100.00 battery lease is a steal??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

Isn't this 100 a month battery lease going to be a boom for people buying used. If you bought new, then you lost alot of money, but wont there be a huge market for 5 year old leafs that havent had the battery replaced yet. if you can pick up a 5 year old leaf for 5/6k, and then pay 100 a month for a new pack, it will almost be like driving for free. you will be saving at least 100 a month on gas which cancels out the 100 you're paying. you only paid 5/6k for the leaf, so you will be able to get that back when you sell. The car is virtually free.
kbb recently said the 2013 will hold 35% of sticker after 3 years,before the 7500. the S is 28k. thats 10k after 3 year. At 5 years we should be at about 5/6k. There is definitely going to be a floor to what a leaf sells at used no matter how old it gets. I dont think you will ever see a leaf sell for 3k like a used small car thats 8 to 10 years old. as long as someone can drive it for 100 a month, it will bottom out around 5k i would assume. anyone disagree.

evboy said:
Isn't this 100 a month battery lease going to be a boom for people buying used. If you bought new, then you lost alot of money, but wont there be a huge market for 5 year old leafs that havent had the battery replaced yet. if you can pick up a 5 year old leaf for 5/6k, and then pay 100 a month for a new pack, it will almost be like driving for free. you will be saving at least 100 a month on gas which cancels out the 100 you're paying. you only paid 5/6k for the leaf, so you will be able to get that back when you sell. The car is virtually free.
kbb recently said the 2013 will hold 35% of sticker after 3 years,before the 7500. the S is 28k. thats 10k after 3 year. At 5 years we should be at about 5/6k. There is definitely going to be a floor to what a leaf sells at used no matter how old it gets. I dont think you will ever see a leaf sell for 3k like a used small car thats 8 to 10 years old. as long as someone can drive it for 100 a month, it will bottom out around 5k i would assume. anyone disagree.

It sounds good but the market is not keeping up with the proper values -- there are so many dealers out there selling used 2011 and 2012 Leafs, right now, with beat up batteries that have lost bars, for thousands more than their 'proper' value -- and lots of people are dumb enough to pay up. I have seen +$20-22k online.

I called one dealer out on a Leaf that had lost 4 bars to cut his price accordingly from his sticker of $16,800. The photos and Carfax showing it was a Phoenix car don't lie. The dealer absolutely refused to negotiate with me. Wouldn't go down by $1. Then, he pulled the pics of the instrument panel showing lost bars off the web ad!!!!!! And I bet some poor sucker eventually bought it. ("Oh it just needs a good overnight charge....")

If anything, people should start demanding Carfax include battery capacity data/bars for used EVs. It's so crucial when determining the value and health of the vehicle, aside from mileage and other measures used for determining the condition of ICEs. Otherwise they really risk someone trying to sue them.

Yes the rental plan may help, but used Leafs are in many cases still being overpriced at retail.

And remember that they only have to get you back to 12 bars one time on the "rental" plan. After that, it is only 9... So, the range on 9 bars may ultimately have to be sufficient for you...

Also, whomever buys your car later MUST agree to the same rental deal or they get a car with no battery since the battery now belongs to Nissan...

hyperlexis said:
Yes the rental plan may help, but used Leafs are in many cases still being overpriced at retail.

Personally I will hold out for another steal lease rate at the end of the calendar year again.

I am driving a new 2012 SL for 2k down and $127 a month. started my two year lease on Christmas Eve.

Now if I had higher mileage concerns, perhaps a plan as you propose would be more cost effective.

hyperlexis said:
...It sounds good but the market is not keeping up with the proper values -- there are so many dealers out there selling used 2011 and 2012 Leafs, right now, with beat up batteries that have lost bars, for thousands more than their 'proper' value -- and lots of people are dumb enough to pay up. I have seen +$20-22k online...

Actually, I think the people who are "dumb" are those selling their 2011-12 DC-capable LEAFs for anything less than ~$18k-$20k (depending on mileage and condition).

Right now the superior arbitrage option would seem to be for a "warm" or "cool" climate used LEAF buyer to pick up a nine or ten capacity bar "hot" climate LEAF at a large discount, and benefit from the "70%" battery warrantee at the earliest possible date.

Back on-topic, we have no idea if the 100.00 battery lease is a steal?? or whether such a program will increase or decrease LEAF resale values, since the terms and conditions of this "program" have not been released.

I personally believe it's a fantastic deal. I bought my 2012 fully not expecting any kind of capacity loss warranty, and assumed that in 6 years time when my financing is over, I could be looking at a battery replacement. Between all the money I am saving on maintenance and fuel, to be able to join a $100 a month program to get a replacement battery is brilliant. I already charge my battery to 80% and that gives me two full days of use. Hell, the daily commute for this car is just under 40km, so even a 50% capacity would work fine. If I keep the car for another 6 years after joining the battery program (and assuming they put me up to 9 bars) that would put me into 2024 for an extra $7200.

