jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: Nissan Leaf rental

Tue May 25, 2021 6:00 am

nikhileneryg wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:43 pm
Great discussion - curious though. Has anyone here gone actively gone searching for EVs to rent? If so, why?

What about the ICE usual rental isnt good enough that you went hunting for the EV option?
What great discussion? I don't see it.

Who are you working for? A little more disclosure is needed.
ICE free since '18 / over 110K 100% BEV miles since '14
LEAF 2013 SL (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18, 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%)
Tesla S 75D (3/17, 50K mi)
Tesla X 100D (12/18, 33K mi)
8.9kW Solar PV and 2x Powerwall

knightmb
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291

Tue May 25, 2021 10:37 am

Just in case the new user isn't trolling, a Leaf rental is necessary if your own Leaf is getting some kind of warranty work and you can't drive it for a day (or more). My wife had some work done on her Leaf (she had the heater coil issue on her 2013 and was getting it replaced under warranty), so they "rented" her a brand new 2015 Leaf to drive until they could get it fixed.
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2018 Leaf SL - (Manufacture Date February 2018)
2013 Leaf SV - (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles)
Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency

nikhileneryg
Delivery Date: 23 May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 3:17 pm

Thank you @knightmb - I am curious and here to learn. Not a troll in the least. Please read on and hope that helps you understand where I am coming from.

To all of those who are questioning my intent -

Who do I work for? Myself :) The difficulty in renting an EV while traveling and when my personal car got totaled, sent me down a road of trying to figure out alternatives. Didnt find any that fit my particular use(yes I know turo exists, it doesnt work for me!).
Figured I'd look around to see if I was the only person with this problem. Decided that if an EV rental service was missing in the marketplace, it was something I was passionate about and wanted to build/solve.

As I started my research on how to build a solution to this problem, I realised I had to go back to step 1 - Learn the real problems of my potential customers and figure out how many people like me exist who think it is a genuine problem. Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_development .

In a nutshell, I am a builder/problem solver who is in the early phases of learning about this problem space and being an engineer by training is not helping me write well enough to win you over. That is about all. Want to learn more? I've already put out my details into the thread for us to have a face to face conversation or voice call. Pasting it here, if that helps - https://calendly.com/nikhil-eneryg/30min

Why did I start this thread?
Like I've said before, I am a fellow EV owner. I've owned a Model 3 that got totaled a few months back. Recently got myself a Model Y, but had also considered the Nissan Leaf. To @WetEVs point, going back to an ICE car has felt like going back 20 years each time when I rented a car and so I want to solve the problem of short term EV availability(potentially rentals). If I wanted to invest a lot of time into doing this, I wanted to be sure that I was not self-projecting too heavily. The best way to solve that is to speak to like minded individuals(like all of you on this forum) and understand their problems with securing EV rentals.

Happy to answer any more questions about why I am doing this.

knightmb
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291

Tue May 25, 2021 3:29 pm

nikhileneryg wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:17 pm
Thank you @knightmb - I am curious and here to learn. Not a troll in the least. Please read on and hope that helps you understand where I am coming from.
The dealership also had an in-house car rental, so they gave her the rental for free, basically was a new 2015 Leaf (work was done in 2015), we already had an L2 charger at home and the QC networks setup on our phones, etc. No need to switch to a gas vehicle then.

Unfortunately, from what I gather recently talking to them, the dealerships (in my area) don't do that anymore. :(
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2018 Leaf SL - (Manufacture Date February 2018)
2013 Leaf SV - (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles)
Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue May 25, 2021 3:36 pm

^^
That is a believable story. Start there in the future.
And please tell us that you have never been involved with a company that starts with 'F' and ends with 'x'

Have you considered buying a cheap LEAF just to rent out on Turo ? It would let you gauge a local market.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr @28k miles. 10/21: 53.4 Ahr @ 40k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

nikhileneryg
Delivery Date: 23 May 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 4:10 pm

SageBrush wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:36 pm
^^
That is a believable story. Start there in the future.
And please tell us that you have never been involved with a company that starts with 'F' and ends with 'x'

Have you considered buying a cheap LEAF just to rent out on Turo ? It would let you gauge a local market.
Noted @SageBrush on setting up context.

And yes, I solemnly attest that I have never been involved with a company that starts with F and ends with X, but now I am curious which one that would be :)

About renting out a LEAF, yes, I have in fact considered that. Figured that would be step 2 after first talking to folks online.

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue May 25, 2021 6:07 pm

nikhileneryg wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:10 pm
Figured that would be step 2 after first talking to folks online.
People can be quick to raise their hand on the internet but often disappear when it comes time to pay. I remember this most vividly in the year or two before the GM Volt came to market. GM was impressed by the large number of people that signed an internet petition requesting that GM take the Volt from prototype to market, and they decided that it meant 60k sales a year, and optimistically up to 200k sales a year then or soon afterwards. The reality turned out to be a small fraction of those lofty numbers and the Volt only lasted one upgrade cycle before it was killed off.

So reading that people would *love* to rent an EV is all well and good, but talk is cheap. And I suspect that the car people end up renting fills the following priorities first:

Convenient
Completes the use case without drama
Is not much more expensive than a non EV alternative

Rental for EV tyre kicking or rental while a car is in for repair are I suspect a minority of the rental market.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr @28k miles. 10/21: 53.4 Ahr @ 40k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”