Re: Electrify America Network

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:54 pm

coleafrado wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:21 pm
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:32 am
coleafrado wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 pm
Had an EA charger give the error "VEHICLE_JINSIGNAL_REMOVED" earlier today. Whatever that means, a charger restart didn't help - but the car charged fine at an EVgo station. :roll:
Calling customer support did not fix the issue?
They rebooted the station to no avail, so they credited my account with a comp charging session and I left.
Well damn. EA is using 4 different hardware manufacturers. Wondering if any vendor has a higher failure rate than the rest? All the ones I have used (the list is NOT extensive) has worked fine for me.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 10,081 mi, 95.03% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Notified for this location:

2401 45th Street
Sacramento, CA 95816

I can't find it on Plugshare... Or on EA's map. Is it real?
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:53 am

I used EA for the first time on Monday 3/16 (my 1st WFH day) w/my Bolt and it wasn't a good experience. Verbiage in work emails was getting stronger and stronger about working from home before the county then state (COVID-19) lockdowns came. I Joined Pass+ ($4/mo) so that I could get no session fee and 18 cents/minute. I figured I'd be charging a bunch over there in the future due to not being allowed to go into work (where I got free juice).

I figured that if i could achieve 50+ kW rates (from 0 to ~55%), it'd be about 18 cents/kWh, thus cheaper than me charging at home.

Arrived a location that was FINALLY opened after being in place for months. I only used their app. 1st charger didn't work and couldn't get past whatever the initial phase was. Its credit card reader also showed a network error. I move to another charger but their stupid app decides to throw up an error saying "This session is outside of plan parameters" and thus wanted to charge the normal Pass price of $1 session fee + 25 cents/minute. No thanks!

I called CS. CSR was super friendly, confirmed that was wrong and that I had Pass+. After he went to check on things and started the sessions remotely, which didn't help, he said just go ahead an charge and they'll credit me the difference. He was wishy washy on whether it'd be automatic or I'd need to contact them again. He mentioned 3-5 business days. So far, I've not seen any credit. In the end, I spent 19 minutes on the phone w/them, a fair # of minutes on hold while he checked on things.

Worst part was the charging rate was slow. I guess my battery was cold. Outside air temp was 44 F. (I don't know my battery temp.) EA's UI isn't great and doesn't seem to continually show the charging rate. I saw 27 kW (possibly even 25 kW) and it gradually rose. I got fed up and took off by the time it hit 35 kW. In the end, I got 6.3 kWh and it took 12:29. I started 24% SoC and ended at 34% SoC. I was incorrectly charged $1 session fee + $3.12 energy fee = $4.12. My correct price should be $2.25, which still makes it quite expensive at over ~35.7 cents/kWh (more than it costs to charge at home).

When I was having trouble/looking around, I noticed that someone was remotely connected to 1 or 2 of the chargers and I could see they were running some version of Windows.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:41 am

cwerdna wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:53 am
I used EA for the first time on Monday 3/16 (my 1st WFH day) w/my Bolt and it wasn't a good experience. Verbiage in work emails was getting stronger and stronger about working from home before the county then state (COVID-19) lockdowns came. I Joined Pass+ ($4/mo) so that I could get no session fee and 18 cents/minute. I figured I'd be charging a bunch over there in the future due to not being allowed to go into work (where I got free juice).

I figured that if i could achieve 50+ kW rates (from 0 to ~55%), it'd be about 18 cents/kWh, thus cheaper than me charging at home.

Arrived a location that was FINALLY opened after being in place for months. I only used their app. 1st charger didn't work and couldn't get past whatever the initial phase was. Its credit card reader also showed a network error. I move to another charger but their stupid app decides to throw up an error saying "This session is outside of plan parameters" and thus wanted to charge the normal Pass price of $1 session fee + 25 cents/minute. No thanks!

I called CS. CSR was super friendly, confirmed that was wrong and that I had Pass+. After he went to check on things and started the sessions remotely, which didn't help, he said just go ahead an charge and they'll credit me the difference. He was wishy washy on whether it'd be automatic or I'd need to contact them again. He mentioned 3-5 business days. So far, I've not seen any credit. In the end, I spent 19 minutes on the phone w/them, a fair # of minutes on hold while he checked on things.

