24 kWh Battery replacement cost back down to $5500

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boxman said:
goldbrick said:
My understanding is the it is the 30kWh packs that have been discontinued. 24kWh are still replaced with same but 30kWh warranty replacements are getting 40kWh packs.

Really? The 40kWh pack actually fits?
The 40 KWH bolts directly in, A quick spin through the Diagnostic Computer to match up the SN's and you are good to go. A 62 KWH fits with some modifications to the mounts as well. So much for Nissan telling us it couldn't be done.

My 2011 Leaf is now 9 years old, has 31,000 miles and 10 bars left; Since we only drive it locally, I'm wondering when to replace the battery. Also, I'm disappointed that Nissan, or a responsible third party, hasn't offered longer-range-updated replacement batteries by now.

There are about 430,000 First generation Leafs worldwide and that's a large population of cars that will all need replacement batteries; that's a large market for batteries.

fotajoye said:
My 2011 Leaf is now 9 years old, has 31,000 miles and 10 bars left; Since we only drive it locally, I'm wondering when to replace the battery. Also, I'm disappointed that Nissan, or a responsible third party, hasn't offered longer-range-updated replacement batteries by now.

There are about 430,000 First generation Leafs worldwide and that's a large population of cars that will all need replacement batteries; that's a large market for batteries.

This may be the Sweet Spot for you, time-wise: even if the price stays the same, the 24kwh batteries they have left will be aging on the shelf. Also, a 10 bar 24kwh pack, even a 'Canary' pack, is still worth something if you want to sell it and not get $1k back from Nissan as a core refund.

fotajoye said:

There are actually now a handful of options for upgrading to larger packs but most are geographically challenging. There is one in WA who has done it successfully with a very well known LEAF but they are sourcing salvage 40 kwh packs so the price varies by the cost of obtaining the packs.

BUT a Nissan warranty at a price likely under $6,000 is a very good option. If you are seriously thinking about it, I would do it quickly. Nissan tends to change rather quickly on a lot of these things.

fotajoye said:
My 2011 Leaf is now 9 years old, has 31,000 miles and 10 bars left; Since we only drive it locally, I'm wondering when to replace the battery.
I wouldn't consider replacing the battery unless the remaining range is no longer sufficient for your local driving. There's nothing wrong with a degraded battery; it just has less range.

And if the range is no longer sufficient, depending upon your financial circumstances and the local offers in your area, something like $18K (after rebates/tax credits) for a new LEAF or Bolt might be a much better option than putting $6K into a 9 year old car. You'd end up with a car with much more range and value.

My 2011 LEAF with 45K miles and a marginally performing 8 bar battery is at the dealer in Albuquerque getting a new 24 kWhr battery. All in, about $5500 (less sales tax, probably). Looking forward to returning to using this car as much as I did when it was new!

Steve in New Mexico

I saw it mentioned elsewhere that Nissan will now replace your Gen1 Leaf battery for $5500 (not $9000 or $30,000 as some have experienced).

Can anyone confirm this, and if anyone on this forum has done said battery replacement, how did it go?

zialeaf said:
My 2011 LEAF with 45K miles and a marginally performing 8 bar battery is at the dealer in Albuquerque getting a new 24 kWhr battery. All in, about $5500 (less sales tax, probably). Looking forward to returning to using this car as much as I did when it was new!

Steve in New Mexico

How did it go, Steve?

I saw it mentioned elsewhere that Nissan will now replace your Gen1 Leaf battery for $5500 (not $9000 or $30,000 as some have experienced).

Can anyone confirm this, and if anyone on this forum has done said battery replacement, how did it go?

There is an existing topic on this, and I'll move your post there soon.

jlv said:
fotajoye said:
My 2011 Leaf is now 9 years old, has 31,000 miles and 10 bars left; Since we only drive it locally, I'm wondering when to replace the battery.
I wouldn't consider replacing the battery unless the remaining range is no longer sufficient for your local driving. There's nothing wrong with a degraded battery; it just has less range.

And if the range is no longer sufficient, depending upon your financial circumstances and the local offers in your area, something like $18K (after rebates/tax credits) for a new LEAF or Bolt might be a much better option than putting $6K into a 9 year old car. You'd end up with a car with much more range and value.

I am sorry, buy you cannot get a NEW Leaf for $18K, of even a Bolt. They are not that available, and the dealers will not negotiate too much from sticker price.

As for me, A $5K replacement would be a good deal because I will be darned if I give Nissan $40K for even a Plus Leaf. That is too much for a specialty car that has a dubious future. After owning a New Leaf for 6 years, I will invest $$ for repairs on my owned car, but will not Give Nissan MORE NEW $$$ on their latest half-baked products. The way I see the new Leaf, it has lost its allure as a up-and-coming product and become a fringe curiosity product that will be discontinued at any moment...

