So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went out to blow off some charge today and got some figures for 75mph and for 65mph.

First some observations:

1) It is VERY difficult to maintain a steady 75mph on LA freeways, at ANY time during daytime hours.

2) There is not much rhyme or reason as to why you appear to get more out of one bar than you do over another. Because speed is a constant, I guess it has to be the terrain if it's not random. So what I've tried to do is average over 3 or more bars.

3) I got more out of a bar at 65mph that I expected. Since I normally drive to work at 65mph, I've been seeing the results of that more than I have driving home (so top of the pack vs. bottom of the pack) and have been getting less (more like 6.5 miles to a bar). It's almost like it could be the bars at the top of the pack yield fewer miles than those at the bottom of the pack, and it may be necessary to reverse this experiment to make sure that's not so. Any opinions on that hypothesis?

So here are my figures:

75mph - 5 miles per bar
65mph - 7.5 miles per bar

Hate to be "that guy" but I told you guys ages ago that I thought the difference between the two was greater than 20%, and nobody bought into it!

BTW, did we decide that each bar represented ~2kW? Because I saw another thread where the poster was talking about 2.9kW per bar?

mwalsh said:
BTW, did we decide that each bar represented ~2kW? Because I saw another thread where the poster was talking about 2.9kW per bar?
That is if you want to move up a bar because of regen. Otherwise it is 2 kwh.

75mph - 5 miles per bar
65mph - 7.5 miles per bar
That would translate to

75mph - 60 miles
65mph - 90 miles

though, last few miles you can't actually drive at that speed because of turtle mode. I guess these are without climate control ?

evnow said:
That would translate to

75mph - 60 miles
65mph - 90 miles

though, last few miles you can't actually drive at that speed because of turtle mode. I guess these are without climate control ?

Woke up with this on my mind. Remember that you don't get a full measure of range off that first bar - I generally only get ~3.5 miles out of it. So realistically....high 50s @ 75mph and mid 80s @ 65mph.

Today was a pretty mild day today, so I was driving around with climate control off. I put it on ECO mode and took all surface streets. I went 55.5 miles and arrived back home with 38 miles remaining. That seems pretty darn good to me. I've definitely noticed, as others have, that freeway driving at 60+ miles absolutely slaughters your range. The heater is bad for range too, but not nearly as much as the freeway...

I have seen many test of range, including many miles through "extra-urban" roads.

Does somebody have an idea of the range if we drive only in city ?

navidad said:
I have seen many test of range, including many miles through "extra-urban" roads.

Does somebody have an idea of the range if we drive only in city ?

It depends on your hypermiling skills.. and that does not include drafting unsafely behind anyone.. perhaps 170 miles from a test report by Wayne Gedes, perhaps higher with no hwy driving at all. This is his hypermiling website:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/

"Hypermiler describes a driver who strives to exceed their vehicle's EPA fuel economy rating..While Hypermiling is about a variety of techniques to improve a vehicles fuel economy, Hypermiling should not be equated with dangerous driving. While some hypermilers favor certain advanced practices that entail some risk and are in some areas illegal, these are not required nor encouraged. There are many basic techniques that are safe and actually make you a better driver, it is up to you, as a driver, to find your own particular level of comfort and fuel economy."

"Some Nissan Leaf electric car owners left stranded" USAToday informed, another trouble with LEAF
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ssan-leaf-electric-car-owners-left-stranded/1
http://jalopnik.com/#!5780215
but as it was mentioned before plan your trip and you will be OK. For me still a long way to get my Leaf (Oklahoma) and I plan to use 70 miles round trip to work, but I will charge at home and work so I can't envision how range, running of of power, can be a problem for me. I do not count on charging infrastructure here but strongly believe this car will be great for me.