Mind you, I can imagine that six years from now the whole battery landscape will change and there will either be a different program and options available, so talking about down the road is just speculation.

to me, the steal part is when nissan steals the battery you paid for when you bought the car, and then charges you ~$100 forever to rent back another one.

also too, isnt it way past time for nissan to give us a battery price and provide the much promised Q&A to clear up all the questions and confusion on their steal-the-battery plan?

thankyouOB said:
...to me, the steal part is when nissan steals the battery you bought when you bought the car and then charges you ~$100 forever to rent back another one.

Not too concerned about this personally, since battery purchase options will almost certainly be available, and almost certainly be cheaper for those whose driving habits result in longer battery life.

If you are a hot-climate resident who makes frequent long trips (especially if you lots of daytime or DC recharging) resulting in your LEAF battery pack suffering from long periods of very high battery temperatures, the ~$100 forever option (depending on the exact terms) may result in a very large subsidy to you.

A dumb move (IMO) by Nissan to subsidize present and future LEAF sales to those for whom the LEAF is the less-than-optimal vehicle, but it could be great for some individual owners, the added costs to Nissan having to be passed on to the rest of the LEAF owning/leasing public.

="thankyouOB"

..also too, isnt it way past time for nissan to give us a battery price and provide the much promised Q&A to clear up all the questions and confusion on their steal-the-battery plan?

Yes it is.

After the initial announcement on the battery lease option, I had to really let the idea soak in a bit. IMO, the $100/month lease option _may_ make sense for some people who put a lot of miles on their LEAFs. The caveat though, is on what future terms and conditions will apply if this program follows through. For instance, if there are severe mileage caps, this may be a non-starter for me. I would like the lease program a whole lot more if the battery lease assures 10 bars (or 80%) versus 9. Would be great also if the lease also covers the inverter, charger, and controller for the car.

My car is in San Jose but spends weekdays in Sunnyvale. Having bought the car, at 36K miles now, with 1 capacity bar gone, at 22.5 months, we still love our LEAF. We use it daily and still travel throughout the Bay Area on weekends. We never anticipated using this car as our primary car, or expected to drive it so much. Our ICE van now mostly stays in the garage.

If, despite the degradation, we still can continue to drive at this rate our car will go past 100K miles in another 4 years. Hopefully I won't have to lease the battery prior to that point--but if I do it will provide at least a tether until I find another EV. Of course this depends if other dealers are willing to allow trade-ins of LEAFs with a leased battery. Worst case I can imagine is that I'll end up leasing (this time) another LEAF (which may not be a bad thing, considering how many improvements were made on the '13 versus '11, and I'm sure more will happen by '17).

The only way I would buy a used Leaf that was already on this plan was if the Leaf was free. Would anyone consider buying a used ICE car with a $100/mo engine lease, even if the engine came with a warranty? I doubt it.

I believe that it is only available to the original owner... A second owner can only inherit it... But like much else in "the plan", there are a great number of gaps in the information...

ELROY said:
Is the battery lease even available to out of warranty..second hand LEAFS?

TomT said:
ELROY said:
I believe that it is only available to the original owner... A second owner can only inherit it... But like much else in "the plan", there are a great number of gaps in the information...
I would think that if the original owner had not entered the program, then a second (or third or....) owner should be able to start a lease.

TomT said:

ELROY said:

the gods and goddesses (so far they are all gods) at nissan have not confirmed or denied any of this.

but they have promised a Q&A to answer our questions, which they agree are worthy of their attention.

Pardon me if I don't hold my breath waiting for real answers! :lol:

thankyouOB said:
the gods and goddesses (so far they are all gods) at nissan have not confirmed or denied any of this.
but they have promised a Q&A to answer our questions, which they agree are worthy of their attention.

TomT said:
Pardon me if I don't hold my breath waiting for real answers! :lol:

thankyouOB said:

It is all a matter of proper technique:

http://www.heritage-history.com/books/horne/rome/zpage320.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Determining the future of batteries at Nissan"

(note how the advisory group in the back is trying to accomplish a favorite outcome buy playing lovely tunes during the ceremony, while the owners obediently and patiently kneel at the altar, while the wise men read from the entrails)

Jim said:
The only way I would buy a used Leaf that was already on this plan was if the Leaf was free. Would anyone consider buying a used ICE car with a $100/mo engine lease, even if the engine came with a warranty? I doubt it.

You would if that ice car came with 100 dollars of free gas every month.

many of you guys drive alot of miles from what I have read, so to be able to buy a 5 year old leaf that gets you 150 dollar to 200 dollars a month in free gas for 100.00 a month would be a a incredible deal. I thought the 100 lease deal was for any owner that wanted a new battery pack. 1st 2nd or third. If its just the original owner then how is a second owner supposed to buy a new battery pack outright, if they wont announce prices.

evboy said:
Jim said:

You would if that ice car came with 100 dollars of free gas every month.

many of you guys drive alot of miles from what I have read, so to be able to buy a 5 year old leaf that gets you 150 dollar to 200 dollars a month in free gas for 100.00 a month would be a a incredible deal. I thought the 100 lease deal was for any owner that wanted a new battery pack. 1st 2nd or third. If its just the original owner then how is a second owner supposed to buy a new battery pack outright, if they wont announce prices.

all your answers are in the Q&A from nissan, which is linked to here:

http://www.tinyurlursoscrewed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Back