I would rather spend $40K on a fully loaded Minivan or a $15K Versa with a manual transmission if I want to save $$$.

As @powersurge put it: “ As for me, A $5K replacement would be a good deal because I will be darned if I give Nissan $40K for even a Plus Leaf. That is too much for a specialty car that has a dubious future. After owning a New Leaf for 6 years, I will invest $$ for repairs on my owned car, buy not Give Nissan MORE NEW $$$ on their latest half-baked products.”

I used to agree to both points, maintain an owned car but no new money to Nissan. However over time, I've gotten bitter about Nissan’s handling of early battery capacity losses. I have signed up with Fenix for a replacement but I’m even rethinking that. To not warranty capacity from the get go borders on criminal and forced the 5-year, 4-bar capacity warranty for vehicles in hot climates, and I did not qualify. Today, though, I barely eke out 30-35 miles on a full electron tank in city driving. No ICE vehicle I’ve ever owned or heard of had its gas tank shrink to hold less energy range over time, let alone to less than half its original size. That Nissan didn’t properly back its early batteries is to me both a shame for the EV and for early owner’s pocketbooks. Yes, they’ve improved the batteries and capacity retention, but come on now, $5500 for a new electron tank?

Yeah, no more Nissan logos in my driveway. And when I locate the used Model S I like and is priced for me, my 2012 LEAF SL goes to the charity du jour. So yes, I’m a bit bitter here.

Boxman said:
zialeaf said:

Steve in New Mexico

How did it go, Steve?

Unfortunately it turned into a fiasco. Upon removing the original battery, a pack rat infestation was discovered, complete with a large, live pack rat who had been along for the ride, which then bolted and ran out of the shop.

Wiring damage was discovered. Insurance claim filed. Insurance company formula blows up, they declare the vehicle a "total loss." Insurance company now saying my only options are take their offer, or buy the car from them! Currently arguing with them. Dealer is keen to help (they obviously need the business), and is bending over backwards to with a killer deal for replacing the damaged wiring harness and installing the new battery. I need to resolve the dispute with my insurance company before I can move forward.

So my LEAF is currently in limbo at the dealer, battery is out, and it's going nowhere for now! The new battery is hanging out, waiting to be installed.

Steve

Boxman said:

I got a replacement battery this month for my 2011. Total price including labor and all taxes and fees was under $6,000 ($4,500 for the battery, just under $1,500 for the labor and tax, etc.). Took a few weeks for the battery to arrive, and the people at the dealership (not the technician) were pretty clueless about how the processed worked, but it was done faster than the original estimate (of 6-8 weeks; it took more like 4 weeks for the battery to be delivered) and everything works great. No regrets. New battery has a 100% state of health.

LeftieBiker said:

There is an existing topic on this, and I'll move your post there soon.

Oops I forgot I’d actually posted on this very thread a month ago! Thanks for moving this.

theblueleaf said:
Boxman said:

I got a replacement battery this month for my 2011. Total price including labor and all taxes and fees was under $6,000 ($4,500 for the battery, just under $1,500 for the labor and tax, etc.). Took a few weeks for the battery to arrive, and the people at the dealership (not the technician) were pretty clueless about how the processed worked, but it was done faster than the original estimate (of 6-8 weeks; it took more like 4 weeks for the battery to be delivered) and everything works great. No regrets. New battery has a 100% state of health.

Great to hear; thanks for the feedback!

johnlocke said:
Boxman said:
goldbrick said:
My understanding is the it is the 30kWh packs that have been discontinued. 24kWh are still replaced with same but 30kWh warranty replacements are getting 40kWh packs.

Really? The 40kWh pack actually fits?
The 40 KWH bolts directly in, A quick spin through the Diagnostic Computer to match up the SN's and you are good to go. A 62 KWH fits with some modifications to the mounts as well. So much for Nissan telling us it couldn't be done.

So buy a used 2016 or 2017 30kWh Leaf with a bunch of miles on it, then bring to Nissan dealer and they’ll install a new 40kWh battery for $5500?

So buy a used 2016 or 2017 30kWh Leaf with a bunch of miles on it, then bring to Nissan dealer and they’ll install a new 40kWh battery for $5500?

Better yet, buy a '16 or '17 30kwh Leaf with three or four capacity bars missing, and when four bars have dropped Nissan will install a new, free, 40kwh pack under the battery capacity warranty. You do have to have a software patch done first, and that may (or may not) extend the bar life for a while.

I have a contact on the inside that supplied me with the prices that Nissan pays for these packs in EU
nEW7WAH.jpg

24kWh - 17666€
30kWh - 22730€
40kWh - 20871€
62kWh - 28897€

Note that it is cheaper for Nissan to use 40kWh packs instead of 30kWh when doing warranty work. Nissan isn't doing any goodwill here, they are simply profiting.

Back