Worst part was the charging rate was slow. I guess my battery was cold. Outside air temp was 44 F. (I don't know my battery temp.) EA's UI isn't great and doesn't seem to continually show the charging rate. I saw 27 kW (possibly even 25 kW) and it gradually rose. I got fed up and took off by the time it hit 35 kW. In the end, I got 6.3 kWh and it took 12:29. I started 24% SoC and ended at 34% SoC. I was incorrectly charged $1 session fee + $3.12 energy fee = $4.12. My correct price should be $2.25, which still makes it quite expensive at over ~35.7 cents/kWh (more than it costs to charge at home).

When I was having trouble/looking around, I noticed that someone was remotely connected to 1 or 2 of the chargers and I could see they were running some version of Windows.
Sounds like your rate was higher than the station displayed. You need Bolt Spy. FYI; I am using my EVGO credit and I am only getting 32-33 cents/kwh during peak @ 25 cents per minute. As far as the cold pack charging; I don't understand that at all.

I did a side by side at EA with Bolt on a morning where Bolt drove 30 miles to the station and I drove 3.4 miles and yeah my car was garaged but hadn't been charged in 3 days so my batt temps were in the mid 40's. (its garaged at night but spends over 12 hours a day outside on work days.)

Well, he started at 22 KW, I started at 71 KW. He finally hit 40 KW after 15 minutes and 45 KW but only for about 15 minutes before the ramp down due to SOC (I guess) happened. I peaked at 73.8 KW before ramping down at 44% SOC.

IceGate testing on 62 kwh packs has revealed the same basic charging pattern where peak current starts dropping earlier than normal. I anticipate maintaining peak current (200 amps) over 50% during Summer (55 % is my guess)

RapidGate however is completely different on the 62 kwh. No full data yet but in the few instances of charging with a warmer pack, I am seeing full current initially with ramp down happening at a lower SOC. Typical on 120 amp machines is knee (current ramp down) at 70% SOC under optimum conditions. I did see it as low as 55% during 3 sessions with pack in low 100's.

Although not ideal, 55% is enough range to get me down the road so avoiding a higher cost to charge is doable with concessions.

FYI; during the charge sessions I received 23.1 kwh in 22 minutes. The Bolt received 21.1 kwh in 38 minutes.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 10,081 mi, 95.03% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Sounds like your rate was higher than the station displayed. You need Bolt Spy. FYI; I am using my EVGO credit and I am only getting 32-33 cents/kwh during peak @ 25 cents per minute. As far as the cold pack charging; I don't understand that at all.

I did a side by side at EA with Bolt on a morning where Bolt drove 30 miles to the station and I drove 3.4 miles and yeah my car was garaged but hadn't been charged in 3 days so my batt temps were in the mid 40's. (its garaged at night but spends over 12 hours a day outside on work days.)

Well, he started at 22 KW, I started at 71 KW. He finally hit 40 KW after 15 minutes and 45 KW but only for about 15 minutes before the ramp down due to SOC (I guess) happened.
What the charger displayed was probably accurate for me. I almost never DC FC and this was my 1st time on a paid one and one that charged by time, at that. There is no Bolt Spy. Closest is Torque Pro with the necessary OBD2 dongle. When I have some time, I'll look into it.

https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/chevr ... ing.35146/ came out on March 2, 2020 so I obviously don't have it. I've only had time to look at a few comparisons and it apparently doesn't help that much and also doesn't alter the pre-2020 behavior of having these sharp drops at particular % SoCs. 2020 Bolts apparently have a more gradual drop at each % SoC mark.

I'll probably get the above update done in the near future, but I doubt it'll help me much.

Lesson learned for me is not to use a charge-by-time DC FC when my battery's cold. There are several 25 cent/kWh DCFCs (62.5 kW) at ChargePoint HQ and I have hit 54 or 55 kW on them before when they were free. But, my battery was warmer then. They're not near home and it's not worth my while to make a trip out there unless I'm going to be in the area. I did use them recently (paying $) when I was in they area.

I did submit my experience/feedback on Plugshare about the EA location, including a request for per kWh billing instead of by time.

Because I need to WFH for who knows how long (months?), WFH + some home EV charging will push me into tier 2. Currently, my off-peak (cheapest) PG&E rates in tier 2 are 29.222 cents/kWh. Partial-peak (rest of day) are 30.905 cents/kWh.

