“80%” charge no longer 80% - what does it mean?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twingo

I am now 14 months and 13K miles in. I only charge to 80% and live in So. Ca.; where the weather doesn’t vary much and rarely gets above 90 deg. I drive conservatively. But over the past few months I have begun to see the following:

- My battery strength indicator is still at the maximum # of bars.
- When I start the car in the morning, the remaining range indicates less than
it used to be. Was 75~80 miles, now 65~70.
- When I leave in the morning, the SOC # of bars is either one less than in the
past or if the same as in the past, quickly drops one bar soon after leaving home.

Any idea what could cause this? Seems like "80%" has become something less.

It is possible that you have some capacity loss. The only way to know for sure is put a GID meter on it and measure the capacity. That said I really do not put any faith in the GOM numbers, they vary too much by previous driving habits.

As for sometimes showing 9 bars, you can read up on this thread.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KJD said:
It is possible that you have some capacity loss. The only way to know for sure is put a GID meter on it and measure the capacity. That said I really do not put any faith in the GOM numbers, they vary too much by previous driving habits.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come down to Poway on Saturday morning (see link in my signature line) and we'll charge your car and then put a Gidmeter on it. Please don't waste any time at a dealer for this, as their preprogrammed answer is:

1. We don't cover battery capacity loss
2. Any loss is normal anyway
3. Here's your battery report with all 5 stars. See, everything is fine !!!
4. You must have thought about quick charging (since there are none in San Diego) and that caused the problem
5. Can we interest you in a new car?

KJD said:

Thanks! I'm an idiot and never seem to find those obvious threads via the search. :x

TonyWilliams said:
KJD said:

Come down to Poway on Saturday morning (see link in my signature line) and we'll charge your car and then put a Gidmeter on it. Please don't waste any time at a dealer for this, as their preprogrammed answer is:

1. We don't cover battery capacity loss
2. Any loss is normal anyway
3. Here's your battery report with all 5 stars. See, everything is fine !!!
4. You must have thought about quick charging (since there are none in San Diego) and that caused the problem
5. Can we interest you in a new car?

I'll see if I can get over to Poway next week. I'm in Escondido.

TonyWilliams said:
:lol:
I think about quick charging all the time, especially quick charging in Vacaville. I should be more careful.

TonyWilliams said:
Come down to Poway on Saturday morning (see link in my signature line) and we'll charge your car and then put a Gidmeter on it.
I would like to take advantage of this offer too, Tony, if possible. This is the first meeting in several months that hasn't conflicted with my pursuit of a PCA autocross season championship, so I think we can make it. Though we have no indicated/perceptible capacity loss yet after 18,000 miles (no bars lost yet, range still seemingly similar to new, within the expected variation due to temps and driving style), I have been waiting for Phil's scan gauge to come out and have never had a Gidmeter on the car, so I don't really know if there is any incremental loss without measuring SOC directly. Are you going to have a portable L3 charger at the event? I am just wondering if there would be time to get 100% charges on all the cars that might need it to get home, as well as doing others just for testing purposes? We can easily make it roundtrip from La Jolla without any opportunity charging, and I don't want to take any electrons from someone who might really need them to get home. :)

TT

LEAFfan said:
Tom, you will need 100% L2 charging to get an accurate reading. QCing, even to '100%', stops way short of L2.
Good point, I didn't think of that. There are some L2 stations nearby the meet, but possibly not enough time to accomplish a good charge and test that way with only a few hours available in the morning.

Thx,
TT

Back