Steering Wheel Heater

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanuckEVDriver

This likely is more important in colder climates (like Canada).

The steering wheel heater element only heats the outside perimeter of the steering wheel.

It would be nice if the element were to wrap around the steering wheel so that your fingers would also warm up, and not just the palm of the hand. Especially on mornings with -10 degree C (or colder) weather.

(On the 2018 models at least, not sure of pre-2018)

CanuckEVDriver said:
This likely is more important in colder climates (like Canada).

The steering wheel heater element only heats the outside perimeter of the steering wheel.

It would be nice if the element were to wrap around the steering wheel so that your fingers would also warm up, and not just the palm of the hand. Especially on mornings with -10 degree C (or colder) weather.

(On the 2018 models at least, not sure of pre-2018)
I normally run my heater with defrost and floor heat, no A/C. I drove someone elses Leaf who had floor and front vents on and they had the front vents pointed at the back of their fingers when on the steering wheel, I'll be darned if it didn't warm the back of my fingers :)
Of course if you need defrost, this won't work but it does have me rethinking my normal setting for those occasions when I don't need defrost. It was nice having warm fingers and not just the palms :)

LeftieBiker said:
Just think of those "poor" Model 3 drivers who paid $65k for a car with no steering wheel heater at all.
Indeed! I use my 2012 LEAF for all cool/cold weather driving (local only of course due to range), and fully pre-heat the Model 3 for any longer range need. For me the lack of steering wheel heat on the 3 is one of those “...and just what were they thinking?” items.

I haven't noticed that it only heats on the outside, but I never had one before. Just having a heated steering wheel is nice since my last car didn't have it at all. It does feel like the Leaf doesn't get as bitter cold as an ICE car. Except for last week when it was way below freezing my Leaf has been comfortable even without running the heat. I remember driving in my ICE car last winter and freezing until the thing finally warmed up a little (which was about half way to work). The Leaf is cool, but not bitter cold.

Back