10x increase in Li-Ion battery capacity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walterbays

http://www.gizmag.com/harnessing-viruses-to-build-a-better-battery/17200/

University of Maryland research uses bio-engineered virus to create a more efficient regular structure of the electrodes at the microscopic level. Clearly not something that's going into this year's Leaf nor next year's Focus, but if this or any similar battery technology advance works out in production, then EVs could get a lot cheaper and have a lot more range.

These type of press releases come out monthly, year after year. Instead of posting the PR of what may be let's post when they are available to use. There are hundreds of these in the last few years, none in actual production.

Carbon nano tube enhanced Lion batteries are being produced now but I guess a 1.25x improvement isn't enough :)

But the 99x discharge rates are impressive.

ActaCell licenses research from the University of Texas at Austin and has used it to make battery cells that use a traditional approach to making lithium ion batteries but without blending in nickel or cobalt, which companies typically add to compensate for the short life cycle of these batteries. If the company can demonstrate the technology works and can scale up, it could eventually grow to service the market for mass consumer electric and hybrid cars.
Source: Clean Technologies.

Back