Once we hit "summer" (begins May 1), my tier 2 rates for peak, partial-peak, and off-peak per kWh are 48.1, 36.3 and 28.8 cents/kWh. This comes from page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/ ... DS_E-6.pdf. They update those rates every few months.

Prior to my county (and now state) lockdown, almost all of my EV juice came from free L2 charging at work.

Another annoying part about EA is this (from https://www.electrifyamerica.com/faqs):
How do I change from one membership type to another?

In your account, go to Plan details and follow the prompts to change plan types. Please note that a request to change from Pass+ to Pass membership will only go into effect on the 1st day of the next billing cycle, which coincides with the monthly anniversary of your sign-up date.
So, I was in a sense forced to choose Pass+ from the beginning. If I chose Pass (no monthly fee) then if I wanted to switch to Pass+, I'd have to wait up to a month for it to take effect. :(

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

coleafrado

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:21 am

cwerdna wrote:
So, I was in a sense forced to choose Pass+ from the beginning. If I chose Pass (no monthly fee) then if I wanted to switch to Pass+, I'd have to wait up to a month for it to take effect. :(
Nothing stopping you from making a new, separate account.

DaveinOlyWA

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:41 am

cwerdna wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:

Well, he started at 22 KW, I started at 71 KW. He finally hit 40 KW after 15 minutes and 45 KW but only for about 15 minutes before the ramp down due to SOC (I guess) happened.
What the charger displayed was probably accurate for me. I almost never DC FC and this was my 1st time on a paid one and one that charged by time, at that. There is no Bolt Spy. Closest is Torque Pro with the necessary OBD2 dongle. When I have some time, I'll look into it.

https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/chevr ... ing.35146/ came out on March 2, 2020 so I obviously don't have it. I've only had time to look at a few comparisons and it apparently doesn't help that much and also doesn't alter the pre-2020 behavior of having these sharp drops at particular % SoCs. 2020 Bolts apparently have a more gradual drop at each % SoC mark.

I'll probably get the above update done in the near future, but I doubt it'll help me much.

Lesson learned for me is not to use a charge-by-time DC FC when my battery's cold. There are several 25 cent/kWh DCFCs (62.5 kW) at ChargePoint HQ and I have hit 54 or 55 kW on them before when they were free. But, my battery was warmer then. They're not near home and it's not worth my while to make a trip out there unless I'm going to be in the area. I did use them recently (paying $) when I was in they area.

I did submit my experience/feedback on Plugshare about the EA location, including a request for per kWh billing instead of by time.

Because I need to WFH for who knows how long (months?), WFH + some home EV charging will push me into tier 2. Currently, my off-peak (cheapest) PG&E rates in tier 2 are 29.222 cents/kWh. Partial-peak (rest of day) are 30.905 cents/kWh.

Once we hit "summer" (begins May 1), my tier 2 rates for peak, partial-peak, and off-peak per kWh are 48.1, 36.3 and 28.8 cents/kWh. This comes from page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/ ... DS_E-6.pdf. They update those rates every few months.

Prior to my county (and now state) lockdown, almost all of my EV juice came from free L2 charging at work.

Another annoying part about EA is this (from https://www.electrifyamerica.com/faqs):

In your account, go to Plan details and follow the prompts to change plan types. Please note that a request to change from Pass+ to Pass membership will only go into effect on the 1st day of the next billing cycle, which coincides with the monthly anniversary of your sign-up date.
Granted its much slower but no free level 2's in the area? Guessing if you had them, they would be overrun but something to consider

I do see your reasons for not charging at home. Your Summer rates are rather extreme. But Summer should mean much less cold battery issues as well.

I would definitely invest in whatever battery app the Bolt can use. It seems rather important in your case to know the temperature ranges for optimum charging.

DaveinOlyWA

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:41 am

cwerdna wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:

Granted its much slower but no free level 2's in the area? Guessing if you had them, they would be overrun but something to consider

I do see your reasons for not charging at home. Your Summer rates are rather extreme. But Summer should mean much less cold battery issues as well.

I would definitely invest in whatever battery app the Bolt can use. It seems rather important in your case to know the temperature ranges for optimum charging.

GRA

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:19 pm

Saturday, EA reduced the number of "Coming Soon" sites from 108 to106. I'm not going to try to find which ones are gone on my phone.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:29 pm

Two sites are open, don't know where.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”