cgaydos
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635
Location: Monument, Colorado

Leaf dead - no power of any kind

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi folks,

Been many years since I posted here. I have a 2011 Leaf that sat idle for a few weeks and the 12V battery ran down. I jumped it successfully but the security light on the dashboard stayed on after starting. Drove it about 5 miles to give the 12V battery time to charge then went back into the garage to charge it. Oddly, that 5 mile charge caused 4 of the battery bars to drop. This is a severely degraded original battery, but I've never seen a discharge rate anywhere close.

Well, I plug in but it won't charge. I try to start it again and I get a dashboard screen but it won't charge and now NONE of the battery bars show. The 12V battery is clearly near full charge (I get all the usual beeps and full lights and everything) but the car won't start nor will it accept the charge.

The three blue lights on the dashboard are all on, very dim, and flicking at an extremely rapid rate.

Come back an hour later and now the 12V battery is again drained but it won't start even with a cable jump. And of course it now won't charge.

Questions:
1) Any idea what happened here?
2) Of course the electric brake was set on and the gear in Park. I don't suppose anyone has actually dealt with the procedures to unset these? I found a Leaf dismantling manual on-line and there is a manual way to disable the Parking break but changing gear assumes you can get some kind of electricity running in the vehicle.

Thanks for any help.
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 17111
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Leaf dead - no power of any kind

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:56 pm

The 12V battery is clearly near full charge (I get all the usual beeps and full lights and everything) but the car won't start nor will it accept the charge.
I think that this is incorrect, and a near-dead 12 volt battery is still the problem. If the accessory battery isn't too damaged to accept a full charge, then that is what it needs - with an external charger. The early Leafs often do a poor job of charging the accessory battery, and I think that the mistake that you made was to not fully charge it with an external charger either before or while the main battery was charging.

There is a procedure for releasing the electric parking brake, but I don't know it. I'm sure someone here will.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cgaydos
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635
Location: Monument, Colorado

Re: Leaf dead - no power of any kind

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:20 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:56 pm
The 12V battery is clearly near full charge (I get all the usual beeps and full lights and everything) but the car won't start nor will it accept the charge.
I think that this is incorrect, and a near-dead 12 volt battery is still the problem. If the accessory battery isn't too damaged to accept a full charge, then that is what it needs - with an external charger. The early Leafs often do a poor job of charging the accessory battery, and I think that the mistake that you made was to not fully charge it with an external charger either before or while the main battery was charging.

There is a procedure for releasing the electric parking brake, but I don't know it. I'm sure someone here will.
Update. It appears to be working now. My son - who since my last post years ago has earned a BS and an MS EE - took a look at it and we were able to jump it to start and did all kinds of testing, including looking at the battery with the Spy app. Nothing looks wrong except the security warning light stays one. It was able to start again after turning off, no problem. It accepts a charge. 12V battery is fully charged. I dunno. Wondering if the Leaf has some kind of all-systems-shut-down protocol that it goes for for a period of time.

I did find a LEAF dismantling manual on-line from Nissan and it described the procedure for turning off the electric brake manually, but getting it out of park requires getting some power to the car. So for now we're putting it in Neutral but with the brake on before turning it off.
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 2997
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Leaf dead - no power of any kind

Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:55 pm

The actions you see are indicative of a very weak 12V battery. The security system will activate when 12V power becomes available after being lost (jump starting after deep discharge, for example). If the 12V battery sat discharged for a period of time, it is likely ruined and taking just enough charge to activate some of the 12V systems on the car. You may need to use Leaf Spy Pro to clear DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes) after making sure you have a reliable 12V battery.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 17111
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Leaf dead - no power of any kind

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:00 pm

It should be noted that a damaged 12 volt battery can appear to be ok when recharged, and even to seem fully charged, more or less. Often, though, the voltage collapses under real load, and the battery's actual remaining capacity is tiny. If you can swap in a healthy, fully charged 12 volt battery, see what happens. Or if the battery is more than 2 years old, just replace it, fully charging the new battery before or after installation with an external charger.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jjeff
Posts: 2412
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Leaf dead - no power of any kind

Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:24 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:00 pm
It should be noted that a damaged 12 volt battery can appear to be ok when recharged, and even to seem fully charged, more or less. Often, though, the voltage collapses under real load, and the battery's actual remaining capacity is tiny. If you can swap in a healthy, fully charged 12 volt battery, see what happens. Or if the battery is more than 2 years old, just replace it, fully charging the new battery before or after installation with an external charger.
Totally agree with this :) The only way to really check the voltage of a battery is under load, as Leafie said it might read just fine with a voltmeter under no load but as soon as you give it a load, it collapses.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

cgaydos
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635
Location: Monument, Colorado

Re: Leaf dead - no power of any kind

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:49 am

GerryAZ wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:55 pm
The actions you see are indicative of a very weak 12V battery. The security system will activate when 12V power becomes available after being lost (jump starting after deep discharge, for example). If the 12V battery sat discharged for a period of time, it is likely ruined and taking just enough charge to activate some of the 12V systems on the car. You may need to use Leaf Spy Pro to clear DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes) after making sure you have a reliable 12V battery.
Thanks for the reply. My son also thinks the battery is bad. We'll do the DTC clearing as well after we replace it.

Interestingly, today everything looks good..... but understand that this could change quickly.
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Posts: 6391
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Leaf dead - no power of any kind

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:02 pm

I've had a couple fits of (more than usual) laziness this past month, and instead of putting the 12v on an external charger, I just left the car 'on' for about an hour.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

rpiotro
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:06 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 302146

Re: Leaf dead - no power of any kind

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:46 am

Is the 12V battery the original? If you are dealing with a 10 year old battery then there's your problem. Just replace the darn thing already. Don't need a degree to know that.
2020 Nissan Leaf SL+, 2012 Mercedes SLK 350, 2014 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid SOLD

Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what is was you heard --Grace Slick

User avatar
Stanton
Posts: 2377
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Leaf dead - no power of any kind

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:20 pm

I had barely read beyond the thread title when I knew...it's the 12v battery.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/OVMS
12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns/Wet Okole seat covers/Tor's heater mod/Dala's CAN-bridge
Lizard Pack (Rev E) installed @51 months/41k miles
40 kWh Pack (Gen2) installed @115 months/85k miles

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”