buttons for recirc work this way :?
I do have a question for you though, since it sounds like regularly use this trick. Does partial recirc go OFF when you switch modes, especially to a mode with defrost(either full defrost or what I use mostly, floor heat and partial defrost)? It seemed that way to me(on my '13 S) as I'd hold the button while on say full floor heat and it would flash, then I'd switch through a mode that had defrost and land back on floor heat, then I'd hold the recirc button down again and it would flash again, making me believe it was OFF and I was turning it back on....partial recirc does seem to stick after powering down the car though, that is if I enable that mode and power down the car, when I power it back up and hold down the recirc button it doesn't flash, so I assume it stuck ON and I just turned it OFF. Also if in any mode that has defrost holding down the recirc button does nothing, no flashing.
Sure wish there was a way to let me know partial recirc was ON, if there is I'd like to know......

powersurge said:
LeftieBiker said:
Grousa said:

You do not need to wire the negative lead to a bolt.... Connect both leads Red/ Black to the battery. Since the connection is made away from the battery, you do not need to worry about a spark (the reason people connect the negative jumper cable to the frame instead of the battery.)

PS - to the original poster. When I got my Leaf, I also went through the scientific "thought process" of how to save power to get more range... Yes, an electric blanket works, but... In winter, the Leaf is a Bitch with windows fogging, so you also have to run the defroster. After my third winter I have found that (especially with 4 passengers) it is worth the 5-10% loss of range to have windows clear AND passengers comfortable. Many "Leafers" on this site try to technologize saving the last mili-watt of energy, and I really don't think it is worth it. So if you use an extra 10% battery on a long ride is it going to kill you? Electricity is cheap enough.

Quick And Easy - (TRY FIRST) Heater on 65-69 degrees, and press the top left button to be "un-lit" (outside air comes in), no A/C. This works for most cases. If windows still fog, keep same temperature settings, and press the "defrost" button. Most people do not know that the heater (even on my "S" car) does not use much power when the inside has warmed.... Most of the power consumption is starting up the heater and initially heating the car. Also (if the windows still fog, experiment with running the defroster "WITH the A/c" and with the recirculation button "LIT - outside air does not come in".

Hi Powersurge, that all sounds good. I'm not worried about the cost of the electric It was just the fact that if the range is absolutely on the borderline a loss of perhaps 8 miles might not get us home or to a charge point.

I'll be going through my first winter with my Leaf. we've already gone through a bit of cold and wet and frosty so I've already been trying to juggle all the above, the recirculation seems to fog up the windows after a while but i hadn't tried it with A/C on but I thought the A/C was for cooling only in the summer, anyway I think i'm going to try very low heat on feet and window and see if that does the trick. I heard that my second Generation has a heat exchanger so maybe even on fresh air it might lose much to the outside, I suppose it depends on how efficient the exchanger is.

Thanks for the advice and good luck with your winter expeditions
Grousa

jjeff, unfortunately as soon as you switch to floor/windshield if switches to full fresh, I wish it would stay partial, but nope. Basically anytime you can hit the full re-circ button you can do the long press for a partial.

BrockWI said:
.. Basically anytime you can hit the full re-circ button you can do the long press for a partial.
Good way to visualize it, thanks :)
Still wonder if there is a way to enable this trick on a SV/SL model.....anyone else with those models using this partial recirc trick and if so how do you turn it on?

You are confusing proper jump-starting procedure with the actual reason for doing the above in this case: to avoid screwing up the readings from the voltage sensor on the negative terminal.

Still wonder if there is a way to enable this trick on a SV/SL model.....anyone else with those models using this partial recirc trick and if so how do you turn it on?

It works fine on my 2013 SV. Just remember that it only works in the modes that allow recirculation to be selected, as already noted. That means it will work in floor only mode (which will keep the windshield defogged at moderate or higher fan speeds), but not in floor + defrost.

Back