EdmondLeaf said:
"Some Nissan Leaf electric car owners left stranded" USAToday informed, another trouble with LEAF
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ssan-leaf-electric-car-owners-left-stranded/1
http://jalopnik.com/#!5780215
but as it was mentioned before plan your trip and you will be OK. For me still a long way to get my Leaf (Oklahoma) and I plan to use 70 miles round trip to work, but I will charge at home and work so I can't envision how range, running of of power, can be a problem for me. I do not count on charging infrastructure here but strongly believe this car will be great for me.

old news...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2917&hilit=reporter

Normally I get home from my 58 mile commute with 30 miles left on the indicator (ECO). Yesterday I drove an extra 3 miles and I got home with 37 left...it was the warmest morning so far since I started the drive with the LEAF. Not sure if was the weather, or that I have enough cycles on the car now that my battery efficiency is starting to be maximized...but I I like it! Still not quite ready for the 80% club, but if they ever come up with a 90% setting....I'd be all over it.

Very first day, 100% SOC, 88 mile range on the gauge when I picked it up at the dealer. ~55F, raining. We drove 78.5 miles, something like 70-75 of it on highway, in the rain at 65mph. We arrived home in turtle mode, stopped 3 feet short of parking in the driveway. Some of it was with the climate control on (defroster, mostly).

Normal day for 100% SOC is a stated range of 100 +/-2 miles. I drive a round trip commute on highways of about 42 miles. I arrive home with 55 miles showing on the meter, so it is -3 miles from actual. I think the last few miles on surface streets tend to increase the estimate of mileage for the next day, since it is clearly time-averaging the estimate to most recent driving.

Based on my normal commute I switched to 80% charge today, so next week I can give some estimate of performance using that. It did make me think I should edit my Nissan Leaf shirt that says "I Wake up Fully Charged" to "I Wake up 80% Charged"

I would say the stated range of 100 miles is accurate, assuming you are not on highways at 65 the whole time. The EPA range of 73 highway is also very close to correct, assuming you are on the highway, using the climate control.

krwalsh said:
Very first day, 100% SOC, 88 mile range on the gauge when I picked it up at the dealer. ~55F, raining. We drove 78.5 miles, something like 70-75 of it on highway, in the rain at 65mph. We arrived home in turtle mode, stopped 3 feet short of parking in the driveway. Some of it was with the climate control on (defroster, mostly).

Sounds about right, based on my own expectations, and I think you would have gotten very close to your 88 miles without any cc. How far were you able to drive in turtle? And how did you get enough charge to get back into the driveway - trickle on an extension cord or did you push it to where you could get your L2 plugged in?

I've been doing pretty good lately too. The key seems to be using Eco mode and staying in the 60-65 mph range with climate control off, if you can.

GeekEV said:
I've been doing pretty good lately too. The key seems to be using Eco mode and staying in the 60-65 mph range with climate control off, if you can.

hmmm, I'm thinking the strategy of leaving for the office a little later (when I-880 is a little slower) might be very workable. 63 miles RT and sounds like it will be a breeze at 55 MPH. I've gotten up to 66 MPG one way in the Prius under similar conditions (but that was only once).

Today I was stuck in slow traffic for almost my entire travels due to the luck of the draw as to when I had to travel. I averaged 7.5 miles per kilowatt today for a total of 54 miles, my best ever. My overall average (550 miles) has been about 4 .0 Mls/Kw, which includes stretches of freeway at 65 to 70. I've been figuring on 80 miles with 100% charging and that has been a good (and safe) planning number for me. That includes using CC about half the time...

gascant said:
hmmm, I'm thinking the strategy of leaving for the office a little later (when I-880 is a little slower) might be very workable. 63 miles RT and sounds like it will be a breeze at 55 MPH. I've gotten up to 66 MPG one way in the Prius under similar conditions (but that was only once).
That should be no problem at all. Even with climate control. Speed and acceleration seems to be the primary range killer, unsurprisingly. Eco mode does a wonderful (if somewhat boring) job of discouraging both. As previously observed and reported elsewhere, the heater also has more impact than the AC.

Back