LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Intermittent turtle and "reduced power" events, culminated last night with complete stall, needed to tow to dealer..

If you want the problem to be more easily reproduce-able, then I suggest you try strong acceleration with the pack just under 20% charge.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
dang10010
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2019

Re: Intermittent turtle and "reduced power" events, culminated last night with complete stall, needed to tow to dealer..

Had turtle mode again the other day when it was colder.
No codes stored in the computer, guess I'll have to wait for a full shut down and coasting in neutral.
If I take it easy I can keep it from happening, it'll probably be more challenging when it gets colder again this week.
2017 Leaf SV 73xxx+ miles located near St. Louis MO
Dropped to 9 health bars late summer 2021.
rogersleaf
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2019
Leaf Number: 307726

This sounds hauntingly similar to the problem I experienced with my '14 LEAF.
Basically the accelerator pedal goes dead after stopping event, almost into a creep mode.
That was not a true "Turtle Mode", no warning lights, no logged codes, only had this happen in cold conditions.
Sometimes I was able to get the car to respond by shifting between B and D modes, would recover as abruptly as it failed.
That problem was traced to a failing ABS-brake controller part, essentially the car's computer thinks the brake pedal was applied.
It's also 99% of the reason why I got an extended warranty plan... was going to be well over $2K to fix it out of warranty.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.
2019 SL - White - w/Tech Package
dang10010

Made it today but did have a turtle mode on the way home driving 65, 55 and it went away.
In the morning no message and I drove 65 but it had more of a charge.
I only drive 2-3 miles on the interstate so not a huge deal.
I'm keeping it topped off as best I can when its below 20 or so from now on.
cdherman
Leaf Number: 22947

Since the new 12v battery 2 weeks ago, no more complete loss of power that required towing. I have gotten the sudden "turtle mode" one more time. Its been warmer lately though, and I (as some others) have been keeping my battery nearly fully charged and kind of avoiding fast acceleration etc. I knew or assumed a new HV battery was in my future anyhow, and did not want to experience a tow again.

Today, 4th bar dropped, somewhat unexpected. So hopefully my battery woes will be gone in the next few weeks.
2016 SV 30kwh >> 40kwh 3/42022, 2014 Blue Prius, 2011 Silver Prius, 2005 Subaru Forester X, 1965 F-100
8.1KW GridTie Solar
Sold 2012 SL 42k miles, 10 bars, 12/15/16 for $5999 (cannot believe I did that)
Kansas City MO
Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

cdherman wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:14 pm Today, 4th bar dropped, somewhat unexpected. So hopefully my battery woes will be gone in the next few weeks.
That's the ticket!
Let us know how long it takes for them to ship/install the replacement pack (especially if it's a 40 kWh).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/OVMS
12v LiFePO4 battery
FIAMM 74100 horns/Wet Okole seat covers/Tor's heater mod/Dala's CAN-bridge
Lizard Pack (Rev E) installed @51 months/41k miles
40 kWh Pack (Gen2) installed @115 months/84k miles
dang10010

Sweet, with nearly identical climates I have less than a year left I'm hoping.
Congrats on the 40kWh battery, let everyone know how it goes.
cdherman

To dealer a week ago. Initially, service people at dealer were ignorant as heck. Guy calls me and say that "4 temp bars are OK" even though I had clearly stated that the vehicle had dropped 4 capacity bars.

Then, after another 24 hours of "evaluation and diagnostics" same smart young @ss tells me that I need to drop to 7 bars before warranty kicks in. I tell him he's uninformed (in less polite terms) and request a call from his manager. Sensing I am in for a fight, I just resort to calling Nissan corporate EV complaint line on the spot. They file a complaint and tell me it will be 2-3 business days to evaluate.

Then I get a call from the service manager 45 min later -- "got an email from corporate, you battery will be replaced". I am not sure just what happened behind the scene. Perhaps they were already asking for a warranty replacement before I complained. I should have waited a bit before filing a complaint, but the kid on the phone really pissed me off. In retrospect, he might have just been some red neck pickup driver doing his 'Merican duty to anger a pussy electric car driver.
2016 SV 30kwh >> 40kwh 3/42022, 2014 Blue Prius, 2011 Silver Prius, 2005 Subaru Forester X, 1965 F-100
8.1KW GridTie Solar
Kansas City MO
cdherman

Well, took 5 weeks. Got the call yesterday, picked up this AM. No where on paperwork does it say I got a 40 kwh pack, but range is 150 miles and I drove 33 miles at 71-75 mph and used only 31%, which implies a solid 100 miles of range at that speed. That my 30 kwh battery was never capable of. I'll Leaf Spy it after a couple days/charge cycles and see what it shows.

Interestingly, the young fellow who angered me with his comment that "It needs to be at 7 bars before warranty" no longer works at the dealership. Coincidence? Who knows. Guy today was far better.
8.1KW GridTie Solar
Kansas City MO
DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

cdherman wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:53 am I too have been getting intermittent episodes of reduced power output in cold weather under acceleration or high speed. My battery is at 66.5% Was down to 65.3%, but I needed to fast charge to get home the other day, and it bumped back to 67% Lots of variation showing in the cell charges. I am not too savy in understanding much of LeafSpy information.

I've been reading here, and I had been assuming that I was getting close to dropping the 4th bar and thereafter would be getting a new battery. So I ignored the semi-turtle events.

Then yesterday afternoon, 2 bat temp bars, 20 deg F, 68% battery charge, I am doing 65,mph on a slight upward incline. I feel it reduce power and slow some, did not pay much attention to dash initially.

THEN, car loses ALL power. Lights on dash all light up including a check engine light I've not seen before. The nice voice announces I should pull over (still coasting at this point" and set the Parking Brake. I later find that the car has defaulted to Neutral.

Was able to get off the interstate. I failed to take pictures of the various error messages (was getting out of traffic and making a lot of driving decisions). But on the side of the road, I shut down the Leaf and restarted. No changes. Still multiple error lights. Woud not shift into D. Climate control giving no heat (could not hear heat pump). Heated seat interesting still functional.

4.2 Miles from dealer where I originally purchased and AAA member, so 45 minutes later I handed the key fob to the dealer service guy and that was that. Their Leaf technician has weekend off. Will know more on Monday. I did not try to look at things with LeafSpy or my other OBDII diagnostic program. I was freezing, as I had no heat and only was wearing scrubs and light jacket......

I have not read where anyone else was having the cold weather turtle/reduction of power where the vehicle actually finally died. We will see. I will post more when I know more. Perhaps will get my new battery soon.....
Run LEAF Spy until the event happens. Logs will show a cell or two (only takes one) hitting cutoff voltage. I see these kinds of posts a half dozen times a year in the Canada group. Cold weather aggravates weaker cells and if its cold enough, will affect not so weak cells.

Problem with these events (as you now know) is BMS registers nothing so no codes to prove your claim. One guy after having this happen twice with trips to the dealership for each event with them taking at least a day or two to come back and say "no problemo here. Enjoy your day!"

When it became obvious that it was repeatable, he started videoing his commutes and within a week was able to capture the issues. He now has a new pack. This happened over several months. FYI; never did see a code of any kind.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 25,047 mi, 92.12% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”